1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 Oil Change Interval Revised? Not yet... (closed)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sphyrna, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raidbuck

raidbuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I get free oil changes from my dealer. I didn't notice until 2800 miles after my first that the little top-left sticker said re-fill with 5W30. So I went to the dealer. He said Toyota told him to use the 5W30 synthetic from Toyota for all their cars. I never heard of such a thing and figured it must be a regional thing. Has anyone heard of this?

However, they did a new oil change with 0W20 and the sticker says 0W20 as well.

When I asked about the 10K interval the serivce director said they were aware of it, but when I checked the sticker it had a 5K interval. Well, I do have very clean oil right now. I also think I may have gained 1 MPG with the change. I've been averaging 49 MPG (51 on the display) but have had two tanks now with over 52 on the display.

Rich N.

2. Grateful11

Grateful11 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I talked to the Service Manager at Scott Clark Toyota in Charlotte today about oil changes and such and he said ours came with synthetic and the 10K revision is still being discussed. This is a very large high volume dealer so not sure he his info is correct or not. He did say they've been using Kendall oil for many years after they had a supply problem with Castrol. He also said a synthetic oil change and normal fluid check, tire check, etc. would be $49.95. Scott Clark offers a lifetime powertrain warranty if you stick to all your routine maintenance, doesn't matter who does it as long as it's documented, he said I could do it if I wanted to.

3. Andy_H

Andy_H New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    6 Months or 5000 miles with 0W-20 Synthetic

I called Toyota USA's 'Customer Experience Center' in Torrance, CA this afternoon and asked about the 2010 oil change interval and oil recommendation. I said that a friend saw a release that appeared to be from Toyota Corporate that said the 2010 Prius was moving to a 10,000 mile oil change interval and that I wanted to confirm the change.

The support tech said without hesitation that the Corporate position is to stay with a 6 month or 5000 mile oil change interval for both normal and severe service.

I said that my local dealer insisted on using 5W-30 petroleum oil in place of 0W-20 synthetic for oil changes. The tech confirmed that 0W-20 synthetic was the correct oil to use and that the dealer is incorrect in using 5W-30.

Many dealers have 'preferred customer' or 'customer loyalty' parts discounts that range from 10-20% - one just has to ask. That might help the wallet a bit.

Andy

2 people like this.
  4. jaws3

jaws3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    the Parts section of the toyota carries this part for 12.95$ plus tax. 64mm.

filers are $7.00 plus each at parts section.

Same dealer changes $55.00 for M1 0w-20 oil and filer change.

5. raidbuck

raidbuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: 6 Months or 5000 miles with 0W-20 Synthetic

So you are the second one whose dealer uses 5W30 instead of 0W20. I thought it was just the Central Atlantic region. I think the new interval will take many months to really take effect, and the warning message must also be changed.

Rich N.

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

My guess is they just don't have the other in stock yet and don't worry about it too much since they know they can fudge. Maybe the prius is the only one that uses 0W-20W.
    Lazy dealer or no supply?

7. Ohpoh

Ohpoh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Just got my 5000 miles oil change today at longo toyota in el monte california. I asked the service man if the intervals have been changed to 10000? He said its still at 5000 miles intervals. I also asked if they use 0w-20 on this current oil change(used my free oil change coupon) he really didnt know and just stated whatever the car manuel says. So im not sure if he knew about the updates on the prius and im not sure if they put in the 0w-20 synthetic that is recommended.
    The repair reciept statement states they used 0w-20, but who really trusts that. Until i see them actually put synthetic in, i have to change my oil at 5000 miles. Cant take that chance on my new car

8. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Generation III

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Change mine a 990 miles - using Mobile 1 now. I am planning an changing at the 6000 interval - with the best filter I can purchase.

Mr. Bill

9. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My car (which I bought yesterday) has says "SAE 0W20" on the cap. As far as I know you can't get 0W20 in anything but full synthetic.... Mobile-1 comes in that viscosity though it may be hard to find at local part's stores and you might need to order jugs.

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Walleyworld has at least quarts and in some places 5 quart jugs. A quart here runs about 6.27.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mobil 1 0W20 should is available at Wal-Mart, here it is priced at $6.27 per quart. It is not available in the 5 quart containers yet. It is what I have decided to use along with quite a few others on this site. I think you are correct about 0W20 oils being synthetic, I have not heard of one which isn't.

EDIT: Just saw Spiderman's post maybe I'll be able to get it in a 5 quart bottle next time.

12. Mike Bravo

Mike Bravo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sale at Advance Auto: I bought Mobil 1, 0W-20 synthetic (green cap) at Advance Auto --$30 for 5 quarts and one Mobil 1 filter. That is $6 per quart, w/o the filter. But, I cannot find/do not see a Mobil 1 filter for the 2010. Still, got the oil for me and the filter for the other car. Advance Auto also let me get another filter of equal or lesser price, so you could get 6 qts of Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic and a Purolator filter for $30.

Not sure if this is a regional sale (New England) or not.

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mike see if they have a filter for 09 Corolla, same thing.

2 people like this.
  14. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also Auto Zone, out here on the West Coast, had the same sale. They let me substitute a STP brand filter which was for the '10 Prius.

15. Mike Bravo

Mike Bravo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Mobil 1 site says, "Mobil 1 Model N/A" for the 09 Corolla. They recommend a Fram or Champion model. Perhaps they don't make one for that 1.8 engine.

I have a few oil filters and other items from metrotpn dot com Good prices.

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  17. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    $45 for 10 oil filters is a great deal, but the 10 drain plug washers for $12 is not. You can pick up 5 washers in the material of your choice (rubber, nylon, copper, etc) for about $2 at any auto parts store.

Bryan

18. neilz

neilz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In any new car that I have ever owned, I would never use a non OEM filter or part for that car while it is under warranty.

19. Mike Bravo

Mike Bravo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A non OEM filter cannot void your warranty.

20. wildbottom

wildbottom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you are still under Toyota Warranty, you follow the 6month/5k recommended interval.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.