1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 Oil Change Interval Revised? Not yet... (closed)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sphyrna, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaywolf

jaywolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Care to go 25K between oil changes?..for about 9.10 a quart?
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asm.aspx

3. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What does it cost to ship six quarts?

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

LOL!.....Shipping came up to 9.10 for shipping for me... funny since thats the exact price per quart.... what a coincidence!

5. Benggolf

Benggolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Grabbed 5 quarts of SAE 0W-20 Mobil 1 while shopping at Wal-Mart, Bellingham @ US$6.27/quart + taxes.

Unfortunately they ran out of the 5 quart jug which they were selling for US$22.00. :mad:

FYI.

6. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is there ANY news on the original post?

Is it or isn't it? Or still in limbo???? :confused:

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Still limbo.

8. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, while this may not be news here, I am not sure, but I did not want to reread all 267+ posts to confirm.

Last night, I attended a 'new owner celebration' at my dealership (Thanks Jabber). I ended up speaking with the dealership's 'Master Service Manager', and we spoke about the 10,000 mile oil change interval for the 2010. What he said is the following:

"Toyota will not be changing the recommended oil change interval in the 2010 Prius. Instead, all 2011 Prius will be shipped with the recommendation to use a 5,0000 mile initial oil change, and 10,000 miles thereafter." He specifically stated that it was confirmed to him by Toyota, that they will not be making the official change in recommendation, for the current model year.

Additionally, he confirmed with me that next year's cars will have the identical engine, and therefore I could feel confident that a 10,000 mile interval should be fine with my car, then he winked at me, and stated that he still had to recommend a 5,000 interval officially.

So, while I know that there is some concern about warranty validity if changing to another oil change interval, i now feel comfortable with making the decision to wait until I hit 15,000 to change my oil again.

9. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, the Toyota warranty will or will not be void if we use the 10K interval after the first oil change in the 2010 model? It was unclear from your post.

10. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your warranty is printed in the book, a wink from another dealer's service manager won't cut much slack if your 2010's engine has a problem and you can't prove the 5000 mile changes IMHO.

11. RoyThePriusGuy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks very much for the fresh update.

Not very comforting. If this is the case, OK - BUT why is Doug's Toyota USA team not responding to this? 250+ posts indicate a high level of interest.... Surely they have insight into this issue.

Personally there may be politics going on between Toyota Corp and dealership networks. But IMO this has gone on long enough to finalize - is it or not? Leaving it hanging is not very professional.

I think we would all understand if the 10K is maintained... Final decision, OK.

But I for one WOULD NOT understand if the 2011 models have the 10K interval and not grandfathered to the 2010 if the mechanicals are identical. This would not put Toyota in good standing. Would leave a sour feeling.

12. wjterry

wjterry New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On visiting the Toyota Parts and Service site, I found the service interval of oil changes is still at 5K miles. I must say the 10K interval is quite welcome; however, I would feel much better if Toyota would post some sort of "official" notification either on this site or similar site or perhaps on on their own.

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good question, and if the 2011 uses exactly the same engine, which I'm sure it will, what would be the justification of different intervals for each year? I think there is a rather large disconnect between Toyota, the Toyota dealerships, and the customers.

If there were an engine failure, which Toyota tried to attribute to a longer oil change interval I think Toyota would need to offer proof or good evidence that the longer interval caused the failure. Since the same car sold in Europe already has a longer recommended oil change interval I think this would not be something they could do or would even try to do.

Also the oil change interval as well as oil viscosity are listed as recommendations not requirements. Owner's Manual page 560, and Warranty Booklet page 36.

I feel pretty confident in going to a 10K oil change interval, and from what the oil experts (Andy H and Jayman) have said I will continue to use Mobil 1 0W20 which does meet Toyota recommendations. Besides that I don't remember hearing of a single instance of Prius engine failure under warranty, I imagine it is very rare.

1 person likes this.
  14. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure what you all are waiting for Toyota to do.

It seems to me they are clear on the recommended oil change interval.

If you are not sure of what their position is on the oil change interval, call them and ask them. I believe others have, and have gotten their answer, it is not changing for 2010 vehicles.

If for some reason they do change their mind, they will inform all the dealers and probably the owners too. But I doubt they will do anything this far into the model year.

If you want your oil to go 10k, then at 5k drain it, change the filter, and put it back in.

Carry on!

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Simple... $$$. They would have to pay for the upgrade to the OCI monitor and the communications to all involved would take away from their bottom line.

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think that might be it! money is frequently the motivation for such things.

17. RoyThePriusGuy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Personally I find it frustrating that the Toyota USA team allowed this to fester. I understand they monitor this forum, so no excuse.

If it is cost related - shame on them. We all paid (pretty much) top dollar for our Prius, and a dedicated bunch we are.

Imagine the EXTRA costs we owners will be forced to expend over the lives of our cars (at least the owners that would extend OCI to a newly-recommended 10K). And the time for extra service. And the additional cycle of used oil drained from crankcases. From a Prius that is supposed to be good for our environment.

It's only fair to tell it like it is. Knock Knock are you folks there?
    Then close the Thread. period.

18. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Please keep in mind that this is not a Toyota site (Toyota Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Accessories is however). If you need to reach someone at Toyota, I would not suggest this forum as the best way to do so. Instead, a few people who happen to be in marketing use this site as a fellow member, not officially from Toyota.

Separate of that, Toyota is clear in their official oil change recommendation (not requirement). It is printed in your manual the same as mine. 5,000 miles. Are you upset with Toyota for not confirming what at best is a rumor, and worst would be incorrect?

If there is an official change from Toyota, I would imagine that you will be told at some point, even if only when visiting a dealership. Until that time, they are clear that fort the 2010 Prius, it is a 5,000 mile interval.

They also recommend a much lower tire pressure than many of use. I for one, overinflate my tires to 42/40 for better mileage. I will also use a 10,000 mile interval for my oil changes. If it affects my warrant, I would demand that the dealership prove that this was the cause of the failure.

19. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I dont think anything is festering. You knew what the warranty was when you bought your vehicle. There is no "newly-recommended" OCI for 2010 vehicles and their wont be.

If you want your oil to go 10k, then at 5k drain it, change the filter, and put it back in.

Carry on!

20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am thinking that if there is anybody from Toyota offically monitoring this site that they are indeed looking for the world's smallest violin to play (no disrespect intended).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.