1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 Oil Change Interval Revised? Not yet... (closed)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sphyrna, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I changed my oil last week at 7,500 miles. The Toyota oil filter looked fine. It could easily go another 7,500 miles.

alfon

2. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My understanding in talking to a salesperson (how trustworthy are they???) is that the 0w-20 Toyota oil is a blend of synthetic and regular oil. So you may have to purchase synthetic oil on your own before bringing it to the dealer to be sure you are getting synthetic.

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I won't be bringing any oil to a dealer. I also like to put about 1/2 qt. less than recommended to improve gas mileage. Its been a tradition in prius users for quite some time now.

Left to the dealer, you could end up with "more" than you really want, unless you give them exactly what you want them to put in.

The more I study about the SSO Amsoil 0W-30W, the more I like it.
    I have to remember the "0W" covers me when its cold and the "30W" will kick in during the hot texas summers.

Its pretty hard for Toyota to recommend a specified weight that fits Canada and Texas or the southern states at the same time.

4. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Salesman is full of BS. If they use Toyota 0W-20W the contianer is marked FULL SYNTHETIC.
    I have a half qt left in a bottle that came from my 5000 mile oil change at my dealer

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What a car dealer?.... surely you jest? :p

6. GoSkins

GoSkins Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are right, it is synthetic. Just had mine changed last week.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree that the Toyota 0W20 is a real synthetic but not because it says full synthetic on the bottle. Since Castrol won the synthetic oil lawsuit, which allowed them (and other oil companies) to market their partial or non-synthetic oils as Full Synthetics, a few years ago you shouldn't go by that label in this country. In Europe or Japan those oils would not be allowed to be marketed as Full Synthetic.

To the best of my knowledge the only true synthetic oils available in this country are Mobil 1, Amsol, Red Line, Royal Purple, and some which are sold under the automobile manufacturer's label such as the Toyota 0W20 and BMW's 5W30.

The reason I believe the 0W20 Toyota oil is a true synthetic is because it is rated as a 0W for winter. I have never seen a partial or a non-synthetic with a 0W rating. Interestingly the BMW 5W30 is actually European Castrol Full Synthetic, BMW does not recommend the Castrol 5W30 Full Synthetic sold in the U.S. because it isn't a true synthetic.

I have no certain knowledge but some have posted that the Toyota 0W20 is manufactured in the U.S. (you could check the container) by Mobil. If that is true it probably is Mobil 1 0W20.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Around 28 years ago, Esso Canada marketed a heavy duty oil, Esso XD-3 0W-30 Arctic. This was called a "blend" directly by Esso. Apparently, they now call it a full synthetic

http://www.esso.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLESEsso_Xd-3_extra.pdf

They claim that their XD-3 0W-30 and 0W-40 are full synthetics since they use PAO for basestock. I've used both as winter oils in HD motors, with excellent results

9. Holbrook22

Holbrook22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm nearing 5000 miles with my Gen III and called a Toyota dealer in Florida to set an appointment for service.
    When I asked about the oil they use they stated a petroleum/synthetic blend. I told them that I want all synthetic oil and they said that they don't recommend a fully synthetic oil until higher mileage.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this? Could it be the Florida temperatures?

10. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is exactly what I was told. And everyone here told me it was full synthetic and the guy at the dealership was wrong and I should go to another dealer.Nobody that I can remember has confirmed that the 0W20 from Toyota is fully synthetic. Though reasons have been given why it should be.

11. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The quart of 0W20 Toyota branded oil I got at the dealer says "full synthetic" on the label.

1 person likes this.
  12. GoSkins

GoSkins Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is exactly the way my service department talked until I complained to the General Manager who checked the requirements for the Gen 3. The service manager soon got on board and now there is no problem getting OW-20 oil changes on the 2010's.

I would suggest that your dealer and service department are not on board yet. Make it happen!

1 person likes this.
  13. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they're putting the closest thing to their hand into your car, regardless of what they tell you

change your own oil, or get a local group together, where you can all do it together

it's a great way to get in touch with your car

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Somehow, I think you speak from wisdom and knowledge you can't talk about in detail.

Some if not many will poo poo your warning, but I'm afraid it holds more water than many want to think.

15. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK - now looking at specs, and reading the posts, it seems Amoil's the best alternative (though I still have not seen direct comparison tests with Mobile One).

So it costs a few $ more - but can run 10K - now where do you find it (readily available) - outside the Internet???

16. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you can get it on the internet, or from a dealer if you have one nearby, but he will still have to order it for you

i am a dealer, i live in SoCal
    here is my dealer number 1464962
    feel free to order it off the internet, or PM me and we can talk about it
    i also live in SoCal, and at almost 50 mpg, i'm sure we're not too far from one another :D

17. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wont Mobil 1 run 10k also?

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I think Mobil 1 will go 10k just fine too, but Amsoil is rated to 25K for normal use and 15K for severe use and their SSO brand "Signature Series" is at 35K.. so my logic is that it must be loaded with more additives and overall less wear and friction so if I"m gonna bend rules from what I"ve always done, might as well go with the best for a few bucks more.

I don't know how accurate it is, but the Amsoil site has a comparison chart with Mobil 1.

[/IMG]http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/sso_4ball_large.gif

Service Life
    AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:
    • Normal Service(3) – Up to 35,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
    • Severe Service(4) – Up to 17,500 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
    • Replace AMSOIL Ea oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).
    • In all non-gasoline fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

19. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I also see that none are the recommended 0W20.

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Click the "to 25K" link in my above post.

I fought the idea from deviating too at first until I saw that the oil guru's still recommend the 0-30W... I live in a southern state and it gets quite hot, so the 30W is prob a good idea and when its cold, I still have the 0W.

Its hard for Toyota to put a recommendation for viscosity that fits all cars in all areas of the planet. Outside temps of cars "do" matter.

I don't think there is a car manufacturer out there that recommends a certain viscosity based on where you live, they all post a flat rating and its up to the customer to use judgment too.

But all else fails, they do make a 0W-20W thats rated at 25K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.