1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 Oil Change Interval Revised? Not yet... (closed)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sphyrna, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had good results with Mobil 1 0W-20 running 12 months or 16,000 km, confirmed by lab analysis of the used oil

The standard oil change interval for the EU market Prius is 12 months or 15,000-16,000 km.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance is overpriced for what you get. Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0W-40 is superior

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Check your owner's manual to be certain. I believe the oil viscosity requirement was 5W-20, and I think the interval was 5,000 miles.

3. gefrieden

gefrieden New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe buying a drum of oil would be more appropriate. I noticed the other day that page 420 of the 2010 manual says: "Oil consumption: Max. 1.1 qt./600 miles. If the vehicle consumes more than 1.1 qt. every 600 miles, contact your Toyota dealer". That's 9.17 quarts per 5K miles. Fortunately mine was right where it should be at 5k. Guess I'll still be checking my oil more often than I have with my previous vehicles.

4. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yikes! Is that possible? Does Toyota really consider consumption of a liter of oil every 600 miles to be normal? :eek:

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow - maybe this is how they plan to keep a crazy long warranty :cool: As the engine wears, just make sure you add a quart every time you fill up :D
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

6. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Many posts in this thread claim that the new oil change intervals for the 2010 Prius is "official". If you really know it's official, you must have seen written documentation. If so, post it.

We can't rely on rumors.

7. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius Marketing Team - part of Toyota Corporate, has responded that there is nothing official. It was posted by others that Southeast Toyota operates somewhat independently of "Toyota." I think this is an example of that, if in fact SET has been notified of the change.

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Back in August, Jobberworld had already reported that Toyota was studying a service interval increase to 10,000 miles. I think we all need to be patient and wait for the official word:

JobbersWorld Online

9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

That note is on page 428 of the electronic pdf, if you have it.

This engine is of the same type as the GenII... I think this is just a CYA form released by Toyota... I Can't imagine any reason why it should consume more oil than the GenII did... which was nil unless that is a typical trait when using 0W-20W oil.

10. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have owned may new cars over the years, including a recent BMW, and saw similar warnings in the manuals. Having said that, I have yet to own a car that consumed any where close to that amount of oil. So, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like everyone I think we just need to wait and be patient. I also hope the interval is extended. However I also feel that until we do have "official" confirmation the headline on the front page of Prius Chat should be changed:

Toyota Maybe Upping the Oil Change Interval to 10,000 Miles for 2010 Prius, other Toyota models

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Excellent link. Thank you

I ran my 2004 Prius on Mobil 1 0W-20 for most of the time I had that car. At *most* the oil level went down 2mm on the stick, and that was after running it 10,000 miles

I had a 2000 GMC Sierra with the infamous Vortec 5.3 motor. That thing would easily burn a quart every 500 miles, unless I ran a 5W-40 or 15W-50.

That motor also went KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK when started, even when it was +90 F in the shade

13. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe it secretly deep down inside wanted to be a diesel?:p

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Got my 64mm oil filter wrench.... it has a 3/8 inch socket connection on it and seems to be built like fort knox with quality welding etc... very good buy for the price!

15. jaywolf

jaywolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is the same one I got I see they have sold 42 of them.

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Funny, other than this one being a strong steel and shiney stainless in color, it looks exactly like the one I already use for my standard cannister style oil filter on my GenII!...... both have 14 flutes and appear to be the same size.... I think I picked my old one up a walmart :p

I bet I didn't even need this!... oh well.. its better than my other one anyway..... :)

17. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    MAy i have the phone number and other info of your dealer?

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :doh:

That would make as much sense as anything the dealer told me, eg "it's normal!"

But they did fix the problem. I have a neighbor with a 2008 Chevy Silvorado. When he starts that thing, the only way I can tell the motor is running is to see if vapor is coming out the exhaust pipe

Oddly enough, that neighbor had a Ford pickup with the Triton 5.4, and it made a loud knocking noise. Must be the luck of the draw

At least with my FJ Cruiser, if I run Mobil 1 0W-40, after 7,500 miles the oil samples out in very good shape. However, that 4.0 V6 does NOT like the recommended 5W-20, I have very high nitration

19. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I figured you all had a national directory of some sort. I'll PM it to you.

20. Manolo1

Manolo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is it official now or not?

it is in the home page of this forum, does that count as official or not yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.