1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 pessenger side headlight low beam replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Gimmy, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Gimmy

Gimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys,

First of all, Thank you for running this forum. I did purchse prius 2010 from a dealer in the past, came for oil change this week to Toyota, they said passenger side low beam bulb is not working and they can not replace it as it is aftermarket, this was surprise for me and something I was not aware of. Attached is the photo of driver side low beam headlight bulb, which is same on passenger side. It was easy to take that out to have a look from driver side. I showed them to couple of auto shops over here, and they can not replace it, including autozone. One of those shops told me to replace it back (the whole thing) to stock, ~500 dollars.

I need help if someone can identify which bulb should I get, a link or something. I did search online but unable to confim the right one. Would it be easy to replace, purchasing the bulb myself? Going back to stock spending 500 or above does not make any sense just for bulb replacement. Thank you.

Gimmy

Attached Files:

2. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. Gimmy

Gimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the quick reply. Those looks different than what I have, I searched for HID bulbs and h11s however not able to find the match. Trying to see if someone did change the one what I have and can provide info.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    $500 to go back to stock is ridiculous. All you need to do is buy some standard H11 bulbs, find the original lowbeam connectors on the car's wiring harnesses on both sides, unplug them from the aftermarket ballasts and plug them into your H11 bulbs. Done. The only cost is for the bulbs.

If you had to pay someone to do it, they should only charge you for 1/2 an hour labor maximum.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your problem on the passenger side aftermarket HID lowbeam could be either with the bulb or the ballast.

If you want to pursue fixing the aftermarket HID lowbeam, then you need to determine if you have a problem with the bulb or the ballast. Simple way is to switch the bulbs from one side to the other, and if the driver's side is fine and the passenger side is still not working, then your problem is with the ballast or wiring on the passenger side.

If the problem follows the bulb, then you just need new bulbs.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can use the links and videos on this website to learn about the components in the aftermarket HID kit (in general) installed on your vehicle.

How-to Library | XenonSupply - XS Corporation

If you want to go back to stock, then removal of the HID components is the opposite steps of installation.

7. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Alternatively, just buy a new 35w HID kit that comes with new ballasts and new bulbs. It only took me about 5 minutes on each side to install this one (no relay needed):

Blitz Bullet DC HID Kit - OPT7

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would recommend getting an AC HID kit instead of a DC kit. Better ballasts and longer bulb life with AC.

9. Gimmy

Gimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for quick response and suggestions, bobzchemist and xliderider. I appreciate it. After further search on HID bulb/kit and replacement, I came accross a video on youtube "HID to Halogen conversion" and a review of a user, both of that showed how they replaced HID back to stock. The same thing for what that autoshop was asking to do for 500~ bucks, that was totally rip off. :mad::mad: I couldnt believe how easy it was to switch back to halogen, I took the kit out (pretty much unplug from socket), inserted the h11 bulbs (purchased from walmart), and wala the job is done. It's a degrade going back, however I am fine with halogen instead keep searching for HIDs replacements. Cost me 17 bucks for two bulbs, and that's all.
    :)

xliderider, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lightning Racer likes this.