1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 Upper Radiator Hose?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Triparadox, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Basically what happened was that I went ahead to get a BlueDevil. I drained the coolant and plug out the radiator hose going to the radiator which will go directly to the engine afterward. Ran the engine for about 50 mins. Drove it couple days at the city until it was about 54 miles. Then yesterday I brought it to a highway. After about 15 miles, it started to overheat. OBDII scanner showed me the coolant temperature was 111 Celcius. Pulled over, waited for one minute, and go again. I tried to drive as normal as possible to see if this is a one-time issue. Nope. It went up again. Now I'm frustrated. But, I haven't seen any check engine light came out for now since then.

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Assuming the coolant level is correct and the system was properly bled, the stop leak product is likely causing an impediment of coolant flow somewhere. Or you had a coincidental water pump failure (not uncommon at your mileage). Or your head gasket leak got worse (head gaskets can leak in multiple ways).

Sorry to hear that you are feeling frustrated, but you were given plenty of warning that you are venturing into unknown territory by adding Stop Leak. Unfortunately, just about anything is fair game at this point.

#22 The Critic, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Joele3

Joele3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not losing any sleep trading it in to the dealer. But if I were to sell to a private party without disclosing issues. Thats a different story. From what i'm told is that dealers either ship the cars overseas or they go to auction where independent dealers get their hands on em. But I still have my car. I haven't thrown in the towel just yet.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update: please note that there's no more leaking since when I open the reservoir, no vacuum (indicating fluid has been lost) sound going off. The engine will just overheat. But the system is not completely clogged since the coolant is still flowing back to the reservoir. The radiator fans are working.

5. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Been driving it for approx. 500 miles. I just replaced the radiator. So far it works fine.

The Critic and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Last update: The check engine light hasn't come back again. It's been about 800 miles since I fixed it that way. I don't think it will last forever. I ordered a new radiator and replaced it. Everything runs as how it should. The old radiator is not broken. It's just clogged. If you can clean it up either by using a specific tool or bringing it to a mechanic, I believe it should work just fine.

Raytheeagle and The Critic like this.
  8. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is your long-term plan?

Another engine? Another car?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In Philly, Boston, or Baltim-ar?

The Critic likes this.
  10. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    New update: The check engine light came up soon after posting that. I did some research and found a mechanic that'd do the job for $1,400; a much better choice than the $3,000 price tag from nearby local mechanic and $3,800 from Toyota Official Dealer. I sent the car last week and is projected to be done anytime around Thursday / Friday this week. The warranty is 24 months/24,000 miles (I only expected the warranty to be 12/12, so this is a great deal). I will post the mechanic after I confirm the vehicle is perfectly fine and the work is done finely.

Raytheeagle and The Critic like this.
  11. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm at California. I sent it to a local mechanic about 30 miles away from my home.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  13. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    50 miles update: I have been hearing some sort of noises created from loose bolts from under the engine bay. It makes that sound when going to a fairly uneven roads. I suspect the mechanic didn't really pay attention to bolt those properly. I went under and checked it just now. I found two loose bolts which I can even try to still fasten it a bit by fingers alone. I tighten them up and found that there are several missing clips and bolts. I'd try to figure out what to do next but I will do my best to at least spread around the bolts so it can maintain the panel just fine for the moment.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That would irk me if I had paid somebody for the work.

The Critic likes this.
  15. davidozz

davidozz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the bottle of Blue Devil sealer states do not add sealer into the reservoir can you tell me how you added your product.

16. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Regardless of that, only a small percentage of what is recommended (one bottle) is actually required. The extra liquid will keep cycling through the cooling system and no matter what you will end up with clogged radiator at least...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    200 miles update: So I ended up bringing the car back to be checked for that disturbing noises. Apparently it was the windshield wiper panel (or so you can say that). It was loose and the mechanic found it to be the problem since I told them I had already fixed the splash panel. So far so good and no problem. We'll see when she hits 1,000 miles since the Blue Devil product lasted me for about 700 miles. If there's no problem, I will post it so that you guys can have your car repaired there since the price is way more competitive than those in Tracy.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tracy, CA eh:whistle:?

Where’d you get a quote there?

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

19. Triparadox

Triparadox Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Advance Auto $3,000 for the repair or $5,000 for engine swap (used engine with about 64K miles in it).
    Toyota Dealer $3,800 for the repair
    C & J Auto Repair $2,600 for the repair (he sounded pretty experienced but it was a bit too much for me).

20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @Joele3 used a similar product to Blue Devil and eventually had to sort his engine out;).

He got a used unit from the recyclers I’m Rancho Cordova :).

Something to keep in mind for the future (y).