1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius 2011 mini honest review

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by fileaudio, Feb 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fileaudio

fileaudio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    One
    2011 prius is by far the best car i have owned. I smile while driving. Im on 50 mpg but tank refill was done until 2 weeks have passed. This is my 4th hybrid 3 prius uno civic. Im very happy. I don't understand why the hate my prius is agile and beautiful every friend told me so. They want one now. After I installed 18"inch rims

bisco likes this.
  2. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    People sometimes "hate" when something new comes along that they don't quite understand. It seems to be a human trait for part of the population everywhere in the world. Eventually rumors take off and reinforce reasons to dislike, instead of trying to learn, understand and actually test personally to make an informed opinion. It's way easier not to do the research for oneself!

You have a very nice car that happens to be technologically capable of getting 50 mpg or more... and with the right wheels and tires, can be a very good road car. This is our second Prius, and we really like it, too. Don't worry about what other's think, it won't make the car better or worse. Just drive it and enjoy the trip.

There are a lot of people that get the Prius. I've seen people that said they would never buy one, go back on their words and buy one after seeing what they are really like. I have family and friends that would have never considered a Prius, and after taking a ride in mine, went out and eventually bought one for themselves. I heard things like, "wow, there's a lot of room in this car, I thought they would be really small" or "this car rides and feels just like a real car!".

Yep. It's amazing what a little first hand knowledge can do to dispel rumors and misconceptions.

bisco and fileaudio like this.
  3. fileaudio

fileaudio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You are totally right. When people ride in my car they get amazed. And seems like childs. People still ask where I connect it by night! Haha then i start to repeat dynamos on the brakes or motor and i enjoy myself talking about the goodies i cannot find so many negatives or complains about my 2011. I would like the solar panel but i get the premium 4 wich is nice. Where is located the usb?? I dont know yet

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure, but in my 2012, it's in the front of the center console box.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    18" wheels? You can kiss that 50 mpg goodbye now. ;)

6. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my case, under right hand supporter, inside, when open there usb + charger.

fileaudio likes this.
  7. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe yes, maybe no. Light wheels, good LRR tires? Not out of the question.

I'm getting 52-53 mpg (measured tank to tank) on a regular basis with heavy 17" Persona wheels and 205/50 17 Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires in 50+ degree weather.

LRR tires are getting better at that Low Rolling Resistance thing.

fileaudio likes this.
  8. fileaudio

fileaudio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Im on 49mpg now with 2011 snd 18 inch rims
    I detached those rims from my 2008 2nd gen. I remember at first in that car the mpg drop was noticeable from 48 to 41 so so. But now it seems that 3rd gen is less sensible to heavier rims even so this is expeculating because im not considering sunny wet cold days traffic etc.
    By the way i feel the panel dashboard buttons are kind of cluncky on 2011 so much better ok the 2008/2005 i have before. The design is better now!!

9. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Remember that even a LRR tire does have to break in for a period. Some tires break in faster than others. We were sub 50 mpg for the first 2,000 miles on the 17 inch Pirelli tires. That had us pretty worried and through that break in period I did keep a close eye on the pressures. Eventually the MPGs made their way back above 50. I didn't know how bad the hit would actually be. The Pirelli tires are worth the couple of miles that we gave up on MPG.

10. fileaudio

fileaudio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Another miniUpdate!
    I just realize that some claim about the lack of good backView on the 3rd gen prii. But being unbiased I love the bar across the window And down the aleron glass that bar keep your eyes from being blinded by the light os cars (believe me) if the car approaches you are protected in the trucks works less cause those are taller!! For real honestly!!

BethPet and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we believe you!:p

12. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My guess is that the general public has misconceptions about the Prius that turn them off to it. Every person I gave a ride that had not previously been in a Prius commented at how roomy and comfortable it was. Their preconceived notion was that economy cars are small, and that the Prius is a tiny car that isn't good for much other than getting good fuel economy and feeling smug about single-handedly saving the environment.

The car has more useful space than large sedans, and has acceptable acceleration and handling. It's a very well rounded vehicle that meets or exceeds the desires that most people have for a vehicle. Every time I drive it I'm convinced it was engineered by geniuses.

#12 Redpoint5, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  13. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Totally ditto!

fileaudio likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Prius is classed as mid-sized in North America. Similar to the above picture, I occasionally have both our previous 2006 Civic and 2010 Prius in the garage, and it's noticeably bigger. Much more utile interior for cargo too. Washing the Prius I have to go tippy toe to reach the center of the roof, not the case with the Civic.

fileaudio likes this.
  15. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

Which one do you prefer the insight or the prius. Im from the Uk and have seen both I personally like the looks of the prius better than the insight. However I haven been for a test drive in either also whats the mpg like between them both.

Thank you

fileaudio likes this.
  16. fileaudio

fileaudio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    One
    For quality reliability looks modifications the prius. For speed and same mpg insight.
    I have IMA system before. i cannot go back to ima again!!

iron-icman likes this.
  17. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Ah right thats good to know nice to hear it from someone else who knows both cars

18. fileaudio

fileaudio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi mendel leisk so many time without salute you!! Best regards im the proud owner of the prii 2011 now :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius is technologically about a light year ahead of my Insight, when it comes to the hybrid drivetrain. The Insight feels stone age, nearly crude, compared to the transparent Prius hybrid operation. The Prius is brilliantly engineered. For long trips I enjoy the Prius. For everyday scooting around our suburban/rural area, I prefer the Insight only slightly more. Both can get great MPG and surprisingly, I generally get about 2 to 3 mpg better with the Insight compared to the Prius. Both cars generally get close to mid 50 mpg numbers in the summer. During cold weather, the Prius stays 50-52 mpg, and the Insight 50 to 54. I do drive speed limits or a little above, but I do drive fairly gently when I can get away with it and optimize tire air pressure.

I'm the primary Insight driver, and my wife is chief of Prius. I get to drive 99% of the time when we travel, so I do get quite a bit time at the Prius helm. The Insight is nearly equally optioned up close to the Prius level, but the Insight doesn't have a solar sunroof, full leather or JBL sound system. On the other hand, the Insight was a total bargain, priced over 1/3rd less $$ than the Prius.

They are totally different cars, but very close in terms of efficiency and shape. The Insight has a lot of ride compliance, which is a good thing here starting now while our roads develop frost heaves for a while. The suspension isn't floaty, but seems like the it has a lot of travel. For a small car, Insight rides really well and handles our wobbly late Winter into Spring roads admirably.

#19 B. Roberts, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    fileaudio, Redpoint5 and iron-icman like this.
  20. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

Great thank you for that bit of information like I say I have been to see both at a dealership but prefer the styling of the gen3. However now I have been thinking a little more I'm thinking of going for the gen 2 have you ever had one

fileaudio likes this.