1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2011 no dash lights, won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Chicov, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Chicov

Chicov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car shows Multi-function display that has only 'door open', 'check engine' lights on. Start button orange when pushed. Multiple pushes on 'Start' button elicits large 'To Start, Press Brake and Push START button'. Of course, this is with the brake pedal pushed (not like it was a brake activated sensor). The 'P' in Park indicator on console will light. Engine will not start. Attempted checks include checking and charging 12v (12.6v with charge), pressing 'Start' for 45 seconds (engine comes on then dies after < 2 seconds), dome light (work), lock/unlock (no response at door or at key fob). All dash and engine compartment fuses checked. Engine fusebox relays checked (7) and all work (click at 12v, solenoid 160 Ω, and resistance near zero Ω. I have also disconnected the 12v to 'reset' everything (made no difference). Another strange thing is trying the OBD2 port and it had no power to it (yes, I checked that fuse again).

What is left, in my mind, is the Multi-function display capacitor 200µF replacement that has been reported multiple times on the Gen 2. Didn't know if it was a problem on Gen 3. Also thought of relays on the Traction Battery but not so familiar with them.

Any ideas or suggestions? This vehicle has only 120,000 miles on it an ran well prior this.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    generally, the car runs fine with a bad combo meter on gen2's

how old is the 12v? maybe the load is too much for it

scona likes this.
  3. Chicov

Chicov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12v is 2 years old, holds 12.6 volts easily, can run the headlights and dome lights without problem. It is only needed to initiate the traction battery to run everything else on the car. The display is completely dark except the press brake to start message which shows fine so i know it is not the brightness level control. My inclination is the display is not working, and signals coming in are not allowed to go out so the vehicle does not know all the other signals passing through and therefore shuts everything down. This is supposition and has yet to be verified by pulling the dash and examining the display.

4. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe a key fob issue. If you have a spare try it and see if it will start the Prius. If you do a key fob starting problem search on this site it will bring up a bunch of weird problems that are interrelated.

5. Chicov

Chicov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both fobs have the same result. Not getting a 'need key' light. Mostly not getting anything. No insert key/ no key present. No N/D/R. No Ready. No nothing. Either there is a display problem or something major in the electrical system that is preventing the car from recognizing a Ready All Systems Go command. Even with an HV leak to chassis refusing to let it go into drive, the display would still come on normally. This display is for all purposes dead. Also, something is preventing the OBD2 port from powering up and allowing diagnostics. Also something is preventing the door locks from being activated (real pain when opening the rear hatch).

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What is the voltage of the fob batteries and how old are they?

Have you tried putting the fob on the start button to start the Prius?

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure the engine is "coming on." Sounds like it could be trying to start and failing. Hence the check engine light. You need to read the codes. What code reader failed to connect? Was it one that worked before?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall a 'press brake to start' message, maybe that is an indicator.

9. Zemtrax

Zemtrax New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Hi I am having exactly same issue as op Chicov posted above any one can help how to resolve? what is causing? checked the fuses headlights works only door open sign appears nothing else on dashboard previously it was saying press the break pedal now only door open icon on dashboard nothing else.

10. M2UBR

M2UBR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Hi has anyone found a solution to this issue?

I have a problem where there is no power to the dash or ignition, the doors only open with the key and the door open icon is only lit up on the dash, no power switch lights are coming on, the brake lights work and the pump also makes a buzzing sound
    The 12v has been checked although a little low on power 11v it has been tried with a booster attached and still nothing, breakdown company called same issue
    All the fuses have been checked under the bonnet in the car and also on the positive terminal of the battery all seem to show ok when checked with a multimeter

11. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a 12 volt battery problem, how old is yours? The voltage needs to be in the middle 12 volt
    area to operate properly. 12.4 to 12.8 for instance.

12. M2UBR

M2UBR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited

13. M2UBR

M2UBR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Don’t really know the age of the battery but it is an original AGM type, I can understand it being the battery but it still doesn’t make any difference with a jump attached to it
    Once the booster cables are attached the voltage shows just below 13v but still no response from the vehicle, so to sum it up no difference with or without an additional power supply attached

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    attach the jumper and check the voltage at the front jump point

15. M2UBR

M2UBR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It was checked and showed just under 13v with the jump cables attached to the car
    I have also noticed the trunk/boot does not open either with the jump cables attached
    So it looks like everything on the direct battery powered circuit I.e headlights interior lights etc work, but the car will not recognise the key hence the keyless feature not the trunk/boot work
    So if it won’t pick the key up then it won’t put the car into ignition mode?
    But the battery within the remote is new and the car does not say anything about not detecting the key or anything
    Totally stumped with this one and don’t want to send it to the dealers just yet as I’m sure it’s something minor

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you checked the connections? Having voltage but not current is evidence of a loose connection. The terminals on the battery would be the first place to look, but don't forget the ground connection at the body from the battery. If that's all clean and tight, then check at the jump point us front.

17. M2UBR

M2UBR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    All checked and all good just checked all the fuses again and they are all ok too

18. M2UBR

M2UBR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Hi my car has been with the main dealers now for a month and they still haven’t managed to sort the non start issue out, they initially said it was an earth problem but that did not cure it, they then said it was the certification ecu, they have changed that too
    But the car still won’t power up, a new AGM battery has also been fitted
    I am am my wits end now as the dealers are even stumped as to what the problem may be, if any one has any knowledge or has come across a problem please do let me know
    To summarise the issue, the car will not open with the remote when opened with the key the only light in the dash is the door open sign, all the direct battery circuits seems to be working, I.e the dome lights headlights etc but there is now power to the ignition side the start button does not light up or anything

19. M2UBR

M2UBR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited

20. Salumi

Salumi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----