1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2011 - Want to Install Factory Navigation System in Non-Navigation System

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Ahmad B, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Ahmad B

Ahmad B New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a Toyota Prius 2011 with Non-Factory Navigation System (Part Number: 86120-47290) and I would like to replace it with a Toyota Factory Navigation System (Part Number: 86120-47390) but I don't have any idea about harness wires or cable adapter, so could anyone help me, what kind of cables does it need and where could I find it online ?

Did anyone try to install the Toyota Factory Navigation System on a non-Factory Navigation System?

Also, I’m open to any other comments / suggestions / solutions!

Thanks
    AB

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am wondering if you might do better with a TomTom or Garmin portable, as they may work better for le$$ outlay. However, a smartphone app might be best of all - lots of folks are doing that and praising it's merits. I suppose it all depends on whether you want an inferior, but tidier satnav with no lose cables to tuck away (or not)!

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If it comes directly from Toyota and has an official part number, why would it be called "Non-Factory" ?
    And what would the difference be ??

Highly unllikely that you can still get a 2011 part from Toyota.

Even if you were able to accomplish the change, you still would need to pay Toyota to update the maps.......to the tune of about $150.

A stand-alone unit or smart phone based app. likely would be a MUCH better solution overall.

RCO likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMHO it would be more trouble than it's worth to install the factory navigation. We use our Google maps app on our smartphone instead of the oem navigation system in our 2011.

The number one disadvantage to the factory navigation is the speed lock out, where you cannot input destinations, etc when the vehicle is in motion. Huge disadvantage when a copilot/spouse/passenger is available to do the input duties. Toyota should disable the lockout feature when the passenger airbag seat sensor detects an adult occupant in the seat.

RCO likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you already have the -47390 unit, or are you looking for one?

The 2010 and 2011 models that came with that unit also had JBL audio: a separate amplifier located under the passenger seat. If your non-nav model was not JBL, then you will need to pick up the amplifier too, or you won't be able to hear the audio, because the nav headunit only has low-level output intended to feed into the amp.

You'll also need to pick up the GPS antenna and cable. The antenna mounts way forward under the top of the dash near the base of the windshield. You'll have to take the dash top off to install it. The steps are in the repair manual.

That nav unit has support for XM radio input, but it is not built in; that's another separate box that mounts under the driver's seat (and cabled to a dedicated antenna on the roof). There was also a smaller box that mounts under it to serve as a USB input (it has a cable that runs under the console armrest to a USB jack).
    The adapter box sends the USB file names and data over AVC-LAN to the headunit, and piggybacks the audio onto the aux input.

Maps for that nav unit come on a DVD. It has a second slot just for the map DVD, which is always loaded. Map updates are a snap, you just get the newer DVD and swap.

If you haven't picked up that unit yet, you might look at getting one from a 2012+. That one has the XM and USB support built in—no need for extra boxes under the driver's seat—and it has a way better user interface for finding your way around USB music (searches by artist and album and so on). It also adds HD Radio. You would still need the JBL amp under the passenger seat, and the GPS antenna under the dash (and the XM-version antenna on the roof, if you want XM).

The 2012+ has the maps on an internal HDD instead of a replaceable DVD. It is harder to update; the official procedure requires a dealer service visit in addition to buying the update license. But it has improved voice commands and other improvements, some displays that mimic the hybrid status displays on the MID, and access to some of the car's customization settings you would otherwise get to with techstream or Carista.

Its front-panel shade may slightly mismatch the black of the 2010-11.

It has different pinouts than the 2010-11 nav, and those I think are again different from the non-nav, so you would have a bunch of wire-wrangling to do in either case. The wiring diagrams on techinfo.toyota.com will be your constant companions for a while....

The navs lock out destination entry using the on-screen softkeys when the car is moving, but you can still enter destinations by voice.

-Chap

#5 ChapmanF, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    RCO likes this.