1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2012 cylinder asst, br, pump assy brake suggestions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Exar., Jan 13, 2018.

1. Exar.

Exar. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a diagnostic to my Prius yesterday at a Toyota repair shop. My car have the Abs, brake and (I) on, but not always, it can be on for a week and then it turns off and everything works fine and in the same way it turns on again, intermittent failure. Also in the diagnostic it appeared battery assy, hv. The car feel fine, it runs good the only thing the abs don’t work.

At Toyota only gave me a estimate for $8173.07 for repairs. I almost fainted. They didn’t checked for any lose cable or else, just change the parts.

Any suggestion for what to look for?? Any help welcome.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It seems like either they forgot to give you the diagnostic trouble codes that led them to their conclusions, or they did but you forgot to include them in your post.

They are proposing to replace both the expensive part and the even-more-expensive part of the Gen 3 brake system, so it would have been helpful of them to include the evidence.

Once you have the codes (and subcodes, where applicable), the sections for each code in the Repair Manual will step you through the things that ought to be tested.

If you do end up needing to replace either assembly, there are plenty of reports on PriusChat of people using salvage parts (for obvious reasons!). If you might want to go that route, see if you can find a copy of T-CP-D0H-A510-D.pdf (found one here). It's a recall for 2010s, doesn't apply to your year, but has important safety precautions on page 5. You'd want to make sure any source for your salvage parts observed those precautions when pulling the parts out, to avoid contaminating or damaging them.

There is sometimes a possibility that Toyota may have parts available through their own remanufacturing program. Find the part numbers the dealer wants to replace for you, and search for those with -84 added on the end. I'd be pretty confident of the quality and condition of a Toyota rebuilt part, if you find one.

-Chap

Exar. likes this.
  3. Exar.

Exar. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No codes or sub codes included. Maybe is a sensor or something else but is not included. I’m searching here in Puerto Rico someone qualified that can run the tests and obtain the codes, maybe autozone....

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Autozone may or may not be able to read the brake system codes. The repair shop you paid for the diagnosis should be able to tell you what information they read, if you remind them that they seem to have forgotten to do that.

You might want to look into a laptop, a J2534 dongle, and Techstream software, so it will be easier for you to read your own codes and not rely on a shop to do it.

But it could take a while to shop for that, and in the meantime, brake codes are important enough that Toyota built in a way you can read them without any special tool. (You need a short skinny wire, or paperclip.) You only get two-digit versions of the codes and it is definitely an abridged version of what Techstream can read, but the advantage is you can do it right away. (A search in this forum for jumper Tc CG blink codes should find good information.)

-Chap

Exar. likes this.
  5. Exar.

Exar. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was at Toyota’s dealer. I will coordinate to speak to the one who performed the test if he help with the info that I need