1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2012 with moon/sunroof and solar on hot climate country

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Leigh Francisco, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Leigh Francisco

Leigh Francisco New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi! I am seriously considering a 2012 prius, there is one specific car that I really like its the 2012 top model. However, since I live here in Thailand, and its super hot all year round, I would like to know if prius is good for hot climate areas, is there extra cautionI should know or extra care i should do. Thank so much to all, this forum convinced me to get prius.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Heat is the enemy of the traction battery so always avoid parking where the sun can heat it. Also avoid 'heat pumping' the battery by descending tall hills, 100m, without using B to moderate the speed and charge. Charging NiMH is exothermic, it generates heat.

Bob Wilson

4. Leigh Francisco

Leigh Francisco New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thats not a good news for me, its always hot here, always, will shaded parking space be ok?

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes.

Bob Wilson

6. mrwzrd

mrwzrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the 2012 IV with the solar/sun/moon roof. The solar roof is that part that I really really like in the summer. The solar cabin ventelation keeps the inside of the car such that if I have been parked in direct sun for hours I can open the door and 1-not have a heat wave blast me in the face and 2-be able to jump right in and be comfortable. Water bottles that I have left on the floor are what you would call room temperature...no hot water.
    If I take the time to put a screen in the windshield I have found it comfortable even in the summer heat in Florida. (I still turn on the A/C though. ;-) )

7. Sandy22

Sandy22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The solar panel roof and sun roof are great except for two warnings.
    Number one it appears that the sunroof seals around the edges of the glass have a common problem of expanding and failing. The fix is over $2000 as the whole assembly needs replacement.
    Number two the solar panels may or may not have been assembled correctly and had all the soldering flux removed which may result in there being some corrosion which will kill the panels. Fortunately looking carefully at the solar panels should reveal if there is any corrosion starting. None has so far happened on my panels but the sunroof edge seals have failed 2 times having been replaced the first time under warranty.