1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2013 Hybrid Gear Shift Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Addi, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Addi

Addi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am having very strange issue with the Auto shifting of Gears. Gear will only change to the next when I leave the accelerator. If I keep pushing the accelerator without taking my feet out of it, the gear will not change. For example on straight highway, if I push the accelerator and don't take my feet from it, the gear will not change and I can feel from the engine sound that's its getting heavy but as soon as I will leave the accelerator and push it again, the gear will change and I can feel the car is getting lighter and the gear has changed. Anyone can please help what is this and how to recover from this issue and why the Gear is dependent on stepping accelerator. Appreciate it.

2. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are no gearshifts in a Prius. It sounds like the electric motor is not doing much. It could be an issue with the high voltage battery pack. You'll need either a dealer to check it out or try to find something out by yourself using an OBDII adapter and the torque app.
    Or it could just be how a Prius drives. When you accelerate briskly, the engine will rev up and when you let go off the accelerator it will go to low revs.
    Are you new to Prius driving?

3. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    That is how it should work, as there are no gears. When you push it, the engine revs up to give you max power. When not, it goes low rev or even shuts down

4. Addi

Addi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Maarten28 for the reply. Actually I have been driving it for last 2 years. How I found this issue as my fuel consumption has gone up. Before this issue I was getting 25Km/L and now it has drop down to 13KM/L. Also in hilly areas (uphill road) the car takes lot of power to go up however before it was very smooth.

5. Addi

Addi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks 4est for the reply. That's an issue when I push the accelerator without taking my step out of accelerator, it remain stay at the current position (it does not revup) unless until I take my step away from the accelerator then it revup.

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

How many miles on your Prius? What maintenance has been done? Have you noticed any issues with the HV Battery (or checked the fan to ensure its clean)?

Keep us posted (y)

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be too hot for the battery, and the software will limit use. what is the outside temperature, and do you park in the sun?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Then I really suggest having the HV battery checked.