1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2013 Plug-in - UK Newbie Intro and Questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Andy Cooper, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Hi UK Prius Newbie here!

I feel very late to the Prius party after downsizing a gas guzzling 4x4 Volvo to a Dec 2013 four-year-old Prius 3rd Gen plug-in with just 16k miles on the clock and one careful female former owner. As 95% of our 8k per annum journeys are in a small City and below 5 miles, it made sense to get something nimble, economical and good for the environment.

It have spent quite a while reading the user manuals and dipping through the wealth of knowledge on this forum (thank you everyone!). However, I do have a few newbie questions that others may be able to provide or direct me to answers that already exist:

(i) It's chilly here in the UK but on a full charge the electric range is showing as 12.7 miles instead of the 15 advertised. Is that within the expected range for a 4-year-old battery?

(ii) When the Navigation system is connected to a mobile phone, will it update the route based on travel conditions? (I'm guessing not as it seems very basic).

(iii) Toyota didn't provide the car with any mats or accessories, so I have ordered footwell and luggage mats. However, I am having trouble sourcing a roll-out load cover for this model (ebay has some scruffy second hand ones for an expensive £110/$150). Does anyone know a good source by any chance? (UK if possible)

(iv) We have two kids aged 7 and 10 who enjoy family bike rides. Does anyone know the best way to transport four bikes on a Prius plug-in? My guess is two on the roof and two on the back, but I'm wondering whether a tow-bar based four bike carrier is a better option? or is a Saris Bones three-bike a good way to go?

Any pointers on these questions would really help as I seem to be going around in circles on these.

Many thanks!

Andy

Burna J likes this.
  2. Shibikku

Shibikku Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Andy Cooper, congrats on the PIP. I am currently looking for one myself. I do apologize that I will not be able to answer your question #1-2 because I do not have nor I do not live in the UK, but I can definitely answer question #3 and #4.

#3 - I hope this will help you with your findings, because I know the US can sometimes have different options compared to other countries.
    a) OEM All weather mats - via amazon or toyota website. (Toyota Part Number: PT908-47120-20)

b) WeatherTech All weather mats - can be found at weathertech website.

My father in law has the WeatherTech in his 2017 Toyota Tundra, and he loves it.

#4 - You can always get a OEM or an aftermarket hitch and purchase a bike carrier to hold all of your bicycles.

again, I hope this helps! (I do apologize, I'm unable to post links)
    S

Andy Cooper and RCO like this.
  3. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Shibikku - many thanks for your prompt response!

I will check out the all weather mats - thanks.

I'm unsure though about the hitch as I don't think this model is officially cleared in the UK for a tow bar. Earlier today I tried calling a garage and they couldn't find an aftermarket hitch... sadly.

Shibikku likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Welcome!
    Just 1 quick answer for you. Regarding your electric range, the traction pack LOVES to be warm ... warmer than it usually is, in the UK ... even warmer than most UK summers (i did one semester in Cambridge), much less UK winters ... so yea, between cool temps, & /or rain ... that can be the downside. The upside is cool weather will slow your traction pack's capacity loss. So you win a little bit of longevity via coolness & give a little in range. Try reading up here on blocking your front grill. It can be an easy way to improve fuel mileage once the electric range depletes.
    Enjoy!

#5 hill, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Andy Cooper, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    i've lost about 15% since new. currently at 10 miles in coldest winter, and 15 miles in the best weather (no hvac, dry roads, very little stop and go, fairly flat, avg speeds around 25-35mph, easy on the acceleration)

all the best!(y)

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat Andy and congratulations on your new car. You've joined a great forum in my opinion and both the advice and the company are second to none!

Andy Cooper and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Many thanks for such a warm welcome everyone!

Progress on answering my questions so far:

(i) Range - 12.7 miles seems about right then for the cold weather and age of my car.

(ii) Navigation system - looking into it a bit more, it does look like it draws traffic updates from my mobile phone via bluetooth (... I'm trying to figure out if it is worth ditching Google Maps for my basic journeys)

(iii) Finding a reasonably priced load cover in the UK seems like quite a challenge. I will keep on searching.

(iv) I think I'm ordering a Saris Bones 3 carrier for the boot and a Thule footpack for roofbars on top. I'll see how that goes.

Meanwhile, I will carry on trawling through your links and the great boards!

RCO and bisco like this.