1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2014 - Multiple Door Lock Actuator Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PsyAntIst, Oct 3, 2018.

1. PsyAntIst

PsyAntIst New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey All,

I am the original owner of a 2014 Prius. At around 45,000 to 50,000 miles over a short period of time three door locks stopped working. First the driver side, lock stopped responding to the FOP and the key-less entry stopped working on the passenger handle. Next the rear door on the driver side stopped responding to the FOB followed by the front passenger door. The hatchback and rear passenger side door respond to the FOB. All locks work manually.

At the 50,000 check-up the dealer told my wife the locks needed to be replaced at a cost of $750.00 per lock since the cars is out of warranty. It seems odd that 3 locks would fail close to the same time. Has anyone else had this issue or know of any issues with the 2014 Prius? Could this be something other than the actuators?

I've owned Toyota vehicles all my life. I have followed the upkeep on his car more than any other car I have owned. This is seriously going to make me think twice about purchasing another Toyota.

2. PsyAntIst

PsyAntIst New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bump

Anyone?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    test the 12v health

4. PsyAntIst

PsyAntIst New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply.

I thought about that, but the rear passenger and hatch seem to work without any issues.

When you say have the trouble codes read, is a code logged in the system if the actuator fails? How about if the door lock fails and it isn't the actuator? Does the dealer have to read the codes?

I once had the engine light turn on due to the gas cap being loose. The dealer wanted $125 to read the error before anything was done. Having suspected this was a gas cap issue I waited and 4 days later the light went off. I would hate to pay $25 for a diagnostic read that tells me three actuators are bad.

5. Megamax

Megamax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All four actuators failed on my 2012, so it definitely happens. I was also fairly disappointed about this, although it's the only thing that has gone wrong on the car (literally) and I'm at 145k.

I replaced them myself with actuators I bought on eBay from seller actuatorplus. They were about $100 a pop or so. It's not a bad job and there are some DIY's out there somewhere. There's also a thread on this site about replacing the individual motors in the actuator, but that's more than I wanted to deal with.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do they not work from the inside door switches?

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    over a short period of time three door locks stopped working. First the driver side, lock stopped responding to the FOP and the key-less entry stopped working on the passenger handle. Next the rear door on the driver side stopped responding to the FOB followed by the front passenger door. The hatchback and rear passenger side door respond to the FOB. All locks work manually.

It just doesn't sound like a lock issue to me. Sounds more like an electronics issue or something.

All four actuators failed on my 2012, so it definitely happens.

This definitely falls under the category of having to see it to believe it.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the way they failed from the fob, then sks is odd

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would say start with the simple stuff. Put a new battery in the FOB. It's a 2014 and probably has the original 12v. Like Bisco said and regardless of justification not to, get the 12v battery checked or just replace it. It's about due anyway. Peace of mind. Or just hook up a charger to it. Cheap(er) and easier thangs to do before investing too much time and effort. A bunch of door locks failing simultaneously doesn't pass the coincidence test.

10. Ramsey Warren

Ramsey Warren New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This definitely happens. I am replacing my third door actuator inside of 3 months. The motors inside the actuator fail around the same time. You can try to take apart the actuators and replace the motors for $15, but it is much easier to just buy the whole actuator assembly for $110 from actuators plus on ebay and he offers a lifetime warranty (if you mail the old ones back in his prepaid envelope he sends you) so when they fail in another 5 years you can get them replaced for free.

For the instructions to fix yourself:, just google the exact phrase "DIY: How to Replace the Door Lock Actuator on Your 3rd Gen Prius" and click on the machanon blog post.

The fix seems a bit intimidating, but it only took me 45 minutes the first time and closer to 25 minutes the next time since I knew what I was doing.