1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2014 Optima Yellow Top Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alexy1214, Nov 7, 2014.

1. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    BatteryStuff Articles | Common Causes of Battery Failure

2. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It was a 1955 International Harvester model TD-9 . My father and I were trying to start it up, after it had been sitting parked for about 12 years. My father said the batteries were at least 20 years old. I was about 10 years old. We poured about 3 gallons of distilled water into the batteries, and hooked it up to the truck to boost the battery. After 15 minutes or so, the motor turned over, and the engine started up. The batteries performed just fine after that. Dad said, "they sure don't make batteries like that anymore."

#22 GregP507, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If the battery is outgassing or emitting corrosive ejecta, there is a problem with the charging voltage regulating system.

Basically, it is charging at higher voltage than required, and thus, "boiling" off the electrolyte.

It could be just a little over and NOT noticeable and within limits of the vehicle's design, but still "boils" water out of the battery.

I would have replace the voltage regulator long ago.

4. Virg

Virg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With ANY of todays modern cars/trucks with all the electronics that are in them and on "standby" during off periods; I would replace the 12v battery every three years, whether it showed signs of weakness or not. Sure beats being stuck out in the boonies and having to call a tow or service truck. Cheap insurance I'd say.

Oh...and I'd use the dealer for the battery. That way there is NO question if you have problems later on as to proper installation and battery quality. Keeping my fingers crossed on my 2014 Prius.

5. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's an interesting dichotomy; we have been conditioned over the years to expect to replace our car batteries at least every few years, yet when it comes to electric vehicles, a lifespan of 5 years or more is the minimum we would expect. It makes no sense that a 5-year car battery would be "too expensive" and equally unacceptable that an EV battery should last only 2 years. It's basically the same technology we've had for years. I think we should be demanding a longer service life for our batteries. The MBA's who are convincing manufacturers to shorten the service life of their products can go suck eggs.