1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2015 oscillating noise after someone hit side rear

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tellsplatte, Mar 26, 2016.

1. tellsplatte

tellsplatte New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Prius 2015 oscillating noise after someone hit side rear

Someone hit my Prius 2015 while it was parked. Since being hit, I can hear an oscillating noise that gets fairly pronounced at 70+ mph. This noise is like: similar to a gradually increasing engine noise, as if there is a truck next to me that's trying to gradually out pace me or oscillating road noise. It's mild at 50 mph, but gets pretty pronounced at 70+ mph.

Today, I got the hub bearings replaced. Thought this would fix it, but it didn't. The sound seems to be less pronounced than it was before, but still there. Odd.

Thus far, the cosmetics have been repaired and axle replaced by a body repair shop, and the hub-bearings replaced to by a Toyota dealer. Please help!

Attached Files:

2. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    did you get an alignment report with your axle repair?

tires could be unbalanced as well. does the steering wheel shake at all?

3. tellsplatte

tellsplatte New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, everything seems to drive/perform fine aside from the strange oscillating noise. It almost sounds like an engine noise from the base of the vehicle towards the accident side. Really appreciate your feedback!

4. tellsplatte

tellsplatte New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, I am not aware of any alignment report. I did ask for an alignment though.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! could be tyre damage, maybe the axle needs looking at by the dealer. is this all being taken care of by insurance? if so, i would let the dealer figure it out.

6. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    no problem, although full disclosure collision repair is well above my pay grade and i'm not sure where to go from here. gut instinct is telling me cv joint / bearings / alignment but you got all three checked. *shrug*

see if the vehicle pulls to a side when braking. alignment job may not have been up to snuff.

it's possible the fluid in your cv joint just hasn't "settled" properly yet although it should only take a few dozen miles at the absolute most.