1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2016 starts selling in Germany on Feb. 20th

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by pakitt, Jan 13, 2016.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    PS: so - I was at the dealer Tuesday, now it is Friday and I have seen no offer in my email. Another dealer that I visited the week before the Prius came out and that handed me 2 offers on paper, said he would call me back for a test drive, never heard from him since.
    I am wondering: do they really sell Priuses so easily in Munich, or they simply don't want to sell cars because they are so well off??? or simply bad sales guys? I don't see that many Toyota's on the streets of Munich to be honest, and even less Priuses, unless they are Taxis, and even in that case, typically they are Mercedes.....

2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So I have decided to sell my Gen3 and get the Gen4....!
    After a not so good experience at one dealer, I spare you the details, which seemed to me it didn't simply not want to sell the car, I have found and got a good offer from another one. He will give me 9000€ for my 2009 Gen3 with 100.000km on it (in line with market prices, I checked myself - the Auris Touring Sports does not help much my chances of getting a better price on it), and sells me the car (paying cash) for 27990€. 255€ is the cost for years 4 and 5 for the extended warranty. I will not finance it since they are at 3-4% interest rate - I am lucky I can pay cash and avoid the extra cost. I plan to keep the car well more than 3-4 years.

Warranty is 3 years/100.000km on everything and 5 years / 100.000 km on the hybrid components battery included.
    I am a bit annoyed you still have to do checks / oil changes every 15.000km... and you must do them with Toyota, otherwise the warranty is void.

I will get a dark grey (called here "marlin grau") Comfort (mid-trim) version, with IPA+ICS, and rubber mats and luggage compartment cover. In Germany, talking about "colours" is a bit of joke, since you get 5 shades of grey (white, pearl white, silver and dark grey and black), blue and red. That's it. Wow, how many colours. Dark/marlin grey seems to be a dark graphite almost "black" tone of grey, much darker than the one I have on my Gen3 - it should look really good :)

The car is so full of features, there is not really much more to add on it. The choice of options is very limited and I actually like that.
    It is not uncommon here to get a small booklet with tens of different options and packets when you get a VW... and I hate that.
    The overall price is 32325€ (which is 2-3k€ cheaper than a similarly configured Golf) and I get a 4335€ discount (about 13% off the list price).
    The final discounted price is very similar to the one I paid for the Gen3 in 2009, but with a lot less features - only difference are winter tires, which I will need to buy again, as I need to have them fit with TPMS sensors (and they are old anyways). That will be another 6-800€, in September/October... Considering the many extra features, the x-rate and inflation rates since 2009, I am glad to see that Toyota is not really ripping off the customers and still offering more or less the same price.

The only other thing that I find utterly nonsense about the trim levels, is that with all the safety features the car is packed with, already at the base level, the rain sensor, in not a super sunny country like Germany, is available exclusively on the Executive trim (the 3rd and last one available). For me the rain sensor is quite a safety feature, as it clears the windshield on rainy days when on the highway somebody preceding you changes lane and comes in front of you (suddenly) and sprays the windshield with water. I am so used on my Gen3 to simply wait and have the sensor take care of that very quickly...it will be really hard at the beginning to get used to the regular "intermittent" wiper function on the Gen4 and pre-empt the spraying by turning the wiper on myself...I really don't understand what is going on at Toyota EU/Germany, offering the rain sensor not even as an option on the Comfort mid-trim level.

I will not get integrated Navigation as I am really happy and extremely well served by my Tomtom with HD traffic. Not to mention it costs a fraction of the price of an integrated solution and it is upgradeable any time with the latest in navigation technology. Or simply with an app on my mobile.

Talking of mobile, the Qi charger is standard on the Comfort level, I wonder if I will ever use it, since I currently own an iPhone and unless Apple decides to offer this standard as wireless charging in the future, it will be left unused by me, or maybe used only from friends.

I wanted to order the car yesterday but the sales guy got sick exactly yesterday and I will not be able to go through with it till coming Monday. Considering that delivery for dark grey with IPA+ICS is not expected until mid-July (yes, you have read right), a couple of days will not make much of a difference.
    Because end of March the "Fitness check" on my Gen3 was due, the dealer was really nice to offer it to me for free, since he will get the car in his possession shortly after and I have an extended warranty still on it that would be rendered void if the check were skipped.

As a side note: the PDF Price list on the toyota.de site shows that IPA+ICS is an optional feature in the Comfort trim, but it doesn't list it as something you can order in the options list. Only the parking sensors are listed.
    On the website car configurator, it lists it as a possible option for a price of...0€! (the dealer told me it is actually 950€... and he says one can order it as an option).
    Moreover, the underside door lights (to illuminate the ground when you enter/exit the car, are shown as an option of the Comfort level (and standard on the executive one) - too bad you cannot order it at all (not even showing up in the dealer's ordering system). Will I get it? let's wait and see this summer when I will get my hands on my Gen4.

PS: I am honestly hoping that delivery times will be a bit shorter.... :)

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! Did you consider "downgrade" for 16" or 15" rims?

4. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Change of topic here, but I notice you are in Munich and have a 2009 Prius. I hope you might answer a question I cannot answer here in the USA. That would be, how does the Prius (or any hybrid) do on the Autobahn for top speed? I have always guessed there would be two top speeds, one when the battery is loaded and able to contribute power to the wheels, and another lower top speed when the battery is empty and the car has to go with the gas motor alone. Might you share your experience?

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Having been to 100 mph (160 km/h) in both our Gen-1 and Gen-3, they work just fine. There is plenty of engine power to sustain the speed and the traction battery is only needed when encountering an upgrade. But on flat land, it works just fine and brings the traction battery SOC back up.

Bob Wilson

6. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    pakitt likes this.
  7. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Bob and Gasper.
    I took my '13 Prius c on I-70 from Colorado to I-15 in Utah with the cruise set at 85mph. There was long upgrade where just shy of the summit, the speed suddenly dropped by about 15 MPH. The battery icon showed empty. It quickly recharged after the summit. This led me to think that flat out on the Autobahn, the battery would drain down at top speed and cut the Hybrid Drive's output. Sounds like my thinking was wrong.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The best way to handle a climb is to use the energy display and slack off speed to minimize traction battery drain. But you've reminded me of another suggestion for the Gen-5 ... metrics on the energy display.

Bob Wilson

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats @pakitt !

Yes the dark grey is much darker than your previous one (which is actually based on blue according to the Toyota colour code). The dark grey was offered on the Gen 2 Prius in the US/Canada as well.

Looks like your colour options are the same as Canada (minus the pure white).

Rain-sensing wipers are offered for the first time in North America (it's not a widely available feature on non-luxury cars here) so for us, it's a "new" thing and it's also only offered on the top model (Four/Four Touring in the U.S., Technology with Advanced package in Canada)

pakitt likes this.
  10. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No, as I would have to buy them separately and I have to already buy a new set of winter tires. 3 sets of wheels, not really a good plan :D

11. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have even made some videos of me driving top speed on the Autobahn with my Gen3. The top speed is kept and reached by the ICE, the electric motor helps a bit, then it simply does not have the torque and power to push the car, the ICE does.
    Once you have depleted the battery, and reached top speed, the engine will slowly charge the battery. If you break a bit the speed will charge it quite fast. A full battery at that speed will help a bit, but torque to push the car, say from 150 to 170km/h is mainly from the ICE.
    Once I have time I will post the video on the Gen3 forums. I never really had the chance and then simply forgot to do it...

12. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    PS: the sales guy is still sick! it is so frustrating I cannot even order it! :(

13. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't feel bad, the choices are about as limited in the US, except that "white" is replaced by "sea glass pearl", a sort of very light green. It's a pity no brighter colors are offered, perhaps some version of yellow, or a lime green.

pakitt likes this.
  14. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And the delivery can be worse, unfortunately. The Toyota Japan had to stop their production lines in Februaryfor a week due to the explosion at steelwork factory, which delivers steel for Prius and Lexus.
    BTW Toyota Czech solved the supply shortage by their own - no Prius 4 in CZ at all.

pakitt likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's one way to do it. :confused:. Did they just delay the launch date, @PaJa?

16. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Pt some have been delivered to customers...

pakitt and bwilson4web like this.
  17. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They (TMCZ) don't know or would not like to show up the exact date. They just started the new RAV4 (also s a hybrid) marketing campaign.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh ok.

19. Jorin

Jorin Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I ordered a Prius fourth generation with all inclusive (Executive trim) last week. Pure white color, black interiour. Will be shipped in late april. Can't wait, since my Lexus CT 200h is already back at the dealer.

pakitt likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mechanical issues or an early trade-in?

I've never been tempted by the Lexus models but just curious.

Bob Wilson