1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2017 v C-HR v Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Ferrarilover, Sep 3, 2017.

1. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    £1.15/l UK, £5.23 GBP a gallon which is $8.43 Canadian, taking into account our gallons are 1.25 x US gallons (do they use US gallons in Canada ?), that's $6.74 Canadian a US gallon.

RCO and Data Daedalus like this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Canada sells gasoline per litre.
    Vehicle efficiency is usually expressed in L/100Km although advertising still sometimes uses Miles/Imperial Gallon.
    AFAIK, the US is the only country using US Units of measure.

RCO, Data Daedalus and kithmo like this.
  3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    So we're nearly double the price :eek:

RCO and Data Daedalus like this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the maths, mate. We're up another penny/litre this afternoon when I filled up for drive to Wales tomorrow.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Ours went up to £1.19 a litre during the school holidays, it's just dropped back to £1.16 now the kids are back.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been fluctuating between $1.35-$1.40/litre. Cheapest in the country is 95¢/litre. $4/gal is because the US-CAN exchange rate has become more favourable for Americans. If it was at parity like it was two years ago, it would be $5/gal.

Based on today's rate with the GBP, $1.35/litre is 83.8p/litre. and $1.40 is 87p/litre. The cheapest (95¢/litre) converts to 59p/litre.

That might be the difference ;) lol. I wasn't. And usually when we buy, we've already test driven the vehicle ahead of time (either at a test drive event or at the same place but at an earlier date).

Canada uses imperial gallons technically (and therefore imperial MPG) but to avoid confusion with the US gallon (and since we've converted to metric), we use litres and kilometres.

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I sat in one at a local dealer showroom but could not drive it due the recall & stop sale for the parking brake clip. They claimed they had one already sold but unable to deliver due to the stop sale.

8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just in south Wales and Sainsbury's near here is selling @ 112.9 or per gallon, but Cornwall was 116.9 p/litre when I left yesterday. On route, pump prices were as high as £1.27/litre where I could see them. I avoid like the plague the motorway service fuel pumps!

9. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Motorways are such a rip off!

iPhone ?

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  10. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only 5 more sleeps until I get my test Drives.

Interestingly, my wife has now warmed towards the Prime as the favourite. One of the reasons given is that she would prefer to plug it in rather than go to the gas station (she hates filling up).

That suits me as I think the Prime is my favourite too. We just need to confirm that we can get a weekends luggage for a family or four and a dog in there. Ideally I would like to be able to fit 2 weeks worth of luggage for longer holidays but might be happy to use a roof box for the once a year trip.

If that does work out then the regular Prius is next in line with the CHR at the back of the queue.

iPhone ?

pilotgrrl, Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't Europe (Eventually) getting higher powered hybrids? (It was announced at Frankfurt). So potentially either (or both) the Prius and/or the CH-R may have more powerful versions (and I assume a reduction in fuel economy)

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you see this thread?
    All the stuff I've loaded into my Prime's cargo area | PriusChat

13. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You won't be disappointed whatever you choose, but remember there must always be compromises in 3 way choices.

Data Daedalus and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    or in two way choices...

16. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the right compromise will be the Prime. My wife has started to ask about things like what the wall charger looks like, whether we can get a roof box and how easy it is to charge.

For me the key draws of the Prime are the looks, 8 inch screen v 7 inch in the Prius, better LED lights and plug in function. Having looked at the money both the plug in and normal Prius are the same after fuel is taken into account so it is a straight decision based on what we like.

During my test drives I plan on taking lots of pictures and providing my thoughts.

I am obsessed at the moment and just want Monday to come!

iPhone ?

17. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have now had the Prime / Plug In for two days and have a few observations. These are against what I am used to which is a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 diesel auto.

Pros:
    - better ride and handling. It’s very smooth over the bumps and goes around corners well.
    - faster. Especially from a standing start.
    - comfortable cruiser. Sits at 80mph nicely. In the UK I only do 70mph but we go to France and so need to be able to comfortably do 130kph.
    - JBL and audio touchscreen. Much better what I am used with good sound at all levels.
    - quiet electric drive. Love the quietness while on electric. Appear to be getting about 25 miles but not massively focused on it.
    LED lights - they are amazing. The auto full beam and being able to drop some parts of the beam while maintaining the other parts of the road are amazing.

Cons:
    - rear seatbelts. we have to younger children (7 & 3) and they are both in full ISOFIX car seats. The 7 year old can put their own seat on no issues but we still put the 3 year olds on for them. As the rear arm rear is fixed I find it difficult to do while leaning into the car. It has got easier over the 48 hours and I am sure there will be a knack to doing it and so will become more natural.
    - sat nav. The sat nav works perfectly fine with the exception of the fact that the map seems to be about 10 metres behind the actual car. That has lead to me missing a few turnings where there are a number of roads close together. The voice commands and instructions in the 4.2inch screens are spot on so I can get around it.

Neutral:
    - boot space. We have managed to do a big monthly shop and fill it up with suitcases. Both are satisfactory. We still think that for our main 2 week holiday will require a roof box but that was expected. A week away will be no issues.

Happy to answer any questions.
    I will add any further thoughts on the Prime / Plug In if anything else comes up.

I get the Prius on Thursday and C-HR on Monday so will let you know what I think.

At the moment I can’t see either of them beating the Prime / Plug In.

iPhone ?

18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the frank review. :)

Ferrarilover likes this.
  19. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Who's Frank ? :whistle:

RCO likes this.
  20. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Excellent review, very informative. I saw a Prime in Rotherham Yesterday, first one I've seen, it was a mid metallic blue colour with grey accents around the rear lights, it looked amazing from the front and side but I'm still not enamoured with the rear end though.

21. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Today we took a trip of ~120 miles and averaged 62mpg. Most of the journey was at 60/70 mph on the motorway.

None of the journey was completed with Plug In electricity as my wife had used that up running errands during the day.

This is ~15 mpg better that what I would have achieved in my diesel.

The cruise control really impressed on both the motorway and slower roads. It takes all of the stress out of driving.

One additional thing to note is the rear window. All night it has rained heavily but as soon as I got about 30ish mph the wind started to dry it off. At 60 mph it looked completely dry. I didn’t miss the wiper and think that the more interesting shape of window is worth the compromise.

iPhone ?

RCO likes this.
  22. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So the Plug In has gone back and now I have the standard Prius.
    Fortunately, I have needed to travel 180 miles today for work and so got to spend over 3 hours on it one day one.

My observations so far are:
    - mpg - I managed 73 mpg with average speed of about 50 mph. I set the cruise at 70 where possible although the M6/M5 both have plenty of 50 and 30 mph zones so that would have helped. This is 10 mpg more than what I achieved in the plug in. Is that normal???? In the plug in it was dark, raining and I had 4 people in the car and the traffic was more stop start. Today it was more free flowing, day time and dry. Plus I was on my own.
    - screen size - the Prius’s 7 inch screen does look as nice as the 8 inch in the plug in. I didn’t seem as clear or high definition but maybe that’s just my subconscious.
    - general driving - again this could be subconscious but it just feel like all of the systems (cruise/nav etc) are all just one tiny step better than the Prius. It felt like it was one system release further up the road but I don’t know if that’s true.
    Noise - the Prius on 15 inch wheels seemed to be slightly noisier than the plug in on the same size wheels.

Other than I found it very difficult to see/feel the differences of them both.

I would be glad to hear any thoughts on what I have found/observed.

iPhone ?

RCO likes this.
  23. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What Trim? My average is just over 60 mpg US which is lower than some here.
    @RCO and @kithmo can give you their UK experiences.
    My lower trim US seats can get uncomfortable on a long trip. How does seat comfort compare with the Prime?

24. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s the excel trim (top spec in the Uk) but has the smaller wheels fitted.

The seats are exactly the same as the plug in ones (leather).
    I find that my right leg gets uncomfortable if I leave my wallet in my pocket in both cars. I don’t have this issue in my Citroen but I just have learnt to take my wallet out of my pocket.

iPhone ?

Data Daedalus, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  25. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    None of the US trims on either car have leather. Higher trims have Softex fake leather.
    My earlier post tagged those other UK users so they should be here shortly.

26. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine might be fake leather but I am sure the brochure just says leather. Will check.

iPhone ?