1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2017 v C-HR v Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Ferrarilover, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know leather is available in the UK.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    It is real leather on the UK Excel trim.
    73mpg (UK gallons), indicated on the trip, sounds about right for the journey you mentioned. When I set cruise to 75mph (10% speedo error on UK versions) on a similar journey, I got 66mpg (indicated) over 240 miles.
    I also found the seat bolster was making my right leg ache when I first got mine, I just shifted my backside round a bit, I think it's to do with the seat and pedals alignment.

3. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you think it’s right that I would get better mpg from the Prius v plug in? That’s with no plug charge?

iPhone ?

4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought the Prius Plug-in (Prime) plugin had a larger traction battery. @Tideland Prius tends to keep up with model differences.
    BTW, our Prius v is your Prius+. It has more cargo space than the Prius, now called the Prius Liftback. The Prius+ is heavier and based on the older Generation 3 Prius. The current Prius & Plug-in are Generation 4 and are more efficient.

Prius+ | Overview & Features | Toyota UK

#44 Prodigyplace, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I think the first plug-in (Gen 3 shape) used to get better mpg when running in normal hybrid mode, but I'm not sure with this one. I would guess they should be similar, there's only 65kg difference in weight between the two.

6. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the issue was more the conditions rather than the car then. Remarkable efficiency though either way.

iPhone ?

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My trim is the Business Edition, cloth seats and no satnav, but had most other useful aids. At the moment my average from the car is ~73mpg at each fill up. A trip to hospital (25 miles) yesterday got me 83mpg but driving easy and 60 or lower. I'm about 5'9" and am very comfortable in my seats, but that's always gonna be subjective.

Considering your load and the power demands on the Prius plug-in in compared with the Prius, I am not surprised your mpg improved. A greater load will always require more energy to get from a to b. Over time you will find that even repeating the same journey you may get different mpg for any number of valid reasons which we won't go into here as they've been covered extensively elsewhere on this site. Comparing the two models with no plug in charge, I'd think the Prius would best the plug in for economy due to the extra weight of the battery etc the car has to lug around. Real world figures might be different, because I can't see the point of having the plug-in and not using the external charging to get a much better mileage.

Sorry old boy, the Prius Prime over here is known as the Prius Plug-in and the 'v' was used her to denote versus. We too have the Prius+ in UK but it's not often seem in my neck of the woods, but thanks for the thoughtful advice.

Data Daedalus and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would plug it in every day so not too much of a worry but thought I would try it without charge to see the impact.

iPhone ?

Data Daedalus, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the US fuel economy comparison, using the standardized tests.
    upload_2017-10-6_7-27-53.png

upload_2017-10-6_7-29-10.png

Attached Files:

RCO likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Corrected.
    The first model here was called the Prius Plug-in. For the next generation, it became the Prius Prime.

11. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    The economy on my UK Excel on 17” wheels never fails to amaze me. Drove down to Ceddar a couple of weeks ago and got fantastic consumption as can be seen in the photo.

On my 7 mile commute to work I get 80+ most days and on the odd occasion over 100.

It will be interesting to see how far it tumbles come winter. Single digits this morning and I still got 80+

From what I have read in UK magazines they prefer the non plugin as it’s more balanced, cheaper and more rounded. It will be interesting to see which you prefer.

Attached Files:

RCO likes this.
  12. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    About to head home where he real test can start. We will put the car seats in and look at what we can get on the boot.

iPhone ?

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the boot will not hold the required cargo, you might want to consider losing a few mpg and getting a Prius+.

My son had a 2005 Prius but ran out of space transporting hos dogs & equipment to dog shows. He now has a 2015 Prius v (Prius+).

#53 Prodigyplace, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    kithmo likes this.
  14. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have thought about that but want the latest generation of technology and style.

iPhone ?

15. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone in the UK know if it’s possible to get the navigation instructions to appear in the HUD?
    I can’t seem to find it in any of the menus.

iPhone ?

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. For whatever reason, they removed that feature in European-spec vehicles. There was another European member (can't remember if it was @civicdriver06 or @giora or another member) that looked around for an answer and came up empty.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a possible workaround IF you really want Nav in HUD.
    There are two apps on the Google play store that I use, Hudway Go and Navier HUD. Both provide on screen navigation with voice and can be switched to HUD mode at max screen brilliance such that the reflection from the windscreen is correctly orientated. You will need to temporarily fix your phone to the top of the fascia to stop it sliding around, but the best place would be over the built-in HUD aperture, (otherwise it's not bright enough in daylight). This will give optimal reflection but conceals the car's generic information.

I realise you have an iPhone and the two apps aren't in the App Store. There are a couple of different ones but I really can't advise you on those. An older, bright screen Android phone would seem to be the least worst option for you, but unless using the existing screen reflection area, useless in daylight. Not to be defeated by these limitations, you could prop the phone somewhere near the driving sight line and try that. Good luck anyway!

Ferrarilover likes this.
  18. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Not in the HUD, but you can get it to appear on the MFD screen by selecting the compass screen.

Ferrarilover and RCO like this.
  19. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have resorted the using the MFD screen which is fine. Shame about the HUD.

iPhone ?

kithmo likes this.
  20. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So far it looks like the Prius Plug In has won against the regular Prius.

The extra seat is a non issue as we have confirmed that no one can sit in the middle with the car seats in place.

The smaller boot isn’t a concern as we have also confirmed that for a two weeks holiday both cars require a roof box. For other times the smaller boot is good enough.

Obviously things might change today/tomorrow and we still have the CHR to test next week.

iPhone ?

Tideland Prius, RCO and kithmo like this.