1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2017 v C-HR v Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Ferrarilover, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So the competitiion of the Prius's is over and the Plug In has certainly won for the reasons in the post above.

I thought that was the end of it and never thought that the CHR would feature. The main reason for the test drive was just to confirm that it wasn't right for us.

So... how what are first impressions?

MPG - Very impressed. I was expecting this to be substantially less than the Prius but today on a 80 mile round trip on mainly motorways I managed to get 66 mpg. I don't know how it operates around town but so far so good.
    Handling - With its 18' tyres it was like it was on rails. It is much more fun to drive that the Prius - and I was impressed with that too.
    Ride - The trade off was the ride which is quite hard. It isn't ever harsh and I didn't hear the suspension bottom out or anything even when going fast. I think both the CHR and Prius has the right amount of trade off of ride vs handling. The Prius has a better ride but sufficient handling while the CHR has better handling with sufficient ride quality.
    Dashboard - I prefer the dashboard layout of the CHR when compared to the Prius. There isn't much in it but I like the fact that the sat nav screen is so high up on the dashboard so it is easier to glance at for instructions.
    Noise - The CHR is easily on par with the Prius in terms of noise. It might even be slightly quieter when it revs hard. Road noise doesn't seem to be any worse either.
    Back windows - This is the start of the negatives... The kids (3 & 7) just can't see out of the back. The 3 year old has to look up towards the sky 45 degrees and then she can't see anything but clouds... The 7 year old can see forwards and slightly to the side but can't see directly out as the window cuts off her view. Also, with the tinted windows and black headlining it is a pretty gloomy place to be. This is especially true as we plan to spend 3 days in the car to France.
    Boot space - The boot has technically the same amount of space in the CHR (floor to load cover) when compared to the Plug In (floor to glass). However, the Plug In has much more usable space. For example, in the Plug In I can get two suitcases (one on top of the other) length ways and then a large holdall by the side. The CHR however has a boot which is too short for the suitcase to go that way around so that they have to go in sideways. This leaves no room for the holdall even thought the boot is taller. This shows that sometimes floor space is more important overall volume.
    Mobile charging - The CHR doesn't have a wireless charger which is a negative, but it does have a power socket in the armrest so I can charge with the wires hidden which is a positive... swings and roundabouts!
    Lights - The adaptive LED lights on the Plug In are much better than the CHR and normal Prius when on full beam as they can keep the lights on even when others are coming the other way. When they are on dipped lights they are all the same.

At the moment I would say that the scores are:
    Plug In - 8/10
    CHR - 7.5/10
    Prius - 7/10

I have the CHR until Thursday and have a few more drives in it between now and then so who knows... things might change.

One thing I would say is that I would be pleased to own any of these vehicles so don't take my scoring to literally.

Happy to take any questions.

pilotgrrl, kithmo, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    The C-HR looks nice. Unfortunately, it appears that Toyota declined to bring it to the USA in hybrid form...correct? If so, how dumb!

pilotgrrl, kithmo and RCO like this.
  3. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And no AWD either.

Toyota marketing in the U.S. has been abominable. Other than us who love their hybrid drivetrain, It is mainly the reliability of the product that brings customers back.

The Scion brand was accidentally successful, then killed by boring redesigns while the Kia Soul with cleaver design and marketing stole that market.

They think they understand the U.S. market but (except for the hybrid drivetrain), up til now, they have been following the market, not leading it.

The new Camry may succeed with general buyers, but the hybrid packages will turn off buyers looking for efficiency and bang for the buck.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah unfortunately the CH-R in North America is hampered by the fact it was originally packaged to be a Scion vehicle. This means we have none of the higher end options like LED headlights (halogens only for us), no sat nav, only cloth upholstery and so on. We do get one choice of a white roof (with 3 body colour options) but no black roof option.

The floor space (floor area) is what Lee Jay has been saying in his cargo capacity posts. He says the Prime has a large floor area (so it's wide and shallow) vs. say a Volt or Ioniq which are deeper but with a smaller floor area.

pilotgrrl, Prodigyplace and RCO like this.
  5. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    What boggles my mind is that they already have a competitor in the hybrid-crossover space...the Kia Niro. The H-CR hybrid is the obvious answer. How they missed this is beyond me.

6. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking to get a white Plug In / Prime. I am going for the solid version rather than pearl with the protection pack.

Does anyone here have the same? Anyone have the protection pack?

iPhone ?

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ?

iPhone ?

9. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I have the solid white as I prefer it to the pearl effect as its a really nice pure white, the pearl can look at bit dull and grey in certain lights. I have the Protection Pack and Chrome pack on my Excel and I really think it finshes the car off (y)

Attached Files:

RCO likes this.
  10. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks fab

iPhone ?

Harters likes this.
  11. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Each to his own, but personally I think chrome is for old classic cars, modern motors should be clean and lean, just my opinion no offence meant. :)

RCO likes this.
  12. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I like chrome if it is subtle. Our 2012 Black Hyundai Sonata Limited is a good use of chrome accents ( in my opinion of course ) :D

RCO and kithmo like this.
  13. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    No offence taken :)

Originally I wasn’t too keen on it around the front lights, but now I really like it.

Thank goodness we are all different :p

RCO and kithmo like this.