1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2023 anyone provide a few quick measurements?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by wstt, Feb 17, 2023.

1. wstt

wstt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks in advance if anyone has a 2023 Prius and could provide a few quick cargo area measurements for me.
    1. with the rear seats folded down what’s the length of the flat area going up the middle? (Or basically from the top edge of the back seat folded down, to the back of the car?)
    2. And the same measurement on the right side just going next to the wheel well sticking out?
    3. The width of the flat area in the trunk between the two wheel wells.
    4. and if the front seat is slid all the way forward, and reclined all the way back, and back seat folded down, how far over the back seat does the front seat overlap, (assuming the headrest is removed). A pic might be helpful.
    Thanks

2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I don't think anyone has taken delivery of a new 2023 Prius yet. But you should have an answer here within 6 months I would think.:whistle:

3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I should be seeing one in person at a car show in a few days (Wednesday) and may be able to grab some of those, but not about ones that involve moving seats around, lol. Depends how busy it is, I guess.

Sounds like you are measuring to move something large in particular, like a surfboard or something?

4. Amysway00

Amysway00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    If you still need this, I'll measure for you.

daisy555 likes this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this your first Prius? I’m asking because I think I saw another post of yours saying this is your first new car. I’ve been trying to get a sense of the cargo space. If the seats are folded down, is the cargo space level?

I thought I saw cargo space dimensions of 2023 Prius and Prime and it seemed like the Prime had larger cargo space but that doesn’t make sense to me. It also looks like both Prius and Prime cargo spaces are not flat along the sides either. There is a space where it drops down along the sides. Wasn’t sure if that was final production design or not. Do my questions make sense? : } Thanks!

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In higher trims with the raised cargo deck, the floor is level with seats folded. In the LE, the cargo area floor is down several inches.

7. Amysway00

Amysway00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I get what you are saying because this was a huge issue for me when I went to buy simply because I needed my 13 year old dog to be able to fit. No, the seats do not fold down "into themselves" to make the surface completely flat. But the backs do lay dawn snuggly on the seat so it doesn't have that weird ramp like feeling. So the there is a slight "step-up" between where the trunk is and where the backs of the seat are when they are laid down.

I hope THAT makes sense. I will take some phots tomorrow to help explain for you. Let me know what you want to see specifically and I will try to help.

bisco likes this.
  8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much. I was initially wondering if I could camp in it like the Gen 2 Prius.

I usually don’t need to put seats down to load my cargo up with either gardening supplies or ceramic art supplies etc. I line the space with a tarp which worked well with Gen 2 because of the wall to wall surface. It looks like the 2023 doesn’t have a flat surface along the left and right side. Looks like I’ll have things falling into the side areas. Is your cargo space like in this photo minus that netted bag?

Attached Files:

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's one of the higher trims with the raised cargo deck. Lift the deck up, and there is a styrofoam tray that holds the tire repair kit and has some storage bins. This should be level with the seats when they are folded down.

The LE doesn't have that. The entire cargo floor goes down to the level of those side pockets in the photo. So it is lower than the folded seat backs.

10. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am on waiting list for an XLE primarily because I want more adjustable seats, softex and smart key that works on more than just driver’s door.

So you are saying the LE is entirely flat without those pocket areas and has no crazy white styrofoam underneath? Probably has spare tire there instead. Why Toyota, why??

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, but no spare.

The owner's manual has some illustrations of the different configurations to the cargo area under fixing a flat tire. The metal subfloor is flat with some type of foam piece over it to protect some wires. In the LE, it is a flat piece with just a space for the tire repair kit. So the cargo volume is completely open. Then there is the cargo try with raised deck in higher trims. Other markets, maybe future option here, can have a foam tray that holds a spare tire instead of the cargo tray.

It looks really easy to switch between the different configurations. Part numbers and prices are just unknowns at this time.

12. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The LE still has pockets on the right and left sides, but they're much less deep than the ones in the XLE and Limited.

There are three configurations that we know of with the Prius(not including the Primes here). Two versions are confirmed for North America, but we don't know if the third is coming over without us customers building it ourselves. (The third version has been seen in Japan.)

1. LE: White tray, but it's just deep enough to hold the tire repair tools. Shallow pockets on the sides. Uneven floor when the rear seats are down.
    2. XLE/Ltd: Thick white tray. Deep side pockets. Flat floor with rear seats down.
    3. Spare tire version: Thick white tray, but it mostly surrounds the tire in the middle. Deep side pockets. Probably even floor, but we don't know for certain. It's possible this version is incompatible with the AWD wiring.

For the Primes, it looks like there's only one configuration. The floor pan is higher than the regular Priuses, so they all have a shallow white tray, but the total height is the same as the XLE/Limited Priuses. Deep side pockets, even floor.

daisy555 likes this.
  13. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I brought home a 2023 Prius Limited on Friday. Here are some images of the hatch area. In my 4th generation Prius, I needed to store everything on the hatch floor. In the 2023 Prius, I got shopping bags and a ground cover in the left side crevice, a toolkit with warning lights in the right gap in front of the 12-volt battery, which is now in the rear. I could store my tools and cleaning items in the pockets in the foam underfloor. Formerly, they were in a bag on the hatch floor.

Attached Files:

daisy555 likes this.
  14. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!

15. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I wasn’t thinking about using the styrofoam sections as storage. Probably because my cargo space is usually preoccupied. Great use of the left and right crevices. Was trying to figure out what to call them. : }

Really appreciate the photos. Wishing the level of the cargo floor was flush with the hatch lock area. I guess it will keep me from loading heavy objects into cargo space.

If you were to fold seats down, is the entire cargo area flat as Hammersmith confirmed above?

I’m waiting for an XLE. Can’t imagine not having a spare tire. Enjoy your new Prius Limited!

16. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It looks flat. I haven't gotten a level to confirm whether it's absolutely flat.

daisy555 likes this.
  17. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks

18. Amysway00

Amysway00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yes. It looks exactly like that minus the netting bag. I am 6ft. I doubt anyone my size would want to lay the seats down to sleep comfortably.. but if I was sleeping with art supplies I would sleep anywhere :)

19. Amysway00

Amysway00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Actually at a closer look, mine is not like that. Here's a few quick pics in the a.m. and rain.. sorry for the quality
    20230428_014209.jpg 20230428_014242.jpg

20. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Interesting. It really is flat all the way across. Nice. The images I saw of the LE were from further away and there must have been some tricks of the light to make it look like shallow pockets. I'll edit my other post in the morning.