1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2023 anyone provide a few quick measurements?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by wstt, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Amysway00

Amysway00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I'll take some tomorrow with the "false floor" out etc. .. in my personal opinion the styrofoam filler they use instead of a spare tire is useless. But they do give you an emergency tire repair kit. Also, if anyone is thinking of taking the styrofoam out to have more space, it doesnt really work. The styrofoam is molded on the underside to the build of the car so there is no flat surface underneath. Hopefully my pictures tomorrow will clear up any confusion.

2. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for pics. So you have an LE. I missed that part. As usual I always want features that are a combination of both models no matter what I’m buying. Now I’m wondering about the all weather guard mats. They must be a different design for the LE and XLE.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The floor pan is likely the same between them, but I remember seeing a picture of the trays removed, and the onboard charger is there. It doesn't take up the entire space, but needs clearances for cooling.

There is also some wiring along the metal floor, including high voltage with AWD, that the foam trays shield.

4. apezam1

apezam1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Prius 2010 swallowed my bike. Sadly not the case with 2023

Attached Files:

Maxwell61 and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's really quite sad. they've turned one of the most utilitarian vehicles into a sports car

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Owners Manual (pdf available, on Toyota Tech Info website and another Toyota owners site IIRC), shows a spare, saying “if equipped”. Reports say unfortunately, Toyota has opted to nix the spare, for all levels in North America, at least at present.

7. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, there's a couple of options for a workaround to get more depth.
    First, at the least the foam can be cut to the bottom of the pockets, and they look quite deep.
    Second, it can be created a light wooden flat bed (removable) with some few wooden supports cut to level the bed & protect everything is below.
    Same with the Prime, but there's on one side the box of the charger, so will be more tricky.

FOLLOW-UP: 2023 XLE PICS OF STORAGE AREA in response to Qs. This is what's under the folding cargo "floor." The foam inserts are not cheap styro but they are foam, attached firmly but removable. They provide essential support to the folding floor, so you'd have to replace them with something else.
    by u/Micromojo in prius

[​IMG]

8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to have a conversation with the person or team who made the decision to use white foam. : /

What is the orange cable?

#28 daisy555, Apr 30, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    dbat23 likes this.
  9. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The orange cable is to power the rear drive motor on AWD models.

daisy555 likes this.
  10. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Nobody was buying it anymore!!

dbat23 likes this.
  11. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Big thanks for reposting the picture. I was thinking the spare could not be mounted to an AWD, but now I'm not so sure. It looks like Toyota took that into consideration. If you look just above the main depression, you can see the shallower depression for the top edge of the tire. Notice that the power cord is mounted into a channel that's slightly recessed, and that the cord in that section is protected by an extra layer of sheathing. If you follow the arc of that curve, it looks like the edge of the spare would just clear where the cable goes through the floor. And I bet the disconnect was placed to fall into the negative space between the spare's bolting flange and its rim.

The more I study this photo, the more I think equipping a spare in an AWD will be no more difficult than mounting one in a FWD. Don't know about the Prime; I haven't looked for a detailed photo of their trunk floor pan.

Maxwell61 likes this.
  12. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Although the hatch space is smaller than in the previous generation, the Gen 5 has scattered more storage around the car than before:

1) The glove box is larger than Gen4. In Gen4, the full set of manuals would not fit in the glove box and had to be stored somewhere else.
    2) There is now a convenient space under the tray below the charging ports (reminiscent of the pull-out drawer in Gen2). I use it to store cables and a plug-in charger. Formerly, I stored these in the console box.
    3) The console box is a bit smaller and has no tray, but with CarPlay, I no longer need to store a phone holder.
    4) The cut-outs in the foam let me store all the stuff (tools, cleaning supplies) that I formerly needed to store in the main hatch area. Similarly, the crevices allow me to store miscellaneous narrow items that used to be on the hatch floor.

The floor of the hatch is now completely available for general use. So, for me, the actual usable hatch space is not diminished in the 2023 Limited (as compared to my Gen 3).

mountaineer, dbat23 and daisy555 like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but that doesn't mean anyone will buy it now. still, they could have made it more stylish, goosed the hp and ev range, whilst keeping the hatch size the same.

daisy555 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    From the manual illustrations, the spare sits in a foam tray, which then sits on the metal floor. So the factory set up has a layer of padding between any wires and tire.

15. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    No, the tray for the spare does not completely cover the floor. It's actually two pieces of the white foam that surrounds the tire rather than laying underneath it. (I paid for a couple days of Toyota TechInfo access, so I've seen images of the trays even if I still don't know the part codes.)

22A is the deck board assembly for the LE (uneven floor w/ rear seats down)
    22B is the deck board assembly for the XLE and Limited (flat floor w/ rear seats down)

23/24A are the deck floor boxes for the LE
    23/24B are the deck floor boxes for the XLE and Limited
    23/24D are the deck floor boxes for the spare tire option

(I think all the Primes use 22B and 23/24B, but I'm not 100% certain.)

2023 Prius Trays.png

#35 Hammersmith, Apr 30, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    Maxwell61 and Trollbait like this.
  16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is a photo floating around like the one in post# 27, but of the Prime. The onboard charger sits on the metal floor to the left. So different tray pieces, and no spare.

17. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You're correct. The two deck floor boxes for the Prime are labeled 12(right) and 13(left) in this diagram. (For orientation, part 15 is the trim that forms the bottom of the rear hatch.)

B683069N01.png

otatrant, Maxwell61 and Trollbait like this.
  18. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, this is it:
    And different metal floor and even different transversal beam close to the seats.
    In the Prime the transversal beam goes up a little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#38 Maxwell61, May 1, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  19. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Comparing these two photos it looks like the Prius and Prime have similar cargo space. The foam has been configured to give level surface for both? What is that to the left on Prime? The battery is under the back seats, right? Thanks!

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it deep enough for a spare?