1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 3rd Gen (2014 JDM) Car feels wobbly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Nabill, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Nabill

Nabill New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car feels uneven/wobbly in flat surface. Did following things:

1) Tire pressure checked
    2) All wheel balanced

Still having this wobbly feeling. I mostly feel it in lower speed. At high-speed I probably don't feel it much. Car has been fully serviced and passed NCT (Irish fitness testing for cars), no issues detected. The wobbly feeling is very subtle and not very strong but it's there. Before I thought it's the road that is making it wobbly but I realized it when driving in underground parking and the car was feeling up and down (on right and left) then I felt something is not right.

Any idea guys what might cause this issue?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps the tyre isn’t perfectly round? I had a defective tyre once and it resulted in a wobbly ride. Took it back o the tyre shop to have it replaced.

Nabill likes this.
  3. Nabill

Nabill New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While balancing tyres, i had all my tyres checked and they are all perfectly round. They aren't even a year old yet and less perhaps wasn't even driven 10k kms with them.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you're sure of that you're sure I have a gen 3 2013 right now with some horrible weird tire wear that I've not really seen before accepting vehicles that have been extremely abused like sliding 50 ft and then going down an embankment that kind of thing I've got literal wear on the tires that look like parts of the thread have been scrubbed off by the sanding machine that sands off tread depth for auto crossing yeah they really did that this is on a Gen 3 I just noticed this yesterday so I need to pull the front end apart take a look at what we got going on maybe get the angles just checked first and then rip into it something is off somewhere everything looks and seems straight in the cars never been wrecked I had some Corollas and other cars do this too they were front end parts worn on those

5. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Try this.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Check the tie-rods for excessive wear/play.

7. Nabill

Nabill New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if i can take things apart myself. Gotta take it to workshop for further investigation. Let's see what they say. Some suggested testing the car in a garage with rolling road (where they can check whether the car drives steady or not).

Booked an appointment with workshop tomorrow. Will post update here. It's driving me crazy.

Not sure this will help as i don't have any lights on for warning or didn't have my tire aligned recently or i don't really have any alignment issue so far.

#7 Nabill, Dec 13, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2022
  8. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just do it, it takes less than 3 minutes. This reset improved my steering, braking, and cornering response. You got nothing to lose.

fotomoto and Nabill like this.
  9. Nabill

Nabill New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright will give it a try

10. Nabill

Nabill New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: took my car today to the workshop and the replair guys couldn't find fault in their test drive. I insisted that there are wobbling but they think it's perfectly acceptable.

They checked shock absorbers and suspensions and no issues.

I tried to take explain that if they could take a few minutes test drive in a flat surface like underground parking they could perhaps find what I was talking about. The issue is, roads in Ireland pretty rough anyway so it's tricky to determine whether the car is wobbly because of road or car itself when the wobbly feeling is very subtle. It's subtle but it's there and I think my driving experience is not comfortable.

Now, I am thinking whether the tyre guys didn't check my tire properly or not. It is very much possible that one of tyre is not perfectly round and for some reason may be they didn't check my tyre properly (they are always in hurry and I feel they could take more time investigating).

Is there any way to check if my tyre is perfectly round at home or should I take my car to other tyre shop?

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually believe it or not I can rub my hand around a tire or both hands not real fast but not seriously slow either and I can feel the slight imperfections easily for me I also have a 2013 right now with the left front side getting what I would say pretty extreme wear on the inside edge and uneven wear like portions of the tire are losing their tread and portions are not like something's bouncing up and down or what have you possibly out of round or something pulling in the suspension way out of whack but it doesn't look it next week or so I'll get it over to the alignment rack and we'll have a look and see if we're in the green red whatever's going on The tires are shot so it doesn't matter we'll just run them till they are pure hell

Nabill likes this.
  12. Nabill

Nabill New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I need to do something similar. My tyre is relatively new (changed in 2021). As my car is a Japanese import- usually they sit in ship container for at least 6 months they arrive in Ireland. So it could be case that because it was probably sitting too long (as a flat may be) caused some issue. Now visually conditions looks okay. No sign of wear or tear. But I guess I will jack it up and put a marker and rotate to see if it's perfectly round.

Another observation: when I have a passenger/passengers I don't feel the wobbly feeling as much as I feel when I m driving the car myself. So car weight could be a thing too? Does it indicate it's more of a tire issue than anything else?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jack the car up until the tire is barely touching the ground. as you spin it, if it is out of round, the friction will change.

Nabill likes this.
  14. Nabill

Nabill New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, gonna try this soon

15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might help if you could explain more clearly what you mean by "wobbly."

Nabill and fotomoto like this.
  16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Indeed, I took wobbly to mean steering related but if it's more vibration related it could be several areas.

Nabill likes this.
  17. Nabill

Nabill New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Basically, when i drive the car -

=> The ride is not comfortable when I am driving alone and car doesn't have any load
    => Car feels like boat (bending down right leaving the right up and then vice-versa)
    => It equalizes slightly when I have more passengers and/more load on the car

In sum, wobbly means car not staying steady in flat surface and the car behaves like riding in an uneven bumpy road. Again, this is very subtle. Mechanics took it for a test drive and could not detect anything. I believe he didn't test in proper testing condition to reproduce the issue.

18. Nabill

Nabill New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not really a steering issue. My steering feels perfectly normal at any given speed. It's just the ride doesn't feel perfectly even when driving in a flat road.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    kinda sounds like suspension issues OR, you're not used to a prius?

Nabill likes this.
  20. Nabill

Nabill New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps I am not used to Prius. In fact, this is my first car. Never had car before (I have been driving for quite long time but never owned one). Bought this 2014 Prius with (ODO 117k Kilometer) few months ago from an importer who imported this car from Japan.