1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 3rd gen common issues before buying

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Haschwalt, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also: "The EGR valve can sludge up and the exhaust manifold costs a king’s ransom when it needs replacement on high-mileage models."

How to minimize issues with EGR valve (sludge), and the exhaust manifold? How much is this exhaust manifold replacement after installation ball park?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you buy a used 3rd gen, with any amount of miles, just resign yourself to cleaning the intake manifold and complete EGR system. Subsequent installation of an effective Oil Catch Can may reduce the rate it clogs up again.

Never heard of exhaust manifold needing replacement. I wonder if they meant Catalytic Converter??

Raytheeagle and Haschwalt like this.
  3. Lovec1990

Lovec1990 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    EGR valve just needs cleaning

Haschwalt likes this.
  4. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be. I'm guessing it has something to do with California emissions standards being ridiculously high so the catalytic converter which would cost say $100-200 in a regular car, would end up costing $500-1000 or something in these. I noticed this in my mom's 2003 Camry LE that was bought from California and unlike the Camrys from other states, it had some ultra low emissions requirement or the engine light would turn on and fail inspections...

douglasjre likes this.
  5. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How often do you check that (miles/time), and and how much would it cost for a mechanic/Toyota dealer to fix that?

Also: "Engine misfire upon acceleration; replace the intake manifold assembly." - '12-'15 Prius.

How do you inspect or prevent this from happening?

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think you’re seeing the same thing said a different way.

People who make money selling Toyota parts: “Replace the manifold.”
    People who don’t: “Clean it (and the rest of the EGR line) and put it back.”

So… the dealers want to do it one way, everyone else does it a different way.

Raytheeagle and Haschwalt like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the EGR (full system, not just the valve) I would suggest to start by checking just the EGR connector pipe, between EGR valve and intake manifold. This is relatively easy to access/remove. @NutzAboutBolts has a video on this, includes removal of the airbox for access (pinned at top of 3rd gen maintenance forum).

I would say check it every 50K miles, at the least, and be prepared to do a full EGR and Intake Manifold cleaning around 100K miles at the latest.

Again, there's @NutzAboutBolts videos, on both the Intake Manifold cleaning, and the full EGR cleaning. And Oil Catch Can install. The latter will vary, depending on the can you get, and there's lots of options for install.

Maybe someone's got a viable business model for this, but so far it seems most owners DIY this. Toyota dealerships: don't ask. Independent mechanics: maybe, but I doubt it would be worthwhile, for them or you. It's labour intensive, and labour is expensive. You can DIY it for next to nothing though.

It's really a design fail by Toyota, and so far their response is mostly head-in-the-sand. There is a Warranty Extension Program, but it requires severe symptoms, and/or trouble light. And you really don't want to let it go that far.

8. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this something you'd need a lift or jack stands for?

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's what I do, full car up on jackstands. In a pinch you could run the front up on ramps, then raise just the rear with a jack, and settle it onto safety stands.

Haschwalt likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    These are my preferred jack stand bearing points (not the scissor jack locations):

upload_2019-8-4_10-8-53.png

Haschwalt likes this.
  11. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Third Gen Prius Maintenance Schedule

Here is a good summary of the scheduled maintenance for the Gen3 Prius up to 120,000 miles. Worth noting: There are no indicator lights for low oil, low inverter coolant, low engine coolant, or low brake fluid. (The lights will only tell you when your engine has seized, inverter has overheated, engine has seized again, and brakes have stopped functioning.) Also, by the time the TPMS light comes on ("low tire fluid"?), you've already lost quite a bit of efficiency - and are now into the range where it might be getting unsafe. Pop your hood once in a while, and check ALL of 'em.

1) Oil changes and new filter every 10,000 miles (0W20 synthetic oil). The owner manual recommends checking the oil level every time you gas up.

2) Replace the air filter every 30,000 miles

3) Replace engine/inverter coolant at 100,000 miles

4) Replace spark plugs at 120,000 miles

5) Change brake fluids every 3 years or 36,000 miles (FWIW, while Toyota USA says nothing about brake fluid, Toyota Canada now says to replace it every 3 years or 48K kms, whichever comes first.)

6) Prius chat gurus recommend an ATF change at 30,000 miles then every 60,000 miles based on used ATF analysis. Per @JimboPalmer "This is Prius specific, but we are not changing it because it is transmission fluid, we are changing it because microscopic pieces of metals short out the windings of the Motor/Generators, burning off their insulation. We want or ATF to be a clean nonmetallic fluid to cool electric motors."

7) “There is a serpentine belt on the ten 2 that needs replacing around 100k, but it's cheap and easy.”

8) Have the brake calipers freed up and lubricated annually to postpone expensive brake repairs (Toyota USA says tri-annually or 30K miles, which seems about right.)

9) Inspect the brakes and lube the caliper pins as necessary, especially in salt country.

10) Check the coolant level in the reservoir every month or so, a good habit to get into. The factory Toyota coolant is considered long life and shouldn’t need a change for at least 5 years or 100,000 miles. Also a good idea to check the translucent brake fluid reservoir which is near the firewall on the passenger side: your left side with the hood open and facing the car. If you do need to add coolant, DO NOT use the green stuff you get at the store! you need special toyota coolant. it's red. There are two separate coolant reservoirs, one for the gas motor and one for the electric inverter. Due to the requirement to keep the inverter at a sane temperature, it needs liquid cooling. Kind of neat how Toyota could package two separate cooling systems into such a small space. Assuming the Pre Delivery Inspection was actually done by your dealer, all the fluids should be at the proper level. The coolant reservoirs are translucent and the coolant is a pinkish/reddish color, so the level is very apparent. The inverter coolant reservoir it near the firewall and is easiest to check, the engine reservoir is near the front of the hood but still pretty easy to check. The coolant is also good to -40 minimum, so you shouldn’t have to do anything extra to prepare for winter.

11) Goodyear recommends you have your wheels balanced every 5k miles (3,000 - 6,000 miles (5,000 km - 10,000 km)). However, if you're experiencing these symptoms, your tires may need balancing: Steering-wheel vibration at highway speeds. Seat or floorboard vibration at highway speeds. Your mechanic will typically recommend doing the wheel alignment every two-three years.

12) Check windshield fluid periodically.

POSSIBLE REPAIRS:

1) EGR Valve, EGR pipe, EGR circuit, intake manifold, & EGR cooler inspection every 50k-100k miles? If neglected, engine misfire upon acceleration; replace the intake manifold assembly ($1,000) or clean it (DIY might be tricky but doable).

“With the EGR (full system, not just the valve) I would suggest to start by checking just the EGR connector pipe, between EGR valve and intake manifold. This is relatively easy to access/remove. @NutzAboutBolts has a video on this, includes removal of the airbox for access (pinned at top of 3rd gen maintenance forum).

I would say check it every 50K miles, at the least, and be prepared to do a full EGR and Intake Manifold cleaning around 100K miles at the latest.

Again, there's @NutzAboutBolts videos, on both the Intake Manifold cleaning, and the full EGR cleaning. And Oil Catch Can install. The latter will vary, depending on the can you get, and there's lots of options for install.

2) Watch out for oil burning issues after ~75k-100k miles

3) Rodent proof the car (lol)

4) They eat rear brakes every 40k miles or less. Tires are 40k.

5) I have learned Prius' have weak wheel bearings since they are made to be so efficient apparently. Replaced a rear one after only 70k miles.

8) inverter, brake actuator, a/c compressor

9) Oil flap

Notes: Keep an eye on all maintenance, check the EGR every so many miles with menders technique and clean as necessary., add an occ (oil catch can) if you want, sock away a couple grande as you can and you're good to go.

Other:
    1. Number one on the hit parade: inspect/clean the EGR circuit
    2. Timing chain lasts 'forever' - maybe around 150-250k miles
    3. If you have over 100k miles, I would buy a water pump belt and store it with the spare tire. This way if it every breaks, at least you have the belt (and any mechanic can install it).
    4. Check the ENGINE air filter more often (only takes a sec) and clean replace as needed. same with cabin filter
    5. I think your best bet for the battery is to get a cracked version of Techstream so you can run a drain-down test. Techstream has the added benefit of showing you any DTC that has ever occurred apparently when you do the health report. Borrow a friend's Prius to try it out first so you know the software and drivers have been loaded properly and how to accomplish that test.
    6. Another option is to get an OBDII bluetooth adapter and run the Dr. Prius App which does a run down test that estimates % of battery life left. Doesn't do everything that Techstream does but is inexpensive and easy. I would use one or the other before buying a used Prius.
    7. The timing chain cover leak is more of a weepage than a leak. Not worth the time or expense to repair in its own: “On a gen 3 expect the timing cover to need a reseal job between 50-65k miles or more. It's a $1000 (maybe $1700+) job." – ANSWER: I think they mean the timing chain cover? If that's leaking copiously, yeah, and $1000 is low end; I think $1700 was mentioned a lot, and higher. You can check for yourself how it's doing: take off the front passenger side wheel, one or two fasteners on the plastic panel at the inside face of the wheel well, and flex it back, for a look at the bottom of the timing chain cover. If oil is leaking it will end up down there - #32
    8. Things like brake fluid (DOT 3), transmission fluid (Toyota branded WS) and antifreeze...are NOT lifetime fluids.

Attached Files:

#31 Haschwalt, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    douglasjre likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota USA says tri-annually or 30K miles, which seems about right.

Don't know about that. Maybe, if someone uninitiated with the rear brake caliper piston orientation requirement works on the brakes. I've been down that road... :oops: (see attached, for info on the piston orientation)

I think they mean the timing chain cover? If that's leaking copiously, yeah, and $1000 is low end; I think $1700 was mentioned a lot, and higher.

But, that might be a bit of a cash cow for dealerships. There's been more than one report here: dealerships spotting very minor oil leaks (or none?) and using scare tactics on customers.

You can check for yourself how it's doing: take off the front passenger side wheel, one or two fasteners on the plastic panel at the inside face of the wheel well, and flex it back, for a look at the bottom of the timeing chain cover. If oil is leaking it will end up down there.

upload_2019-8-4_10-21-21.png
    (This is ours, around 80K kms.)

Attached Files:

Haschwalt likes this.
  13. Lovec1990

Lovec1990 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All this issues are scaring me away from idea of having Gen 3 alternative if i cannot find nice Gen4

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius is one of the most reliable vehicles you can buy...hands down. But...there are a few things that effect the perception that it is not.

1. People think they don't need routine preventative maintenance. Things like brake fluid (DOT 3), transmission fluid (Toyota branded WS) and antifreeze...are NOT lifetime fluids. Also people get lazy, using Dealerships to "check" and change their oil/filter...not checking themselves while filling up...and don't get me started on going 10,000 miles before a change.

2. When it breaks it cost more to fix it ...or does it? Have you seen what the big 3 Dealerships charge to fix their vehicles...and it happens more often.

3. People think that because a few brag about getting 300,000 + miles doing nothing to their vehicle...means everyone will have the same experience...they will not.

4. There's a large percentage of car and light truck buyers that maintain the perpetual payment plan, doing the turn and burn on a new vehicle every 3-5 years...never doing anything...then the used buyer is stuck with their mess.

5. When was the last time any of you had your alignment checked or wheels balanced...or even checked your tire pressures personally. Wheel bearing are bad...again?

I know I will get push-back from some of the loyals in here, but I'm on my second Prius and buy nothing but Toyota because they are so reliable...thus a low T.C.O. In fact, I have even turned quite a few Chevy/Ford/Chrysler die-hards (including P/Us). Yes, Prius does better than most...but you still have to take care of them.

15. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will say that the maintenance on this car seems a lot more than I remember on the older Toyotas circa 2001-2003 and before. I don't remember there being reseal jobs for ~$1,000 jobs every 50,000-65,000+ miles, intake manifold assembly replacements every 100k miles another $1,000, etc. The '01 Camry I had more or less had scheduled lube, oil, filter service every 5000 miles or so, and then sometimes it was even neglected – and other than a worn out muffler, no problems until it was totaled at 150,000 miles after 17 years on the road.

Then again I have not maintained a 'modern car' - so this would be my first one - but do you folks believe that despite the increased maintenance to keep your cars purring like brand new after 100-200k miles, that the 3rd gen Prius is rock solid?

Personally, I'm ok with the car - the 12V battery in the back hatch is a dealbreaker for me for running appliances, and the car seems, RELATIVE to other car makes and models, to have less issues. IMO, the most important things are the engine, and transmission being durable and rock solid, and I think it's been said Toyota Prius' engine & planetary gear CVT transmission are dependable.

Lovec1990 likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Very, very few owners need a reseal I think.

The 3rd gen EGR system is a major stumble, but replacement of intake manifold is absolutely NOT necessary. Just cleaning. Which can be time consuming though. Sadly though, dealerships and Toyota are brain-dead about this.

Haschwalt likes this.
  17. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

"and don't get me started on going 10,000 miles before a change."

I think the Prius on synthetic oil is supposed to be changed every 10k miles.

18. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I'll be on the road a lot, & it seems to be a little tricky, I might just end up throwing the ~$1k every 100k miles or so to get it replaced by Toyota or some 3rd party mechanic that knows how to replace it since the DIY doesn't seem to something most mechanics will do. It's a nominal cost for driving 100k miles which for me would be every 10 years or so. I just want to keep the car forever, with minimal rust, etc. The versatility of this Prius for camping purposes cannot be beat by the newer gen, or other car companies.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    those items are not maintenance, they are repairs. maintenance for the prius is just oil and filters, tires and inspections for the first 100k. there likely isn't a gas powered vehicle out there with less maintenance.

Threej, Mendel Leisk and Haschwalt like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if the egr will take longer to clog with improved pistons and rings?

Haschwalt likes this.