1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 3rd gen common issues before buying

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Haschwalt, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's no reason to do that lol. Just clean it. Also, it is a walk in the park compared to the EGR. Watch @NutzAboutBolts video on that, in thread pinned at top of 3rd gen maintenance section.

2. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you suggesting this gen Prius isn't durable from a time standpoint? Or just not worth it from a financial standpoint.
    Or save in hotel/AirBnB costs OR rent in a high cost of living city for a few months :D . In the Bay or NYC as a software dev, average salary ranges from around $100k-130k. Most seasoned devs after 3-5 years are making around $130-150k in the Bay, and around $100-130k in NYC. A junior level dev after doing a 3 month bootcamp program or fresh CS graduate usually starts around $100k. Now in NYC that isn't a lot after rent which is like $1500-2k/month for something decent with reasonable commute. For the young, and ambitious, you can save an easy $20k-24k/year there, then the ability to travel to cool places like the Keys, Fl, Martha's Vineyard, and check them out for free. But I'm younger, and I realize older people are in a different situation & I only plan to live this lifestyle for a few months at best.

The thread I saw about the DIY EGR cleaning mentioned one of you needing some help from someone to point some things out – it seems like something that would be obvious if someone showed you but if you get stuck on your own you might stumble – no idea though haven't really studied the EGR cleaning vids yet. I don't really feel comfortable being under a 3,400 pound car - yeah I get jack stands are safe and all, but don't trust doing it myself. However, if it doesn't really require being under the car, and not a lot of dismantling of the parts around the engine bay, I could do it. The most repairs I've ever done was replacing the O2 sensor on my Camry, upgrading the stereo receiver, etc. When I drove the car up the Rhino Ramps the left front car wheel fall over it leaving only the right wheel on one Rhino Ramp and the left Rhino Ramp wedged between the engine cover and floor. That wasn't fun.

#62 Haschwalt, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How long do you want to own it?

What I’m getting at is that some of the bigger costs of ownership have more to do with time than usage. Expensive traction battery problems rarely emerge by the 10th year, but everyone shrugs and accepts it when it happens on a 15 year old car. That should give you an idea of the spectrum.

4. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably 15-30 years – the car is a keeper for me personally b/c of the 12V battery in the back for inverter use. Up to 1200W for use that can be used for a microwave, electric hot plate, iron, water boiler, etc via ready mode usage. Then DC portable cooler via 12V cigarette lighter (via a Dometic PLB40 lithium phosphate 2000 cycle 40Ah (500Wh) battery. Throw on a solar panel, so I guess until the day the car dies, or rusts up, or accident. It's a pretty future proof car – all I would add is CarPlay I guess, don't care for the dynamic radar cruise control, and other autonomous features like parallel parking, etc. and the 50 MPG on it will still beat most new gasoline cars ten years from now.

Of course by then, I'd like to have a used Land Cruiser (I love the 100 series the most but by then it'll be way too old), so maybe a 200 series LX570 ~2016, and a new Honda S2000 or Porsche 911. One can dream :D

#64 Haschwalt, Aug 4, 2019
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @m.wynn has done this exact egr circuit cleanse twice now;).

Have you checked with him yet:whistle:?

Definitely worth your time(y).

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you virtualize your experience. There isn’t a car to do this. But maybe there is a succession of cars, changed out every few years. It’ll be easier to manage that way.

Ed Beaty likes this.
  7. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At some point down the road, I would consider a way newer Prius - the 4th gen doesn't have a 12V battery for inverter use in the cabin unfortunately, otherwise that would be my pick - not to mention the '17-'18 models are still not at a good price for me personally. If the car gives me another 10-15 years, I'll be happy. That would make a '15 Prius about 19 years if it's 15 years from now. My '01 Camry was totaled about a year ago, so about 18 years of reliable worry free service, & still had plenty of years left. Mom's running a 2002 V6 Camry XLE with 150k miles, and no signs of stopping, and runs smoothly, but she'll probably get the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid (40 mpg!) in about 2-3 years when the prices fall a bit.

No idea about how many people actively driving first gen Priuses on the road - but 42 mpg is not bad for a car that was produced in the US 20 years ago.

#67 Haschwalt, Aug 4, 2019
  8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Car audio people run power cables from the 12v battery in engine all the way back to the trunk for amplifiers.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, don’t reject a whole generation of the car because of a moderately difficult wire run. You can pay a stereo/security shop guy to do that and it won’t be much. What I’m getting at is that you can spend thousands to keep That One Car going, or probably several thousand less by hopping to a new one every 4-5 years, and adapting along the way.

Haschwalt and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah true - the other factors are seats don't fold flat, no solar panel, and the '16 1st MY woes. The '17 is a little beyond my price point at ~$20-22k for top trim, vs. mint condition 40k miles '15 top trim for about $16k.

I get what you're saying. I guess when the engine or transmission becomes prohibitively expensive - say $5-8k+ I'll consider upgrading then. Priuses and most Toyotas seem to be pretty cheap to maintain over the long run if past experience and data suggests, so I hope to keep it for some time until it no longer becomes cost effective to maintain.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you want longevity, i would definitely go with 2015

Haschwalt likes this.
  12. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those have all been concerns, but some are really trivial, or easily solved, or no worse than on the average vehicle.

Haschwalt, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'prius 3rd gen common issues'

don't shoot the messenger :p

Haschwalt and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some are a lot easier than on standard vehicles;).

Transmissions can be particularly fiddly as they age and expensive to boot on a normal car(y).

Haschwalt likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That should be your new status instead of cookie crumbler ;).

Or would @Air_Boss get offended :whistle:?

CR94 and bisco like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if he does, i'll change mine to 'don't shoot the passenger'

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mrs. Bisco thanks you:love:.

bisco likes this.
  18. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    10k miles is the Toyota recommendation, but that doesn't mean you have to or are supposed to stick to it. Every 5k miles is the better bet if you want do best by your engine in the long run.

19. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read if you're using it for taxi service it's 5k miles, but I think a lot of experienced posters on here stick with 10k mile schedule. I think main thing is to check the oil dip stick to make sure it's above level and it should be fine.

20. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Willing to share. No pride of authorship.

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.