1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius a remarkably fragile car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Crsgardner, Apr 3, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the front ends of new Suburbans, Tahoes, Scion xBs and just about every vehicle on the road that doesn't use a true old school bumper I would think every car is going to be expensive to repair and could be considered fragile.

2. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Let's get some perspective here. No car is perfect, and the Prius is no exception (though IMO, it comes close...). It seems to me as if some people have problems with their Prius that they could just as well have with any other car, and somehow, it ends up getting ascribed to the Prius, as if only a Prius might exhibit this problem or that. Contrast: my last car was a G35 sedan. It was a nice car in many respects. It handled very well, was blindingly fast, and very fun to drive. It also sucked fuel like a thirsty elephant, ate a set of expensive tires every 15-20k miles, and had std OEM brake pads that were approximately the consistency and durability of a pencil eraser (but it could stop seemingly instantly). One thing that drove me crazy about the G was actually its hood. To save weight, it was made of thin aluminum, not the usual steel. It was freaky to open, as it was that light. The downside was that it was about as structurally sound as a painted coffee filter. One guy on a G forum described it as being as strong as a potato chip. Nevermind rocks, average-to-large bugs would dent the damn thing. Look, all cars, even great cars like the Prius, have an issue or two. And you can crunch a Prius bumper just the same way you can crunch a Suburban's. Owners should learn where a car is strong and where it has weaknesses. And then avoid the weaknesses. In the meantime, remember that even Lexus can only promise "the relentless pursuit of perfection", and no car has ever achieved it.