1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius accessories: like the 3M coating

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by DragonflyDM, Nov 16, 2011.

1. DragonflyDM

DragonflyDM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So this Prius v is my first new car ever. I want to keep it as pristine as possible for as long as possible and we have an issue in Pennsylvania of small pebbles dinging the hood. I know they sell a clear coat instead of the bras nowadays for the Prius, but the dealer was insistent that I shouldn’t pay for it because it ruins the paint job on the car and will cost more from that then touching up rock dings.

Also, there are a lot of accessories I see for the other Prius models and wonder if there are any accessories that you all feel are beneficial and others you feel are harmful for the car. A few looked like they would really add drag to the vehicle.

2. Jaralan

Jaralan New Member

I just added the 3M film for $200 that covers half the hood. Got this done by a body shop, not the dealer. I will keep you posted on results.

3. DragonflyDM

DragonflyDM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I think the dealer just doesn’t have any and that is why they were discouraging it. They were saying that they have NONE of the accessories: cargo nets, etc. etc.

Let me know if you feel it ruins the paint job or provides good protection.

4. tesser

tesser 1st time Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I drive on enough dirt roads that I bought the protection. I just got my car, so I haven't had it added yet. Time will tell. Drove it home yesterday in a snowstorm, fretting about the sand and salt already.

5. Fastronaut

Fastronaut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I plan to do this on my Prius v when it comes. I can tell you that I have done it on my Corvette and it has saved the paint job a number of times. The key is getting it done right AND having a quality film. Well worth having to protect the paint. Quality film does allow the paint to fade just as the rest of the vehicle by not blocking the UV. If it didn't, if you removed the film, you'd have a deep original color only on that spot. Contrary to popular belief, the film comes off quite easily, but not by accident.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the accessories forum... ;)