1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Accidents

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Carol, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Carol

Carol New Member

I just got in an accident this morning and my car was hit on the front drivers side. It took out my front bumper and two head lights it also dented my radiator. My question is "How bad does the impact have to be to damage the engine?" Mayby one of you know someone who's had an accident like mine. People keep telling me the engine is no good anymore because it's an electric car. :(

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine might be fine.. but front driver side has the thermal containers.. they might have to be replaced. As long as your engine is fine.. and your inverters, etc are fine.. the cost should be relatively low. There is no real way to tell unless the car was taken apart and a list was made of what's damaged.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    anything that's damaged will be replaced and you'll be fine.

people don't know jack about hybrids... leave it up to the pros at the toyota dealer.

good luck, hope you're all right after the accident.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    any pictures?

5. snowflake

snowflake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Carol,

From what you're saying it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the engine or front drivetrain.

I had a somewhat similar problem at low speed in my right front. Costly a bit as all Toyota parts are exepensive (a HID headlight replaced was about 1000 $ in all)--but inusred shouldn't be your problem.

I was positively impressed with how the Prius is built, as I saw progress on the repair. The engine is quite smartly bolted in console in its back above the drive train so minor things like what you describe do not affect it (unless a frontal impact was high enough to have deployed the airbags).

My insurance adjustor who is a former body shop manager for many years was impressed as well at the design.

Your adjustor will go through all of it with your body shop and service people.

My advise: pick a well trained knowledgeable (Toyota) body shop and you'll be fine.

Also, just mind the service on the replacement of your radiator and cooling system fill-up, and other affected parts needing replacement.

If they know you at the dealership and they see you care they may work it better, hopefully. Make certain the hybrid tech supervises/verifies everything.

Sorry to hear about the mishap, but if everybody is ok, remember they're just cars and can be fixed well...

Best,

S.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no greater chance that the ICE is damage in a hybrid than it is in any other car. The only reason there's a greater chance of the motor being damaged is b/c other cars don't have a motor.

As other's said, you've got some extensive damage and it needs to be checked out, sounds fairly certain that the thermos will be damaged and thus need replacement, but if the engine compartment looks fine it probably is fine.

Don't listen to fear mongering ignoramuses that don't know squat about hybrids.