1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius advertising goes too far? Prius flower murals in LA.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Aug 25, 2009.

1. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, thanks for the flowers anyway! I used to spend a lot of time on California freeways for work and anything to brighten up the landscape is appreciated. As for just being "marketing guys," I guess you plant suggestions that grow into buyer demand rather than seeds that sprout flowers. I like your job a lot better.

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here's some feedback... just don't make the Prius seem too cute, otherwise it becomes associated as a female car, and you have just eliminated 50% of your potential market.
    (Of course, making a sporty coupe version of the Prius would solve this :) )

I think you need to add some television commercials where the setting is a gas station. Show someone filling up an SUV, and then someone in a Prius pulls into the gas station, fills up, and drives away, and the person in the SUV is still standing there filling up, and then their total cost is $85. I think that commercial would have a much greater immediate impact and ability for the consumer to relate to it than the flower power, but the flower power is good too. This is just a suggestion only. :)

Update: now that I think about it, I'm sure there are a lot of kids that are pointing out the flower murals to their parents and saying "Mom, look at the flower mural!" I just hope they can tell it's a Prius.

3. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    RyBold:
    I think you need to add some television commercials where the setting is a gas station. Show someone filling up an SUV, and then someone in a Prius pulls into the gas station, fills up, and drives away, and the person in the SUV is still standing there filling up, and then their total cost is $85. I think that commercial would have a much greater immediate impact and ability for the consumer to relate to it than the flower power, but the flower power is good too. This is just a suggestion only. :)

This was one of my first "ah-ha" moments when I took my 2005 for it's first fill-up. I was so used to standing there forever (22 gal Ford SportTrac) that I was in shock and thought there was something wrong with the pump!!

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I -LOVE- the new TV commercials with the flower people. The first one was clever, the new ones are fascinating. I need to see them over and over just to see all that's happening. What a concept. A commercial you -want- to see again!

Flower murals are used a lot in B.C. where both the province and each community build them. Heck, even private companies are doing it, including Beer companies. I guess it's a good place to lie down after you get drunk. ;)

5. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are so right! I realized that I always look up to see how the people rearrange themselves and their colors to make the wind effect or the change of season. These are fun commercials.