1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius among compact cars flying off dealer lots

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Aegison, May 23, 2011.

1. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    An article in the Detroit Free Press:

Mark Phelan: New compact cars are flying off dealer lots, studies find | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

puts the Prius at number 3 (at 20 days) in terms of how fast they are being sold after taken into inventory by dealers.

Of course, the production handicap for the Prius is probably a major factor, because, given constant demand, less production for dealer inventory would result in lower days on the lot.

Still, the numbers are interesting -- especially for the other compacts such as the Hyundai Elantra, which spend an average of 12 days on dealer lots before sale. The worst record is held by the Toyota Matrix at 136 days, and second worst by the Mazda 3 at 99 days.

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looked last week at the Elantra with intent to seriously consider purchasing it. Instead went to the Sonata for a test drive because it was ultimately only $30/month more (lease) and yet much larger and more powerful. Elantra gets very good mileage, though. Current Elantra looks very nice and is quite a lot of car for the price, however.

3. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Sorry copy cat brand car is not my cup of tea.:(

4. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes interesting...I wonder if that will hold up as gas prices drift back down a little...
    I never considered my Prius a compact car :confused:

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is a copy cat brand?

6. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

I drove the elantra at the gm main street in motion event this weekend.

handles very nicely!! Interior is weird though. Dashboard looks like melted cat vomit.

of all the little cars I tried, I liked the handling of the elantra the best and the ride of the cruze the best.

7. UsedToLoveCars

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    hyundai's styling is totally unique. It looks good (at least the exterior)

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it's really not. I know a lot of people think it is, probably because of its shape -- not realizing that it has a higher roof than "standard" cars. And also, of course, because they can't mentally separate high mpg from small size.

But it's all good, because I get to say "It's bigger on the inside." :D Combine that with the color, and I have a Tardis.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As I remember my 2006 was maybe an inch taller than my Intrigue measured from the ground.

I'm not sure what else is "flying off the lot". What other cars have a discount program price above MSRP?

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only vehicles I've ever owned are multiple Nissans, one Toyota, one Mazda. I'm sure I've mocked Hyundai severely in the past. However, if I had to buy a compact now it would be an Elantra, hands-down. It looks great, has very good standard options (e.g. blue tooth, steer wheel controls, usb), and is rated at 29/40, which is better than everything except the Cruze Eco Manual. Also, Consumer Reports rated the Elantra their very best small sedan. Even the Sonata--which I feel looks better than any of its competition--was rated a close fourth by CR (1st 2nd are altimas and 3rd accord).

Reliability I didn't realize that in the past several years it's actually very good on the elantra and sonata.

I did find the 198 HP Sonata very brisk in speed and felt nice behind the wheel. Even their 274 turbo motor gets over 30 mpg on the hwy.

Anyway, I ended up getting a V6 altima last week because the incentivized price was literally impossible to give up. I would have gotten another Prius but with the prices they are now I'd never be able to live with myself, so instead of gas I went for fun :)

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Too bad you didn't get a NAH, since it's available in your state and Nissan usually puts huge incentives on them (from http://local.nissanusa.com/syracuse-area/altima-hybrid.html, I see a $4500 incentive right now). It's plenty quick enough and gets so much better combined mileage than a V6 Altima.

The big downside of the NAH is the HUGE loss of trunk volume.

12. UsedToLoveCars

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    CR gave the NAH only a 78/100, whereas the Altima V6 got a 93/100

CR complained about the NAH having an "abrupt transition between electric and gas modes"

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah yeah... I don't recall the reasons why they gave the NAH a lower score. As for the abrupt transitions, yes, it's true, at least on my mom's 07 NAH. It's not as refined as any of the Toyota/Lexus hybrids I've driven.

NAH did ok to well at Most fuel-efficient cars, Best & worst cars review, fuel-efficient vehicles and Consumer Reports - Fuel economy vs. performance.

14. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did look at one at Christmas but wasn't quite ready then. And on jan 1 I believe the $2500 tax credit disappeared. The mileage is better but I think the Altima and camry hybrids are disappointments, their highway mileage sucks badly (no better than a sonata--in fact, worse IIRC by a mpg or two). City is ok I guess. And yes the loss of trunk space is bordering on hilarious, you can barely fit a gallon of milk in one. Also no folding seats. After owning a Prius they'd just feel like such a compromise. But also there were no lease incentives on a hybrid that I was aware of. Even after all that I'm not sure why they don't sell better but I bet when people lift the trunk it turns a great many of them off. I'd be quite surprised really if you could fit two suitcases in one.

[​IMG]

non-hybrid:
    [​IMG]

In any case in the end it would likely have cost a touch more but gotten better gas for a wash give or take a few bucks here or there.

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Let's try a little to keep on topic with the title of the thread. There are entire subforums for other vehicles.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    . . . . and don't even get me started on how the Prius isn't a compact car anyway -

;)