1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius and a roof rack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bikechess, Jun 12, 2005.

1. bikechess

bikechess New Member

I am thinking of getting a Prius to replace our old beater. But, I absolutely must have a roof rack because otherwise I just don't have room to transport my bike (and wife and baby and ...). I am concerned about how much a Yakima or Thule roof rack will affect the MPG. I know that the aerodynamics on the Prius are critical.

SO, I was wondering if anyone had actually put a roof rack on one of generation 2 Prius's. And what did you find, both with and without equipment on top.

Thanks

2. altaskier

altaskier New Member

I have had both a ski box and a bike on but usually not for very long. On a 300 mile trip with ski box I don't think the mileage was down more than a few MPG, but I I don't really remember...

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know someone has put a Thule Rack. Can't remember the name.

You could, actually, fit a bike and 3 ppl in the Prius with the hatch closed. If you need space for other stuff, see if they can fit in the lower cargo compartment.

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

An alternative, with its own unknown mileage penalty, is a hitch rack on the back using a hitch like Coastal's. This is the approach I took, but I haven't bought the rack yet. Hitch went on in about 20 minutes.

5. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Hi all, i'm glad to join this forum and btw, happen to be about 10 days out from [hopefully] receiving a Prius on order.

Prius04, that was an hilarius story to which you linked and the poster is a truly great writer imo. (Maybe the moral of the story is if you are goin to the everglades to Kayak; rent a kayak upon arrival)?

But as for BikeChess's inquiry... I'd anticipate you might wish the rack to just be part of your characteristic profile and hence won't be taking it off when not used? If that's the case, I'd guess a 4-5 mpg hit w/o bike, 7-8 hit with? (9-10 hit w/the wife?) oops

Seriously, sounds like a relative win-win to me still, assuming you are going 'rack' either way.

6. bikechess

bikechess New Member

The link to the guy that put the kayaks on his Prius was indeed funny.

I guess that what I am most interested in is what will be the mpg lost with just the roofrack and a bike tray (no bike). I am not that concerned with what the fuel economy will be when the bikes are on the roof - as this will be a relatively small amount of the miles put on the car. It will mostly be used by my wife to do 2 mile trips to daycare, work, the store, etc...

HYACK's estimations are close to what I would expect, but I am wondering if anyone has actually done the "experiment" and done comparable trips with and without a rack on the roof.

7. prius04

prius04 New Member

Thanks for the nice comment on the writer. She's my daughter. She convinced me to buy my Prius.

And I agree about her being a good writer.