1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius and HAM radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SolanaDude, Jan 3, 2010.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite the impressive job of grounding! I see you live in Wisconsin.I did, but I hate cold, I left!:eek:
    The only help I would offer, is in pic 8, wrap the braid with some heatshrink, or tape. Once winter hits, and salt water hits the braid, it will start to corrode like crazy! Pic 14, grab a big crimp lug, again slip some shrink on the braid and crimp a lug on it, then bolt it up.
    Have you taken your car in for service yet? What did the techs, and or service manager say, if anything?

Good Job, enjoy HF! :D

1 person likes this.
  2. larrypcmc

larrypcmc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for your kind help. I hope I dont have any problems with my car. I think all that I did wont harm anything that keeps my car running. I hope nothing happens for 200000 miles. In the meantime I will have my fun on HF

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for posting the photos. What shielding did you use for the traction battery?

4. larrypcmc

larrypcmc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I removed copper foil from a large cable years ago. So I already had it handy to put in the Prius .It is like a copper foil with holes in it . It looks like a fine screen.
    I think aluminum screen or aluminum foil would work just as well. That would be much easier to find.
    I still get ignition and injector noise but I now can drive down the highway and contact midcars on 7.258 mhz at noon and hear them over the s5 noise. Larry K9ZSQ

5. OilRigPilot

OilRigPilot New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The fellow that had a mount on the hitch... with the FT100... hows the noise and the setup ??? anyone else with the same setup? I am going to install the same and if anyone has some feedback... please advise.

Thanks.
    Robert

6. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This has helped me so much to get my 2006 Prius grounded for HF Ham radio! Thank you so much! This is awsome!!!
    (y)

7. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Beautiful installation! I want to install a 2 meter antenna on my 2007 Prius. Preferably like your mounting is nice. Right now I'm using a laired magna-mount. I wish I can do something better. like as good as my 86 pickup's 10-12 meter. a quick access, quick release with 5 foot antenna. I was able to get this very close to 1:2 swr. A lucky setup.

SAM_4687.JPG SAM_4692.JPG