1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius and Long Steep Uphill Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tds, Sep 26, 2007.

1. tds

tds New Member

Does anyone has daily experience of a long steep uphill drive with a Prius? We're considering moving to a house on a hill, at 2000 feet. It's about 2.5 miles from the foot of the hill, at ~500 feet, to the house on a winding road. My calculation shows that the average grade of the road is >10%. There's certainly portion of the road with even higher grade. The average speed I can comfortably drive on that road is probably <20mph.

After the two trips we drove there, I smelt some burning smell. I'm just afraid whether our Prius can handle this on a daily basis.

Any thought on this is welcome.

2. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dawning Sky @ Sep 26 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]518008[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think you will have any trouble unless it snows there, wherever SJ (San Jose?) is. You might even get better gas mileage that way, first 5-minutes of drive when engine is least efficient will be all downhill! Going home, your battery charge will probably be down some when you park overnight. None of that is any concern though, your Prius will know how to handle just about anything. It's the smartest car I've ever seen.

3. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dawning Sky @ Sep 26 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]518008[/snapback]</div>
    That is a steep hill. I'm sorry I don't have any constructive feedback for you. I don't have mountain grades where I live only hills and fire ant mounds.

4. lgamber1

lgamber1 New Member

I don't live on a steep hill, but I do make the commute from San Jose to Santa Cruz at least 3 times a week over highway 17, and as I'm sure you know, that drive is rather mountainous (I'm assuming you live in San Jose, too). My new prius seems to be doing just fine so far!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dawning Sky @ Sep 26 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]518008[/snapback]</div>

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've driven some pretty long and steep grades in the mountains without any problems, though not on a daily basis. 1500 feet shouldn't be an issue, but I'd have that burning smell checked out. You're sure it was the car, and not the locals? :rolleyes:

6. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have smelled a burning smell after climbing up the local ski mountain road but haven't seen any ill-effects.

8. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 26 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]518079[/snapback]</div>
    The car should not smell. Something has overheated--first guess is the transmission; second guess is high voltage cable insulation. Really doubt it's the cable. The problem with your trip up the moutain is the low speed of <20mph. The Prius has no variable gearing--the engine operates in high gear all the time and therefore, it cannot drive the wheels at low speed. That's why the car always starts off in the electric mode. I do not what speed it stops providing power to the wheels. About 3-4 years ago, there was an article in the
    Consumer Union magazine where they drove a prius slowly around the base of a moutain to drain the propulsion battery, and then went slowly (don't know what speed) up the moutain and the car stalled. Other people on this forum have read the same article. I bet if you stayed above 30mph, there would be no smell. The smell is a serious problem that should not be ignored. Assuming it is from over-heated transmission fluid, drain about an ounce out and take to a Toyota dealer and see if they can tell anything from the color. Or call several Toyota dealers and see what they say. If no info, then send it to an oil analysis lab. There are threads about oil analysis. Do not put regular transmission fluid in the prius--buy it only from a Toyota dealer; it's special fluid for a special transmission ( it's a plantenary gear--and that's all i'm going to say about it; there are threads about the transmission, also called the power split device (OK term), eCVT (BAD term). If you find out what the smell is, please report on this forum. There is no problem with the prius going up mountains at highway speeds where the engine can provide the power.

9. tds

tds New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lianimal @ Sep 26 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]518054[/snapback]</div>
    We've been to Santa Cruz quite a few time in our Prius. We didn't have any problems. Highway 17 is probably not as steep as 10% grade, maybe 7%. And I'm not concerned when driving mountain highways at 50-70mph. But this road is a narrow winding road with many switchbacks. I cannot drive fast on it. At low speed on steep road, Prius needs a lot of torque. Under normal conditions, the traction motor usually provides that required additional torque. What I'm worried about is after the battery drains and the motor doesn't run, whether the ICE can provide enough torque to make it going. Good thing is that it doesn't usually snow here at the elevation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 26 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]518079[/snapback]</div>
    Did you try to find out where the smell came from? I opened the hood and smelled around. It seemed to me the smell came from the front wheels, not within the hood or the rear wheels.

10. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Dawning Sky,

All the electricity in a Prius Battery comes from the engine turning a generator. How fast you can climb a hill indefinately depends on the grade, and auxiliary loads on the battery (A/C, headlights, etc). The Prius has a indicator which shows when the electricy is draining from the battery. Have you tried to rent a Prius and driven your hill? My guess is 20 mph is not going to be fast enough to require battery power. The engine should just run at a much higher RPM than other cars. Which is actually a good thing (more coolant flow).

The question is if the length of your hill will cause any thermal problems for the generator, motor and inverter at that slow a speed.

11. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dawning Sky @ Sep 26 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]518188[/snapback]</div>
    No problem, the ICE will run to generate electricity to power the motor and get you up the hill.
    If you noticed the smell after coming back down the hill, it was probably the brakes. Sounds like a good time to use "B".

12. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The smell was probably just the new electronics running very warm providing current for the climb. I wouldn't worry.

Going home, you'll use up most of the battery's charge, which is good. In the morning, you'll replenish much of it by braking down the hill.

13. tds

tds New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Sep 26 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]518234[/snapback]</div>
    I thought the generator cannot be generating the electricity while at the same time run as a motor to provide torque. Because physically it's one device.

The smell was smelled during the last stretch of the road, not during the downhill, and I did use "B". :)

14. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dawning Sky @ Sep 26 2007, 08:48 PM) [snapback]518254[/snapback]</div>
    There are 2 motor/generators in the car. Either one of them can generate electricity and send power to the other for propulsion.

The engine can run at any RPM chosen by the computer. Then the car uses the motor/generator to direct some of the power to the wheels. Any excess power can be taken up by the battery, or shunted over to the other motor if needed.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtmhog @ Sep 26 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]518138[/snapback]</div>
    Actually I was ripping it up the mountain. Speeds were between 60-90km/h on the straights and 30km/h around bends.. of course I slowed down to 30km/h on the straights once I hit the "summit" and towards the carpark cause there was snow on the ground by then.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dawning Sky @ Sep 26 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]518188[/snapback]</div>
    No. My grille was blocked (upper one only). That could be the cause, I don't know. Temperatures were about 5°C-8°C near the base, 0°C mid-mountain and -3 to -5°C near the top plus windchill.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Sep 26 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]518234[/snapback]</div>
    It was on the way up. It was coming through the vents.

Here's my thread

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...l=burning+smell

16. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have much experience with mountains or steep grades (especially here in Texas) but when I was in Utah I drove up through the mountains going to Logan, UT on Highway 91. I'm not sure how steep the hill you're planning to be on would be in comparison to this but it was fairly steep for a long distance and the Prius handled it without any trouble at all. I also drove down through the steep grades in Moab, UT coming back down to Texas and once again, no problems.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My own car emits a very slight hot-coolant smell sometimes on a long
    uphill burn. There's probably a very minor leak somewhere that lets
    a few drops out as the system pressurizes. Lots of cars do this, in
    fact. The coolant level in the reserve tank or radiator doesn't
    drop, it's that little, but as soon as that stuff vaporizes in free
    air it makes a fairly strong smell from very little source fluid.
    _H*

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Sep 26 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]518066[/snapback]</div>
    The OP already has a Prius and states in the original post that he has twice driven it up the hill. He is considering buying the house, not the Prius.

Tom

19. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 27 2007, 07:39 AM) [snapback]518409[/snapback]</div>
    Doh!

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Sep 27 2007, 10:39 AM) [snapback]518454[/snapback]</div>
    I do this with some regularity. Another of my favorites is to skip down and post an answer without reading all of the posts in between, only to discover later that someone else posted exactly the same thing. :rolleyes:

Tom