1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius and others $ave the world Skunkworks-let's venture cap!

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by buggeroffbigliar24, May 28, 2022.

1. buggeroffbigliar24

buggeroffbigliar24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    just got my kid into a 2018 Prius Prime Advanced. There are a few products like these (
    ) for example, which makes me wonder if anyone out there is electronically knowledgeable to know if such a converter would "fool" the stock gen 1 charger included with car? Could it do damage? Work against the limits of the Toyota gen cord/connectors over time or god forbid, wear something on the car out? My initial idea is to "cut the wire" the same way little 'phone portable chargers' restore the phones, not just jump start (but both could be in one device.....or am I dreaming?!!!?)?

NO promises, just looking for suggestion as to whether this kind of device could be worth it for cutting charge times down to a gen2 equiv., so as not to buy a 220v outdoor plug/connectors/electrician box/breaker and labor time, which is a hell of a lot more than this box's cost avg? IS there a hidden risk, if the product itself is solid. I haven't scoured the market on these devices, but I'm pretty sure there is no one selling them for this application-yet?!!?

BONUS: is there a way, theoretically, if you can convert 120 to 220/240, that a separate, sine wave DC to AC converter might fit into the equation (and a large heavy but "portable") box, so as to at least 'jump charge' with some equivalent of a AAA battery jump starter (the kind that Triple A road service jumps a dead car with, that is!)?

My guess is if there was a way to hold enough storage in a device like that (backpack? wheels?), wouldn't it help in situations where people don't have a ready power outlet (e.g lots of folks protest elec. cars are no good b/c they'd have to hang wires across the street). Why can't a set of high output 12volt batteries be fitted into a semi-portable chassis that people could put in the hatch or back seat and just let it bump up the car, either at 120 or 220/240, with the device type in first para/link?

Makes me think some enterpreneur could make a bundle, and probably will soon if not out there already!

Anyone wanna joint venture a project design? Anything to kick Musk Eoil-n's posterior~lol!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

are you aware of charge mode?

trying to charge the prime battery with other batteries can be done, but it is very expensive, and a lot of hassle.
    there is a thread here somewhere from someone who spent seven large and a lot of time, because they live in an apartment.