1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius and tall people

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Chuckanut, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Chuckanut

Chuckanut New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks, I am new to this forum and have been thinking of a Prius. But, I am tall about 6'2" feet and I need a car that is comfortable to sit in on long trips. I can fit in most cars, but after 45 minuts my legs begin to cramp. My current car is a Camry which is one of the few I can drive for many hours without getting leg cramps. What do you tall drivers think of the Prius on long trips.

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, hard to say. I am 6'. But I don't ride for hours long like you are askin. I would say that it isn't cramped. Unlike most sedans where you have to sit with your legs out forward, you sit more like a normal seat. the leg room is reasonable.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you thinking of the Prius v wagon or the regular Prius liftback or the upcoming Prius c?

You've posted in the area for the Prius v wagon.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How long are your trips? I'm 6'2" tall, long legs and my 2011 regular Prius is fine. I haven't taken any 100+ mile trips yet, but I should be fine on those.

The Prius v would be a little bit more kind to taller drivers because of its increased room between the seat, pedals and steering wheel.

5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm 6'1" with a 2010 IV. I don't take many long trips, but when I have, I didn't feel any more or less comfortable than in other cars I've owned.

You'll have to make "pit stops" every now and then anyway and stretch your legs...;)

6. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am 6' 2" driving a standard gen III Prius, and sitting in the car for 10 hours a day. I have no issues with comfort. In fact, doing the same hours in a larger Ford vehicle, I used to really feel it getting out, possibly due to the fact that the Ford's seat was pretty worn out, but have no leg or back issues with the Prius.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At 6' 3" and normal torso/leg length I fit in the GenII and GenIII Prius just fine. Every vehicle can become uncomfortable on very long trips but I' ve never had a problem in this car.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    6' 3 and the Prius V is fine. Actually more headroom and shoulder room than a standard Prius and has a driver lumbar adjustment in addition to seat height, front/back adjust and seat back adjust. A Power Seat might be better. You don't get the arm chair feel of a Tundra but it as good as Camrys and other standard full size cars. Also have an 08 Prius which is ok and better than an Accord we used to have.

9. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I recently invited a 6 foot 7 inches tall new friend for a quick test drive in my Prius v. I was trying to get him to focus on ease of getting in and out, but all I got was "it's fine / easy." No details forthcoming unfortunately. He lowered the seat all the way, moved it back all the way (I think), and moved the steering wheele in all the way. Then declared that he was very comfortable and ready to roll. He thought the ride was ok. I tried to impress him with the power mode and his aggressive acceleration, but he was familiar with corvette performance so he was not as impressed with the pressed/"eased" into your seat sensation as I am. He was impressed with the good MPG stats for a vehicle he felt comfortable in. Now if I can get him to come on a long trip we can test longer term comfort for the super tall.

bostonbruins8703 likes this.
  10. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm a leggy 6'1 and it's comfortable. One of our sales folks who went on the test drive had to be at least 6'7 and was squashed in the back. However he was fine in the front. I can't comment on the long drives other than suggest exercises like you'd do on a plane or keep the pickle juice handy. :). W

11. jpenn36

jpenn36 Bought 2/7/12 105,000 mi

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm 6'0" and have no problem but if you need more room the priuschat shop has this option:

priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/12/products_id/146

12. Chuckanut

Chuckanut New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking of the Prius V Wagon. I have read that there is a tall persons extension that replaces the normal seat tracks and adds 4 inches of leg room in the front seat. The rear seat must be tough when that happens.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's all great and dandy to extend your seat. Just make sure can extend your steering wheel too unless you happen to be good at telepathic steering.

14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good point. With the seat of my Vee all the way back the steering wheel needs to be all the way extended. Anymore seat rearward adjustment would be too much of a reach for the steering wheel.

15. Donrim

Donrim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm 6'5" with longer legs and I find the Prius v wagon very comfortable for leg room and I have driven long distances. Raising the seat all the way up actually makes the seating position more comfortable to me.

Head room is excellent even with the seat raised up all the way. I put the seat all the way back and the steering wheel extended all the way. There is no problem reaching the wheel. Your height is equal to your arm span from fingertip to fingertip so tall people have longer reach.

16. El_Spectre

El_Spectre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm 6'5" with most of my height in the torso. There's plenty of room in the v, I have the seats all the way back and down. Headroom is never a problem, I clear the roof by a couple of inches.

The only problematic thing - this is likely because of the long torso thing - is that the center console/armrest is a little low. After driving for a couple of hundred miles, I really miss having somewhere to comfortably put my right arm. For very long drives, I'm probably going to end up putting a pad or book or something to "raise" the console 2", for comfort.

Also, getting in and out isn't bad at all, as the doors are big and open nice and wide.

17. Jeff72k

Jeff72k New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'm curious if any tall people have issue with the Prius V rear hatchback when opened? I'm 5'11" and I noticed when I test drove the Prius V that when standing straight behind the vehicle with the rear hatch open, my head will barely hit the opened hatchback door. I wonder if this is not really a problem and if you just get used to leaning over all the time when getting things in and out of the rear of the vehicle?

Any 5'11" or taller input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

18. El_Spectre

El_Spectre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It hasn't been a problem, I think I've (lightly) bumped my head one since October, and that was probably because my old vehicle was at least 18 inches higher, and muscle memory takes time to change.

The cargo area itself doesn't seem low either. It's a pretty good small vehicle for big people.

19. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For me, the Prius v is a back-killer! I'm 6-1 and 230 lbs - and just traded in my beloved 2007 Prius, which was great for even cross-country trips from Florida to Colorado.
    But the Prius v? Kills my back. First day we had it we drove 200 miles, and by day's end I could barely move. Worked with the salesman, who said "lots of people have to turn around the headrest." So I did. That helped a lot!
    But the top of the seat back still dug into my shoulders on longer trips. Am trying several different kinds of lumbar support cushions, but most of them are too thick. A blow-up one is coming, and I'm hoping. . .
    I've tried every conceivable seat setting, and NOTHING makes the durned car comfortable for more than a dozen miles or so.
    The dealer is about ready to shift us to a hybrid Camry, but I'm hesitant. . .still, if I can't drive it long-distance. . . .
    LarryR

20. duhren

duhren Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am 6' 3" and 205 pounds and over 60. We just returned from a trip to Florida from Columbus, Ohio in our 2006 Gen II Prius. I drove the entire trip home in 12 hours each day. I felt fine. By the way, we averaged 49.5 mpg for the entire trip. I am not as comfortable in the passenger side since the foot room is somewhat limited for my size 14 shoes. I did take my shoes off while driving being a passenger and felt much more comfortable sitting. I am looking at trading in my 2006 Prius for a 2010 Gen III Model Four version. I forgot to sit in the passenger side to see if the foot room was improved. The drivers side had seat adjustments and lumbar support but had a lousy seat height adjustment that you had to rachet up and ratchet down to get it to move. The salesperson called it a pivot front seat adjustment system. I was hoping for an electric adjustment that was smooth and steady. That was the only thing I did not like about the car.