1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius and the car wash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by James1964, Sep 16, 2018.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but here on Prius chat we like to spend weeks on end discussing the most unlikely scenario that we redundantly and repeatedly offer a "solution" for. The real question of course: is a Prius in neutral being pushed through a car wash going to confuse the ECU and throw a code? I say no, but it's an urban legend that's long endured and if you can think of a more pointless conversation to have on PriusChat I encourage you to do so. From the looks of this thread, you'll have many people very excited to participate.

dubit likes this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it makes you feel better?
    Most of my adult life, I obsessively washed, waxed and maintained my vehicles. And these were small pick-ups and or mid-size cars. At my best and most dedicated I'd hardly go 4-6 weeks without waxing my vehicle, especially in the spring, summer and fall.
    NOW?
    I've got a Honda Fit, which is a sub-compact. It's so small, that waxing it is about 1/4th the commitment I use to make with larger vehicles. I think about 1/2 the Honda Fit, is about equal to about just the hood on an Old Accord I use to own.
    But I've gotten to the point where I really just don't wax anymore. I use all the peripheral tricks I've built up over the years. Which does include drive thru car washes and reliance on spray on instant waxes.
    It's pretty embarrassing that I just don't feel I have the energy to do the job to the standards I use to reach.
    I still keep my vehicle on the better side of the common parking lot curve as far as looks. BUT...I know it's not as good as it should be, or use to be.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Laura G.

Laura G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hold the break with your left foot and floor the gas... while the car is in neutral? Just want to be crystal clear. Thanks.

bisco likes this.
  4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No, the car is in Drive. The HV Battery does not charge in Neutral. That is the reason push-through car washes can be problematic for the Prius. They require that the car be left in Neutral. The HV Battery can become depleted if it is left in Neutral for too long, particularly if the HVAC system is active.

bisco, Laura G. and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    bisco likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since your in drive stop applying the gas before you let up off of the brake after you see a blue bar because if you keep your foot on the gas and then let go of the brake the car will take off so dont do this with a car in front of you.
    Don’t do this in traffic if your not used to doing it.

Also the time it takes for it to go from purple or worse no color bars at all to blue is directly related to the battery’s health. It should go from purple to one blue pretty fast like one minute, if it takes forever or not able to see one blue your hybrid battery is very tired.

#26 edthefox5, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    davecook89t likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our dealership has a car wash where the car drives in, stops, and the washing mechanism is a large "portal" that does the moving. I would use those, or a handwash place, or DIY handwash. The latter's pretty much all I ever do.

davecook89t likes this.