1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius and the Newborn Baby

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ArcticPrius, Mar 4, 2009.

1. ArcticPrius

ArcticPrius Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So we have a '09 Touring Prius. My wife is due early next month and I am trying (read: freaking out) to make sure the car is ready for the baby. This is our first child so I am new to all this baby stuff. I think I kind of understand the LATCH system but want to know from others experiences any lessons I can learn the easy way. What do I need to do to ensure my baby is safe and have maximum storage capacity for future baby trips? Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rear facing car seat. It's nice to have one of those mirrors that mount on the head-rest so you can look in the rear-view mirror and see the baby's reflection in the mirror on the head-rest. But it's not essential.

If you want, call a local hospital and ask if they're doing any car-seat installs or if they help with those...many do. That way they can show you how to level it, and make sure it's secure and pat you on the knee for reassurance!

Other than that it's really not a big deal.

3. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I saw this thread title, I was imagining the first baby born in a Prius. Word to the wise from my son & his wife whose 3rd child was born in a Starbucks parking lot in a blizzard: be sure you go the hospital early enough!

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't forget to read the instructions that come with the rear facing seat. Unfortunately, the baby won't come with instructions.

Tom

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The red cross here help with car seat installs.
    They even hire baby capsules.

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To translate: Yes, in the USA most hospitals have an infant car seat rental program. Usually very, very cheap. It's nice for those that don't want to buy in to the latest fashion statement for baby! :p

7. lbligh

lbligh Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    As you probably know, newborns and small infants need to face the rear in the back seat, preferably in the middle. Most families get a car seat/stroller "system" where you have a big padded basket with a handle, a plastic base that installs in the car, and a stroller base. You either install the plastic base in the back seat yourself, or get someone to do it for you (around here they do this at the police station or the fire station, where some staffers have taken a week-long course on car seat installation).

The padded basket snaps into the base to become a rear-facing car seat. It's good to practice a few times without the baby. Once you can do it, you'll see the beauty of the "system": Inside the house you strap the baby into the basket, carry the basket to the car, snap the basket into the base, and get on your way. Later in life when you can't use the basket any more, you will miss the ease and portability!

When you get back home, it's so nice to bring the baby inside in the basket. If you're lucky, the baby is asleep. Put the basket on the floor in the living room and let the baby sleep there. They like being all scrunched up. Really. Consider the living quarters they are used to before they are born.

The same basket snaps into a stroller, and my biggest advice to you is, ALWAYS put the basket onto the stroller. So often I see people lugging that basket around, risking back and shoulder and arm injury, when it only takes 30 seconds to set up the stroller. (It's tempting to think, "Why bother, I'm just going in for a second," but unless there's a long flight of steps, it's a bad idea. Trust me.) While the baby is using the basket, the stroller is configured so the baby is facing the person doing the pushing. Later in life the toddler uses the same stroller, but without the basket, facing forward.

If you have more than one car, it is well worth while acquiring a second plastic base and having it installed in the second car. You only need one basket, but life is much easier if there is a base in each car.

Have fun and sleep while you can!

8. ArcticPrius

ArcticPrius Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for your wisdom and advice. I will take the car seat to be inspected by others and will make sure we get to the hospital in time. Thanks!