1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius as a power source?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MrK, Jul 25, 2006.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If any Prius drivers are looking for a good deal on a sine wave inverter, it looks to me that eBay #300111599234 is low-hanging fruit. I cannot personally vouch for the seller, but the feedback is not bad.

I have also separately found that eBay is a good source for ANL fuses and fuseholders, if you're interested in 'belts and suspenders' system protection. In case I have not said so here before, the reason I am using an (apparently too small) 60 amp ANL in front of a 1000 watt inverter is that the only spec sheets I have seen for ANL fuses show that they melt very slowly. No matter what, I want that to be the first part that fails in the chain.

I also praise all the PriUPS people, because multi-kilowatts is the big leagues. However, if you have even about a kilowatt of 110 volts AC available from the clean quiet Prius, you will likely find it to be very useful.

2. MrK

MrK New Member

Another PriUPS goes alive!!

Thirteen months ago I initiated this thread, simply to find out whether I could attach an inverter to my 2006 Prius. The answer was, "Yes", and I've been there; done that.

I was also introduced to the research of Richard Factor and the tapping of the HV battery. To make a long, long story short, I acquired two UPSs: an MGE 10 va/8K watt unit, and last week, a Tripp Lite SU6000 UPS and isolation transformer (6,000 va/4,200 watts). I'm still tinkering with the MGE, but the Tripp Lite was new, and it can Cold Start. Saturday, I plugged it in to the Prius, and IT WORKED!

I was able to simutaneously run 1,000 watts of light, a 1,400 watt space heater, a 1/3 hp grinder, and a radial arm saw. (What can I say: these were things that were close at hand in my basement.) I question the readout of the UPS; it said I was using 36% of its capacity. I figured I was using at least 70%. That's a question for the Tripp Lite engineers.

When I have the time, I hope to provide information to Mr. Factor to add to his website.

Anybody need an MGE?

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you have load on the power tools?
    Very low draw without load.

4. MrK

MrK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 27 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]502860[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, no load. I was just happy that they started, as the radial arm saw would not start off of my 1,500 watt inverter. Maybe it has something to do with the type of motor and the fact that the inverter has a modified sine wave, whereas the UPS produces a pure sine wave.

5. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please Mrk, details.
    I so want to do this, to power my office during power failures.

It was one of the reasons I bought a Prius, a commercial generator costs a lot to own & operate to deliver the power a Prius can easily do.

A SKU # for the Tripp Lite would help. I'd like to buy a new unit.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrK @ Aug 28 2007, 07:24 AM) [snapback]503165[/snapback]</div>
    What is the power rating on the radial arm saw (aka., volts, amps)?

The modified sine wave worked with our cheap, 800W gas furnace motor but it only has to run a fan. I would expect the radial saw to be significantly more.

Also, I could only draw 1 kW from the Prius 12VDC supply, NHW11 model. This puts a lot of things right at the 'hairy edge.' If you go the 12VDC inverter approach, TEST before the power outage!!

Bob Wilson

7. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

8. crichman

crichman Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Derail @ Aug 28 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]503458[/snapback]</div>
    One example of doing that: http://priups.com/others/charlie/index.html

Of course, there is the issue of night-time ice storms. (Do you really want to be parked at the office 24x7?)

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MrK -- where'd you do your tap?
    _H*

10. MrK

MrK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Aug 29 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]504083[/snapback]</div>
    Hobbit, I tapped into the HV battery at the relay terminals. Please follow the link provided by crichman for a picture of the relays. I used 10 gauge wire and heavier lugs, as Charlie was building a 3000vA/2700 watt system. Mine is 6000vA/4200 watts. Richard Factor's PriUPS website goes into much detail and was my guiding light on this project.

Bob Wilson, my radial arm saw says it's 120 volts/12.3 amps. Again, I didn't apply a load, but it wouldn't start off my inverter. I concur with your research that shows the maximum wattage that can be drawn from the 12 volt system is about 1,000 watts. When I tried to start that saw off the 12 volt system, it just sat there and made noise.

Mark D, the reason I went with Tripp Lite was that I could find the necessary components at super bargain prices. (I've been watching ebay and other sites for months.) I agree that any computer server system should be protected by a UPS, so regardless of the system you get, you should have one. The costs I've seen for a complete, new system are much higher than the cost of a generator of the same capacity, but the generator doesn't provide the immediate backup, and the uniformity of the power from an economical generator isn't necessarily consistent. Still, if you already have a UPS backup, it would be much cheaper to connect a generator to the UPS, and the UPS would clean up the inconsistent power it provides.

That having been said, my Tripp Lite UPS was the SU6000RT3UPM, and the related transformer is SU6000XFMRRT3U. I didn't buy a battery pack, but to use it primarily as a server backup UPS on in any cacity where you'll want immediate backup power, I think you'll need it. I also acquired a backplate for the transformer with ten 120v outlets and three 240v outlets, so I can plug in rather than hard wire. You can daisy-chain your Prius into the battery pack for those extended power outages. By the way, Tripp Lite also has a 5,000vA/3500 watt unit as well as larger units. The larger units still operate on 240vdc, and they there are 4U units in 5000 and 6000 vA that operate on 192vdc. I'm told by a Tripp Lite engineer that the 235 vdc output of the Prius would not overload the 192 volt units.

I'll conclude by saying that my purpose was not to truly have uniterruptible power for my home, but rather to have the benefits of available power in sufficient quantiity that would enable me to selectively run nearly any appliance in the house, especially the furnaces (which ran on the 1,000 watt inverter, too), fridge, freezer, and my wife's television without the noise and maintenance of a free-standing generator. Although my testing isn't complete, initial results indicate I've met my goals.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Promoting an unknown ebay seller again! Sine wave inverter item number 270163104253 is now bid well below its value. Potential buyers please consult earlier discussions for how to install w/o putting your Prius at risk. Hint, you are not going to be able to utilize 1500 watts. 1000 on a good day.

12. sje333

sje333 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone I know hardwired a 1500/3000 Watt inverter ($100 from Sam's Club) to his Prius (Positive to the battery, negative to the frame). The inverter was able to power an electric lawnmower indefinitely (attached via a 100' 12ga extension cord and a 25' 16ga extension cord), drawing about 500 Watts under normal load. Worked like a charm! I describe it at the bottom of this review: http://www.epinions.com/content_152361733764

In case anyone here isn't aware, gasoline-powered lawn equipment produce huge amounts of pollution. Spillage with gasoline-powered lawn equipment is also a huge source of pollution. I recall Jim Stack saying that driving the 2004 prius 100k miles produced as much VOC pollution as allowing one pint of gasoline to evaporate or something to that effect. Think of all of the gasoline that evaporates every time someone opens a gasoline can or gasoline tank. Electric mowers are the way to go if you can't eliminate the grass entirely.

13. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ethereal @ May 14 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]442032[/snapback]</div>
    Is it true that all I would need is a deep cycle marine battery with an inverter attached, and then connect the battery to the 12v battery in my 2006 Prius?

I"m really not good at electrical stuff so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I would like to stress a distinction here. PriUPS is hardwired directly to the high voltage battery, requires relatively expensive external invrter, and can produce about 5 kilowatts.

An outboard inverter connected to the Prius' 12 volt system is limited to about 1 kilowatt. Some folks have discussed adding another 12 volt battery to increase the peak power, or to obtain 110 volts ac with the Prius off. However this is not necessary if your goal is 1 kilowatt or less.

For the latter, a modified sine wave (MSW) inverter is the cheapest available (about $100), but there are some switching power supplies that will not run on MSW. Also most types of electrical motors are less efficient, and heat up, when using MSW. Resistive loads (coffepot toaster small heater etc) do fine on MSW.

For $300-600 (or more!) one can buy a pure sine wave 1 kilowatt inverter. It would present no limitations to equipment use, other than the 1 kw.

Leaving the Prius in 'ready mode' with a 1 kw load will exhaust a full fuel tank in 7-10 days according to a few estimates. I don't think this has been attempted with the ~5 kw PriUPS.

Both systems have some electrical safety issues, so study up and ask specific questions if electrons are not your thing.

15. MrK

MrK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Nov 12 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]538516[/snapback]</div>
    Ecojosh, if the 1,000 watt limitation and the modified sine wave aren't obsticles to your needs, then you can use the Vector or similar inverter. Although not totally necessary, I put the deep cycle battery in the circuit for the surge capacity that it might provide, as trying to draw more than 1,000 watts from the 12-volt system might very well blow an expensive fuse...and leave you with a Prius that won't start until that fuse is replaced.

As mentioned before in this thread, I ran a heavy wire from the positive cable, and I connected another heavy wire directly to ground. I connect these wires to one set of the terminals on my deep cycle battery, and I connect the inverter to the other set of terminals. I do this to circumvent the Prius' mini-battery. All I can say is, "it works".

Getting to the HV battery is much more of a chore, but I've done that, too. Earlier I described what I did; what equipment I used; and how it worked. Our power grid in the Midwest is generally very reliable, so I haven't finished running the wire from the garage to the basement where I keep my UPS. But I did buy the wire (10 gauge) last week, so I'm making progress. One of these days, I'll bore through the wall and get my system ready for the next power outage.

16. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrK @ Nov 12 2007, 07:15 PM) [snapback]538684[/snapback]</div>

To all you people who think this is a good idea: I suggest that you go to the following link http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/index.php and read information written by people who REALLY know what they are talking about. To most of us we don't know the difference between a volt or an ampere much less the relationship between the two. We don't know how modified sine wave inverters can (and do) destroy electonic componets instantly, that true sine wave inverter are expensive and not available at Wall Mart, and on and on.

It just seems crazy to modify a ~20k car for the sole purpose of keeping our lights on. The Prius hv battery is not big enough to power all the loads of the overgrown modern house, including furnace, fridge freezer tv etc. First rule is turn off what you don't need! For $1000+- you can buy a Honda eu3000 generator that WILL run most houses. Very fuel effecient, very quiet, very reliable. It's a no brainer. (As to effeciency, we run our entire house on 150 watts of solar panel, 850 amp/hours of batteries and a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter! 'tis a function of being careful.

Just one mans opinionated opinion.

Icarus

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(icarus @ Nov 12 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]538692[/snapback]</div>
    Crazy is having a vehicle with an 18 kW MG1 generator and no way to plug-in the house. The GM Silverado, Ford Escape and Toyota Estima all have at least a 1.5 kW AC power option. My $17k car should do more than leave us stranded in the cold and dark in a power outage and such power is useful when fishing or camping.

I agree that the modified sine wave needs more attention to load testing. Not everything does well on it but it does provide an efficient source of power. But the folks who sell inverters are very open about the types of loads to use and avoid.

Bob Wilson

18. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Nov 14 2007, 03:16 AM) [snapback]539354[/snapback]</div>
    I agree it would be a nice option, and indeed all the components are there, but the idea of an amatur rewiring a sophiticated electronic system makes no sense. If there were true "plug and play systems", then I would be more enamoured of the idea, but I am not going to risk my warrantee with some backyard design however good it may be.

I don't know what the GM, or the Ford or even the Toyota system is, but I suspect that it is connected to the starting battery with a 1500 modified sine wave inverter. I say once again,, you aint gonna power your house with such an item. TV, yes, radio, yes, Drill, for a while. Well pump, furnace blower, fridge, water heater? No way!

The Prius HV battery and Inverter are big enough to do such a thing, but are not designed from the ground up to do so. The voltages, and charge and output rates are designed for the high amperage draw of a motor load.

As I say, most people have no clue what a volt or amp or watt is, and especially don't really understand batteries, charging, discharging etc. People have it in thier minds that batteries are things you pour electrcity into, and then pour it out when you need it. Fact is it is much more complcated than that.

Icarus

19. MrK

MrK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(icarus @ Nov 14 2007, 12:53 PM) [snapback]539520[/snapback]</div>
    I'm able to run my pulse gas furnace and blower off my inverter (MSW). I'm sure some furnaces/blowers cannot tolerate MSW, but you may be surprised at how many will. Maybe you are thinking of an electric furnace?

I don't think anyone has gone out to buy a Prius with the sole intent of using it as a power backup, but, if you've got a Prius, why not use its unique ability to supply auxillary power?

As Richard Factor explained, what is the difference between sitting in traffic with the Prius air conditioner drawing down the battery (the ICE starts up to rechage the battery--which run down again--so it gets recharged again, --and the cycle continues) or drawing off HV power for some other function? The ICE will come on to recharge the HV battery in both cases. (Yes, I know, the vehicle is designed for one purpose but not the other. That's a given, but really, the battery doesn't know that you aren't using the A/C., headlights, radio, etc. and its power is consummed.)

I've been HV power capable since September. Other than testing for 5 minutes, I've used the HV battery zero times since then (no need--reliable grid power), but I can connect it, if need be. With my setup, I can pull 4,200 watts of pure sine wave power out of Prius until the tank goes dry. I can run my freezer, refigerator, two gas furnaces, and, oh yes, my wife's television, all at the same time. Quiet? No one even knows when the ICE kicks in to recharge unless they are standing beside the car.

I'm sure that the Honda generator (MSRP about $1,995) you've mentioned is a high quality item; most Honda products are. But I've already got a Prius, and I spent less than $800 for my setup, so I think I'm way ahead.

20. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrK @ Nov 14 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]539557[/snapback]</div>
    THree points: I am mostly addressing the idea of using an inverter on the starting battery cirucit. Clearly you know and understand why that is a terrible idea to run your house off of.

Second: congrats on on having the knowledge and skills to build your system. As I said before, using the hv battery makes great sense technicaly. My point is for the average layman it is still a crazy idea.

Third: As to cost benefit. A Good honda sine wave generator can be had for 2k as stated. But it can also be had for way less. I have a eu1000 bought for $225. I just bought a 3kw Mitsubishi for $50 in perfect running order. I still contend that the idea of risking your entire warrentee for the sake of convience is nuts. When my Prius has fallen apart to the point where I am keeping it together with bailing wire and tape, I'll consider messing about with it's wiring. Until then, I'm letting the pros work on it, and I won't mess with it. (Plus my wife would kill me!)

Lastly: Except in certain parts of the country weather related grid outages are fairly rare and (generaly) short lived. I am not going to go into the subject of the grid crashing as result of any number of factors that come under "end of the world" scenario's as that is a completly different discussion. Suffice to say that if the grid goes down due to that problem, your local gas station is going to be out of fuel soon enough anyway, so all the Prius mods aren't going to keep you warm (or cool) for very long.

I think in the name of emergancy perparedness every one should have a way to keep critical loads running. TV's and Air conditioners are not critical. Frieges, furnaces, well pumps and freezers are. What we have done in our neighborhood, (where we have frequent weather outages) is have 1 10kw generator, hooked to several houses with proper transfer swithes, keeping the critical loads going throughout the neighborhood. I nthe case of the last real blizzard we took in the non-connected neighbors until they could return home.

Enough of this soap box.

Icarus