1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius as an Emergency Generator or P2H

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mrbigh, Feb 8, 2013.

1. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Well, the hardware is available since some time now but here it's a reminder for the more adventurous. You only need few hundreds ($$) and an small 10mm ratchet to access the mechanical of the vehicle and you will be set with an Emergency Power Generator.
    2 and 3 KW units are available, more than enough as an EMERGENCY AC supply.
    The possibilities and usage are endless and the equipment is an snap to connect and disconnect.
    There is an informational equipment page and may be others more relevant like this as a general information.
    I hope that there will be many adopters with the P2H (Prius to Home) equipment concept and/or Emergency Power Generators based on the Toyota line of Hybrid vehicles and other ones too.
    Certainly I'm ready to fight any power outage by this ongoing Snow storm that is hitting the North Easter parts of the USA.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    makes me wish i didn't have a propane generator.:p

3. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Also here it is an article about the same equipment in autoblogGreen

4. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    See the link in my signature. 4000 watts from my Prius, I rarely use my 12 kw propane generator anymore during outages.

5. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Thank you for your contribution. If we spread the word to the 4 winds, many more people will benefit if the need arises.
    I kept an eye on your thread since a while.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazing how little power was lost in the nor'easter.

7. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Thanks G*D!!!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ditto! thank you Lord.:)

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, the lights in the house didn't even flicker this time, but I still played it safe and filled up the gas tank.

10. mtbiker53

mtbiker53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The south shore,Plymouth,and the Cape took the hit,I've never seen so many bucket trucks,only 3 days for me,i feel lucky.
    Tues. night.....still 16,000 out,lots of homes ruined,some schools closed for the rest of the week.

11. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Sorry to hear about that...........

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a small percentage compared to past storms, but if you're unlucky enough to be among them, it's too many. my brother in law is in plymouth and came up to stay with us until his power came on sunday night. can't convince him to buy a generator. or a prius!:D

13. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Hey, why would he consider to buy a gen set or a Prius having you near by...........

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hot shower and a warm meal, i should be renting out rooms!:p

15. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been looking but can find no real answer.... Anybody think it would be detrimental in the long run to do this? They say idling a normal car for an extensively long time is bad for the ICE, would the Prius be effected as well, keeping it going for maybe days?

It's an awesome idea and I may do it regardless if necessary, just curious.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's the beauty of hsd, it doesn't idle. it comes on when the battery drops to a certain level and shuts off when recharged. and it adjusts rpm's as necessary depending on state of charge. no more wear and tear than normal driving. it was almost built to be a generator.

17. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Converdant doesn't seem to have any technical specifications on their web site. This sounds like an awesome product and something I've been hoping to do for a while. Does anyone have any resources regarding the inverter used, number and type of 120V/240V recepticles, etc?

18. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Lets consider this approach as an "Emergency Power Generator" not as a permanent solution.
    If you'r considering this for a long term, it is not a viable solution, there are other options.
    Given said this, I run this set-up for 3 1/2 days with out any adverse condition I noticed.
    This can be used as a temporary power for camping, family park picnics, real power outage emergencies, first time responder emergency( I cover this point), etc

19. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With a 1500 watt load I found mine turned on for 2 1/2 minutes and then was off for 4 1/2. Overall the battery cycling over a day was about the same as a normal rush hour commute. The number of hours you may use it in "emergency generator mode" will be statistically insignificant over the lifetime of the car.

Gas consumption was about the same as a 2000-3000 watt Honda inverter-generator, or about 0.13 gallons per hour on average. This is with no change to our normal living habits during the outage - everyone watching tv, playing on computers with lights on at night, and base loads overnight and during the day while at work. This doesn't include several large loads which I could run with load management from the Prius, but choose not to. I run them from my large generator.

There is ONE thing that I think would make the Prius more efficient as a generator. It needs to charge the battery back up to its normal "full" range instead of the minimum it will do while sitting still. The later is necessary for better mpgs, but a fuller battery would mean fewer engine start cycles - less wear and less energy used to start it which is better for generator efficiency.

20. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I use a "SMA Sunny Boy 700-U" for transportable power.
    This device require a source of 120VAC/60Hz to lock it and operate, so I'm using a 12VDC to 120 VAC pure sinewave inverter @300Watts output. Total cost with interconnects was under $470.00 with new equipment.
    Converdant products would be the other smart choice of reliable power conversion.