1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius as Emergency Backup Generator

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by rjparker, Aug 4, 2014.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While I know the use of the Prius as a home Backup Power Generator has been discussed in the Gen II forums, the following is a new article in a building science forum. While a traditional standalone gas generator is less expensive, this approach provides quiet and guaranteed functional backup with good gas since it's sipping your Prii gasoline.

Running Our House on Prius Power | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

Here is a link to the inverter brand used (note that several power capacities are available up to 5kw or 20 amps of 240vac sine wave power)

Plug-Out Kits

From the above "plug-out" inverter manufacturer:

"The Plug-Out Island and Prius combination operate at about 8kwh per gallon almost regardless of power use level. Most Mechanical generators operate at about 4 up to 6kwh per gallon. And depending on your cost of gasoline [assume $4/gal] Plug-Out Priuses generate electricity at about 50cents/kwh. This very high level of fuel efficiency is just one of many reasons the Plug-Out Prius stands above store bought generators."

#1 rjparker, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting write up, but that's some serious money for 100w of power, he might as well have gone with the 12v inverter.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They have several models, the article is talking about the 3000 to 5000 watt units (3kw to 5kw) that run off the high voltage battery. Those sizes will run all of your refrigerators, gas or oil furnaces, normal lights and fans. It does it with less gas than an equivalent generator and makes very little noise doing it. While a natural gas or propane generator would be cheaper to run for long periods, this is an interesting solution for short term hurricane or flood outages.

Plug-Out Kits

#3 rjparker, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Early Prius owner Richard Factor was doing this almost ten years ago:
    The Correct Answer

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. i'm just saying, he's got the big unit. maybe he's an owner? probably not because he would have demonstrated more usage. he could get by with their smallest unit. they make a nice array of sizes and have dropped their prices as well question is, will toy put one in the gen IV?

6. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at doing the same thing myself with my Highlander and it would be nice if there were a main backup generator thread where all the different input voltages from each of the different traction batteries could be matched to reasonably available/priced inverter or UPS options. It's such a great setup and should be one of the benefits of owning a hybrid vehicle IMHO.