1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius as generator, worked as advertised

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chogan2, Jun 5, 2008.

1. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The power went out yesterday afternoon and I finally got to use the Prius as a generator. I just want to report that it works exactly as has been described on this board many times.

I hooked up an 80 amp fuse and a 1500W inverter to the 12V battery. Couldn't have been easier, as the hole in the fuse mounting fit over the threaded post on the battery. All I had to do was thread on a nut over it and it was ready to go. Ran a heavy-duty extension cord out under the rear hatch, turned the car on as if to drive it, locked the car (using the physical key for the driver's door), and let it run all night. The car cycled the engine on whenever the traction battery hit two bars. Produced more than enough electricity to run the fridge and a light. No problem handling the surge current when the fridge compressor kicked in. No problems period.

This AM my wife chatted with the neighbors. One had to run a noisy generator all night to keep a sump pump going, one got a flooded basement. They were impressed when she told them that we used the Prius as a generator. I have a traditional gasoline-fired 2KW generator for my business, but I can't see where I'd ever want to use that again now that I have a Prius.

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the update. (You're in NoVA, correct? I saw the news reports of the severe weather up there yesterday.)

This idea has had some appeal to me for some time, but the various descriptions from those who have done it intimidate this non-technical soul. I did two years of vocational electronics in high school some 30<mumbles> years ago, but about all I remember is Ohm's law and some naughty mnemonic to remember resistor color codes. Something about bad boys and young girls. ;)

Anyway, you make it sound pretty easy. Is it really that simple, and what set of instructions did you find most helpful?

My fiancee especially is hosed when the power goes out -- or not hosed, depending on how you look at it. She's on a well, so she loses her water along with her power. She's on a tight budget and she's been reluctant to buy a generator.

I'm not sure 1500W would handle both the fridge and the well pump together, but then they don't have to run simultaneously. I figure we would keep the fridge on most of the time, swapping it out with the well pump when we need water.

3. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I didn't really follow any one set of instructions. Most of the instructions that I've seen were from people who were setting up something far more permanent and bulletproof than I had in mind.

Basically, you just clamp the inverter to the battery posts. That's it. The inverter's cables look just like jumper cables. Lift the cover off the battery compartment, pry the red plastic cover off the positive post of the battery, and clamp the inverter cables onto the battery. Then turn the car on as you would to drive it (ready mode, start with foot on brake).

The only complication is limiting the current draw. I had to put a fuse in line because I bought too big an inverter. You shouldn't draw more than about 1000 watts continuously out of the battery.

If you bought a 1000 watt fuse-protected inverter, I don't think you'd have to fuss with adding a fuse in-line. I think you could just clamp it to the battery and use it.

(That's maybe a little too simple, for two reasons. Mainly, fuses blow with certain characteristics, and they have a range of tolerances. The fuse in the inverter is there to protect the inverter, it's not clear it'll be exactly right for protecting the Prius. The second is that inverters are not 100% efficient, so an inverter putting out 1000 watts might be drawing 1100 off the battery. But if you only draw power in the 1000 watt range momentarily anyway -- at motor startup -- and never try to draw significantly more than 1000 watts, neither of these should be an issue.)

So my instruction boil down to buy the right size inverter and clamp it to the battery posts, red-to-red, black-to-black, just like jumper cables.

The only other complication is which type of inverter. Pure sine wave inverters are expensive but some electronics require them. Modified sine wave inverters are cheaper but won't run some things. As it turns out, one of the appliances I thought I might need to run (a furnace) would not run off a modified sine wave inverter so I shelled out for a true sine wave inverter.

And you have to know the surge (start-up) and steady state draw of your motors, or at least get a good guess on that.

Finally, if I've said anything stupid regarding the fuse requirements, I'm hoping somebody will chime in here and set me straight. The fact that the fuse in the Prius is a 120 and I'm limiting the sustained current draw to 80 gives me some comfort, but I admit that identifying the need for a fast-versus-slow blow fuse was beyond me. I put in an 80 amp automobile fusible link and left it at that. My feeling is that batteries are pretty rugged, the dc-to-dc converter has to be pretty rugged by design, so I'm guessing the issue is heat buildup from sustained current draw, not frying some small delicate solid-state component with a momentary current spike. I've seen other instructions where a much more sophisticated device was used, but I'm not informed enough to know whether that's necessary or overkill. If you're worried about it, buy a smaller inverter and/or install a lower amperage fuse.

4. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Totally cool...

I GOTS ta look into this angle for my Calaveras property.

Thanks for the data, glad you made out OK.

5. Prius driver

Prius driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This looks interesting. Can you give me some details on the brand and cost of the inverter? Any pics?

Thanks

6. adept

adept the prius novice

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wish this would support a 3000watt draw... My wife and I are starting to live full-time in our RV, and we don't want to have to leave our camping spot (for a spot with hookups) if we start having generator problems and the weather hits 100+ degrees this summer. My wife would probably just tough it out (she's ex-army), but we have a 4month old baby that we're, you know, "babying".

I guess this would only help on the 2nd day of generator problems because I would probably have the prius at my job when the gen stopped running. The truck we use to tow our RV is somewhat efficient (22+mpg for a 9000lb truck), but diesel costs more than gas now, and I often have to commute a long way. Right now 80mi/day. That means the prius is not at our campsite if I'm working.

It's very good to know we can leave the prius on and locked and have it maintain its' battery charge. Sometimes we need a 12v boost, and running a 3000watt generator to charge my trailer batteries is very inefficient. At least our generator is extremely efficient for its' size. 4.9horsepower inverter generator with a 90+% efficiency inverter, I just wish it was more reliable. Think I'll be buying a honda EU gen this summer if I can find the money.

priusdriver:
    like the original poster said, there is a huge difference in price between the modified sine wave and true sine wave inverters. I use a modified sine wave inverter because all my stuff runs on it just fine. I have a xantrex 1750 modified sine wave and I believe we paid around $180 at costco a couple years ago for it. There are SOME AC motors that will not run on a modified sine wave, and the other notable exception is that laser printers will not work on modified sine wave.

The reason I didn't buy an inverter large enough to power my trailer AC unit (3000watt) is because there's no 12v source available to me that would be able to provide that much power for long. If our diesel truck had a modified alternator (and possibly a high-idle switch depending on the alternator) maybe it could handle that, but that is at least a $700 modification and I will be putting that money towards a better generator that would be more fuel efficient than a diesel truck idling.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i would also keep the hood open. any time i use my prius for extended electrical use. i tend to prop the hood open so the engine and hybrid system can keep cool.. otherwise the electronic fans kick in and you lose more energy! plus... with the very few inverter problems i've heard.. i would like to keep it protected where none of the systems get hot enough to kick on the cooling fans.

;)

8. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Cool. I'm also planning to build some sort of 12v "Priups".

This is one of the reasons I decided the Prius could save me money versus buying a generator and another car. Also means I don't have a generator to maintain, as long as the Prius is maintained and gassed up.

I'd like to get 3000 watts, for motor startups and burst usage at least. Normally this would been I'd have to hookup to the 200v hybrid battery. I want to maintain my warranty however, so I'll stick with the 12v system.

I'm planning to build a 120v "power pack" from a big lead-acid deep discharge marine battery and a modified sine wave 3000w inverter, perhaps from Xantrex. This will be somewhat portable and will be usable standalone.

If there is a power failure and I require house backup, I'll move my power pack near the Prius and hook it up to the Prius 12v battery to recharge the marine battery and power the inverter. I'm thinking I'll be OK with 1000w continuous, and the marine battery and inverter will be good for 3000-4000w bursts.

If modified sine wave doesn't work with my furnace motor, I'm thinking of replacing it with a high efficiency DC motor. I think I'll save money on a DC motor based on electricity cost too, since I let it run for house ventilation all the time.

Another thought is to have a smaller pure sine wave inverter in parallel to handle equipment needing cleaner power.

As for leaving the hood open, I think I'd prefer to close mine, especially if rain or snow is expected. I don't think the Prius electric fans take much power. I might consider leaving the hood open in very hot weather however, but we get less of that here in Canada.

9. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I use this one:
    Aims 1000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter

Which, now that I look at it, is a 1000 watt model, not 1500 as I thought. I must have been thinking straight when I bought it a couple of years ago, because 1000W is as much as you want to run off the Prius 12v. My recollection is that it was at that time the cheapest pure sine inverter of that size I could find. But it's $360. Shoot, I think you may even have to buy the cables separately, but I don't even see the clamp-type cables on that site now.

Whereas you can get a 1000W modified sine wave inverter for just over $100 on that same site. Plus the pure sine inverter weighs 24 lbs versus 7 for the modified sine wave. But if you need it you need it -- some equipment won't run at all on modified sine wave, and if so, if you want to run it, you have to pay for the more expensive inverter.

10. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Unless this a shallow well, it most likely uses a 240V pump motor which is a whole different beast where inverters are concerned. If it is 240V you may be able to use a step up transformer to convert 120V from the inverter to 240V. I've never tried it but I think transformers will work with a modified sine wave input. In any case, 1000W is only 1.3 horsepower which is a pretty small well pump motor even assuming no losses.

If memory serves me, I needed at least a 3500W generator when I ran my well pump during the camping phase. It's a 285' deep well.

11. adept

adept the prius novice

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can get a noisy (okay, they're actually quieter than the average contractor gen) 3500w generator at harbor freight for $250, which has built-in 240v output. Unless it's a really small well pump the prius is probably not quite suited for this situation, I agree.

EDIT: as an example, the property we've been living on for the last year has a well pump also. The well pump draws so much power that we turn its' switch off before starting up the 30KW diesel generator which we start up when the power goes out. The well pump is not actually for our drinking water, it pumps geothermally heated water up into several ponds used for scuba diving. At least the pumping cost is much much less than heating water would cost with the millions of gallons of water we have.

12. MrK(2)

MrK(2) Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  14. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know the pump is 120V; it plugs into a standard AC outlet in the pump house. What I don't know is its power rating. I can find out easily enough, and would do so anyway before embarking on the Prius generator setup.

I think we saw that generator a couple of weeks ago when we were in Harbor Freight. I'd like something with more fuel capacity and more easily moved between our houses as needed -- hence the Prius idea.

15. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hurricane season is here!
    A $40 inverter for emergency use would seem to be a no-brainer. Especially in coastal areas.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    How efficient is the Prius ICE for making inverted electricity, as opposed to a generater designed to deliver 2, 3, or 5K watts? Our generater is only 25hp running on propane ... and a little more hp on gas. But it seems like the efficiency would be poor, from a car. The Prius ICE is most efficient at about 50mph, using most of its (what) 90ish HP.

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For such an infrequent application equipment cost trumps efficiency. But someone running power tools or lawn equipment remotely probably should get a generator instead.

Non-Prius-specific question: how do you arrange a ground/earth connection for a generator or inverter when operating devices which have a grounding plug?

18. MrK(2)

MrK(2) Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My apologies to Bob Wilson for lifting the data he provided, but I cannot find the link to it. Bob writes, ...

"My fuel burn rate at 1kW is also 0.25 gal/hr., or 4kW hr/gal. measured at 30-40F, worst case. This is also the original specification in the Northern Tool catalog for the "eu2000" at half load, 1kW, temperature unknown. So here is a survey of Honda generator specifications including the 1kW Prius hack:
    1. 6.1kW hr/gal@5000W, 5.4hrs - EX5500K2A
    2. 5.9kW hr/gal@2800W, 7.2hrs - EU3000isA
    3. 5.8kW hr/gal@1600W, 4hrs - EU2000iA
    4. 5.7kW hr/gal@900W, 3.8hrs - EU1000iA2
    5. 5.6kW hr/gal@4000W, 7hrs - EX4500SXK1A
    6. 5.4kW hr/gal@400W, 15hrs - EU2000iA
    7. 4.4kW hr/gal@2500W, 7.9hrs - EX5500K2A
    8. 4.2kW hr/gal@2000W, 10.5hrs - EX4500SXK1A
    9. 4.1kW hr/gal@700W, 20hrs - EU3000isA
    10. 4.0kW hr/gal@1000W, 44hrs - Prius inverter
    11. 3.1kW hr/gal@225W, 8.3hrs - EU1000iA2"
    Great work, Bob.

The wild card in this is that the Prius only needs to run when sufficient power is taken out of the HV battery, while a genset is running (albeit, at a reduced fuel consumption level), regardless of power draw. It's hard to draw an accurate correlation to a real-world situation.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    76hp max from ICE. Atkinson cycle ICE is pretty efficient (around 35%) producing at above 15hp (very low 20% load).

When the HV battery is low, Prius charge the battery at around 21hp (I have observed around 1,300 RPM). At that rate, ICE would be around 37% efficient.

There is also HV battery charge/discharge loss. If the HV pack is 70% efficient then the total effiency is 26%.

I have no idea how efficient those Honda dedicated generators are.

20. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I saw that handled nicely in one of the sets of instructions I found. If those instructions were right (no guarantee), then all the grounds are tied together inside the inverter. All you need to do is tie them to your household ground. So, take a short piece of Romex or an extension cord plus two male grounded plugs, wire them up, cut off the hot and neutral prongs (leaving only the ground). Plug that into a grounded household outlet and your inverter (or an extension cord that's plugged into your inverter) and you've now tied all the grounds on the generator system to the household ground. Looked about right to me.

I have three more things to say on this topic.

One, it sure makes your gas mileage look lousy to use your Prius as a generator for a day. Every time I look at my mileage now it irks me, even though I know it's because I used it as a generator. You guys with lifetime mileage stats, this will screw that up.

Two, I used a fusible link instead of a fuse, and a little research shows that's the slowest-blowing type of fuse. Not smart. I'm tossing that and putting a 60 amp fuse in as several of the early innovators did.

Three, with me it wasn't the cost of the generator or the efficiency, it was mostly the annoyance of having yet one more small gas engine to have to look after, so I could use it once in a blue moon. Putting the inverter back on the shelf beats having to run the system dry/fog the carburetor for storage, and still have the thing stink up wherever its stored with the residual evaporating gasoline. Then wondering if it'll start the next time it's needed. Same goes for my corded electric mower and electric chainsaw. They're not manly tools but they work every time I need them, and maintenance consists of putting them back in the garage when I'm done.