1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius as learner car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Nakamoto, Nov 11, 2013.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur!
    I actually saw an adult, properly licensed person the other day admit that they could not operate a car with a clutch, had extreme difficulty with parallel parking and insist that they were a "good driver" because they hadn't been in an accident.

Only in America....:rolleyes:

I was going to bring this point up earlier in the post but I didn't want to start the typical Mac versus PC arguments that always erupt when you point out any little deficiency with Priuses.

Carefully check your state's (and your insurance!!) rules about operating a car as a "learner car."
    The OP is from Melbourne, which may be in the US state of Florida or over on the other side of the world.

Many states simply require a second foot pedal, which is (or...used to be) pretty easy to do. Since the Prius lacks a proper hand brake, you'll have to see if your government and/or insurance required a second foot pedal and special permits/insurance/waivers/training...etc.

Good Luck!

2. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    So, your being chase by a serial killer and the only car available is a stick shift, which you can't drive... Sucks to be you! Everyone should know how to drive a manual!!!

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    While knowing how to drive a manual is a great skill to have, it won't be long until it goes the way of knowing how to fix a cassette tape with a pen.

Even Lamborghini has announced they are no longer putting manual transmissions in any of their vehicles going forwards. Autos nowadays are faster than manuals and non-conventional autos are more efficient. The only thing the manual has going for it is the fun factor. And that is a very under-appreciated trait today.

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That I do not know yet but I surely will ask and report back.

Mike :)

Mobile on my SGH-i717