1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius as mobile 120v AC power source

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by LDPosse, Jan 1, 2018.

1. LDPosse

LDPosse Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have my 2007 Prius that mainly sits idle during the winter months. My wife and I run a small farm, and we are having issues keeping fresh water available in our one pasture that is far from a 120v power source. Our water troughs have been freezing clean through with this extreme cold that our area only sees a few times per decade.

I was thinking of picking up a 1500+ continuous watt 12vdc to 120vac inverter and using the prius to power an electric stock tank heater until this weather breaks. The heater is a resistance type heating element rated at 1250w.

Does anyone know if the Prius electrical system is capble of supporting this type of load?

Thanks!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's too much if you're thinking of a 12 VDC input inverter pulling from the Prius's 12 volt DC/DC converter, which only has around 1200-1400 watts of capacity, some of which has to be used in the car itself.

It's not too much if you obtain an inverter suitable for 200 to 240 VDC input, and wire it into the high voltage system, as some people have done, but that is a more involved and expensive project demanding strong high-voltage safety skills.

-Chap

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You do know that they make propane powered heaters for stock tanks......right ??

I've used them in Illinois and think that would be a MUCH better solution than trying to use the Prius.