1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius as newspaper delivery vehicle?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dustin92, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm taking a newspaper route within the next week or so, it's what I have to do at this point to make ends meet (or come close anyway!) And I will be using my 2004 Prius. I've had it about 9 months now, put almost 20,000 miles on it with nothing more than oil changes and gas, so far the best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I'm sitting at about 193,000 miles with no signs of stopping. I'm just wondering if there's anything I should or shouldn't do? This will be mainly a rural route, some gravel roads, some paved, pretty much 45 mph or less, and lots of stop and go. About 70 miles a day, 4 days a week. Anything I should watch out for? Seems like the Prius would be an ideal vehicle actually. I know I'll need to be gentle with starts and stops for sure, I did a ride along with the current carrier this morning and she was definitely burning up the transmission in her Chevy Malibu, I could smell the fluid burning :/ she was being pretty jerky with starts and stops, punch the gas, punch the brakes, reverse/forward while still moving etc. I never drive like that in any vehicle. Any input is appreciated!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe follow the severe duty maintenance schedule.

Danny3xd likes this.
  3. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll have to look at that in my paperwork, I do currently change the oil every 5,000 miles with Mobil full synthetic 5w30 and a premium filter. No obvious mechanical problems at this point, although I may need brake pads soon and have a noisy exhaust leak somewhere. Runs perfect.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    severe duty is probably 2500 miles. especially the dirt roads. keep an eye on your air filter, and use a good one.

5. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's all? Sounds easy enough! How do you figure it will hold up?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    poorly, but what do i know? hope i'm wrong.

7. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why do you say that? What do figure will fail? Obviously brake pads will wear faster than in normal driving, but that's a normal maintenance item. I'm not trying to kill my Prius, I love it actually, but I have to do what I have to do at this point to pay bills. I was just curious what, if anything should but watched more closely or any extra maintenance I may need to do.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    only because you asked. it just sounds like it will be very hard on the car. i have no idea really though.
    i can't think of any other maintenance, i'm sure others will chime in. all the best!(y)

9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have driven a half rural newspaper routes here. But not with Prius. And I would say Prius is pretty much perfect vehicle for newspaper routes unless you need right hand drive (less driving on wrong side of road) or 4wd (for deep snow).

With Prius you can change direction while still not stopped and punch accelerator all you want with really no extra wear. And you will get a lot better fuel economy with Prius than with anything else.

Just standard maintenance should be fine. Brakes will wear a lot faster than normal driving but still last pretty long. Shocks will wear faster (maybe halving their life in miles/kilometers).

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's how I would describe my afternoon drive home in rush hour traffic on a paved highway. I think you will be fine as long as you don't drive too slowly to force EV mode. That's bad on your fuel economy and your battery. Don't do jack rabbit starts but don't turtle it either. Drive normally.

11. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most of the route is wrong side delivery, that's how the route list/directions are set up. Maybe 10-15 deliveries are actually on the right side. I figured on brakes, probably about due for those anyway (last changed before I got it at 99,000, now at 193,000), probably about due for shocks as well (have one starting to clunk, they are original), was planning on doing those in the spring anyway. There's only one delivery that may be an issue if we get more than a couple inches of snow, it's at the end of a dead end street with two steep hills and a couple tight curves. I've been told the customer understands if we can't get there, not to risk my safety trying. Otherwise the route is pretty flat. I do have new snow tires installed all the way around. I should be able to keep it in drive for most of the route, there are some turn arounds but I never switch gears while still moving, that's just something I've always been careful about. The car won't be shut off for 4-6 hours depending on the day (one day is delivery of a free paper, almost 900 of those, normally 150-200 deliveries) We will see how it holds up!

12. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is going to depend heavily on how you drive it while delivering the papers. If you accelerate gently on battery power and only use the motor braking by not pressing hard on the brake pedal, it should be OK. If you accelerate hard and brake hard, it isn't going to hold up any better than an old Corolla would under those conditions.

And MAKE SURE that no dust gets into the Traction Battery vent while your windows are down. The Gen-II doesn't have a filter there. The intake vent is at the side of the rear seat and should never be blocked by anything either. (No blankets back there!)

Bill the Engineer

13. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We bought a '08 at the end of '07 for my wife's Rural mail route, (300 stops a day, 6 days a week) from new on it was considered a work vehicle.

Maintance on other cars for the same job: (Ford Tempo, and Plymouth Acclaim) Bought used and used for 3 years.

Brakes: new pads every 6 months in front, 3 sets of pads per 1 new rotor.
    Tires 2 years
    Heavy duty trans oil change,every 2 years.
    Got stuck a few times im the snow per year
    Change oil every 3,000 miles
    MPGs 10 in winter 15 summer

Prius: used in route 7 years
    New brake pads every 2 years
    Tires once per year at Thanksgiving (new for snow)
    Change transaxle oil at 40,000
    stuck in the snow once, (went in a ditch)
    Changed oil every 5,000
    MPGs 23 in cold winter, 35 in summer
    New alxe w/bearing at 80,000 miles

Retired with 140,000 miles, and we still have it. Same battery (both, traction and 12v.)

While it did eat tires, the car still paid for itself. vs. the others

PS. You can turn the center console 180 degrees and slide it back, enabling you to drive from the right side (passenger side).You can't (that I'm aware of) on the newer models.

#13 bat4255, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the idea od starting new vs 193,000...

15. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like the idea of starting with new vs 193,000 miles as well, but I'm dealing with what I have. If I had a new Prius that would likely mean I have the money to make the payments without taking a newspaper route. In which case I likely wouldn't be doing a newspaper route anyway.

bisco likes this.
  16. bat4255

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Then there is the console issue. I would look for a gen II then change ALL the fluids, you should be fine.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the flying bridge?

18. bat4255

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  19. punkedprincess93

punkedprincess93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I drive a 2005 prius base model for delivery with papa john's pizza. Car had 252, xxx when I bought it in november. Yes it's high mileage, but it's runs great. I've put 6k on it since November 14th, and aside from being due an oil change I've never had an issue. I get 40 mpg, think that's due to needing some new tires and such but, car handled great in the snow and ice we got about two weeks ago, dropped her into b on the ice and snow and it handled great. As a delivery vehicle the thing amazes me. I love my car, it's comfy, and is a total workhorse.

SM-N900T ?

Danny3xd and bisco like this.
  20. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do courier, pizza delivery and now Uber/Lyft with my 2005. 260,000 miles and still running like a champ! It is the perfect, absolute perfect car for any sort of delivery. As Punked said, great in snow and ice. The fuel savings and reliability are fantastic.

Just a thought but Pizza delivery can pay really well if your schedule allows for weekday lunch rushes in business areas. Uber and lyft are ok if ya want to do early mornings or bar hrs. But bar hrs are a drag. Lots of work and heavy surges (prices/commission go up.) But ya have to deal with drunks. Cool part is ya turn the app(s) on, you are working. Turn it off and you're off. Good for extra cash but can't rely on it until ya get to know where an' when to be on. But a fun gig most of the time!

Best of luck, Dustin!

mmmodem likes this.