1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius as newspaper delivery vehicle?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dustin92, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Day 1 went as well as could be expected, it was 32 degrees, raining, and foggy. Roads were horrible, got stuck on a dirt road with 1/2" of ice. Took nearly an hour to get out. Later on almost got hit when someone spun out on another road. The Prius did great otherwise, didn't complain a bit. Averaged 39.4 mpg!! My driver's window is having a bit if trouble going down now though. Goes back up just fine! Day #2 starts at 2am tomorrow!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco and Danny3xd like this.
  2. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You go, Dustin!

3. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Day two was successful! Started delivering about 2:30 and finished about 8 am. 40.9 mpg average! Didn't complain a bit, went everywhere I needed to go. I did take it though a car wash this afternoon, it was totally brown from the door handles down! Took quite a while to wash all that off. I had to do a quick fix while out on the route though, my driver's window nearly stopped going down (had to push it down) but I remembered I had a bottle of 3 in 1 utility oil in the car- squirted some down both ends of the window track and after a couple up/down cycles it was working like new. Finished my route and took a friend to a Dr. Appointment 40 minutes away.

bat4255 likes this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Stitch in time ...

An oz of prevention saves a lb of cure.

5. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Exactly, I was afraid I was going to burn out the window motor so I was driving around with it down, 34 degrees. The heater couldn't keep up so I did what I could!

6. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In addition to the standard maintenance listed in the booklet:
    Do clean the pet hair out of the HV battery fan if you often transport pets.
    Do change the Transmission fluid every 100k mi. (Do not let anyone do an expensive "transmission flush")
    Do test the 12V battery under load. (Because the 12V battery is not used to crank the engine, it may not be obvious when it becomes too weak.)

Danny3xd likes this.
  7. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't have pets in the car often, we have a small short haired Chihuahua that doesn't shed much. I haven't seen any evidence of the original owner having pets either, and I've never really heard the battery fan running (only once or twice if I put my ear to the vent) I'm still on the original traction battery as far as I know and it seems fine. I'm not sure if the transmission fluid has ever been changed, better to change it or leave it alone? As far as I know the 12v battery is fine, nothing seems to be acting strange but I will check it soon.

8. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Change it. After doing it once, it takes the same mount of thime to change the oil

9. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Alright, as soon as I get the funds together I will do that

10. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only thing I would mention in addition to what other's have said is to understand the different Prius warm-up stages: http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/five-stages.txt

If you can be gentler on the car until it reaches at least S2, and perhaps even S4, you'll get better fuel economy and likely extend the life of the car. After some time you can recognize when the car is in S3 and wanting to go to S4 and then you just wait with the car stopped for 5-10 seconds until calibrates engine timings and turns off with a small "jolt".

Toyota doesn't call for changing the transmission fluid as they think of the life of the car as less than 200k. Based on the used oil analyses performed on this forum, the general consensus is to change the transaxle/transmission fluid at 30k, and then every 60k miles. On a car with close to 200k, I would change all fluids without a known history.

Danny3xd likes this.
  11. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Kevin!

12. PaperPrius

PaperPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A Prius is awesome for paper delivery! I bought a 2005 in July of that year with 5000 miles for just that purpose. It lasted me right at 11 years, with a guesstimated 360k miles. Besides chewing through tires (don't bother with OEM, because they were the worst!), I replaced 2 water pumps, one serpentine belt, 2 12v batteries, one wheel bearing, one CV shaft, 2 sets of plugs and one set of brake pads but not shoes, iirc. When the tranny died, it needed another wheel bearing.

My suggestions, besides staying up on recommended maintenance schedule: Use synthetic blend oil with viscosity appropriate to weather conditions and possibly an additive, replace tranny fluid at least every 50k miles, and find a way to install a filter on the air intake for the battery and learn how to quickly get that fan out and clean it regularly, probably whenever you change the tranny fluid. I also found that a K&N air filter did a better job of catching dust because it is oiled, but that also requires frequent cleaning and retreatment, more often than the suggested 50k miles.

The only problem I see for you is the traction control cutting power to the wheels when you'd be better off for them to keep spinning. I also got far better mileage than you are. One night I averaged 74.4 mpg, but that is in FL and eeking out every bit I reasonably could. I regularly got 60-62, and even on more rural routes I was in the 50s. However, you'll probably get better mpg in warmer months. I found that using the heater killed mine, since the engine has to run to keep replacing the heat lost quickly through open windows. I'd suggest trying a 12v seat warmer and leaving the heat off. In time, you'll also learn how to pop a paper in a tube without coming to a complete stop, which will help tremendously on both mileage and wear.

Danny3xd likes this.