1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius at a bird!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by A617, Aug 12, 2014.

1. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Edit** Title suppose to say. "Prius ate a bird!"

Well the title says it all. It all happened when I was heading off to work in the morning, during my commute I saw a small bird flew very low right in front of the left mid concerned of the car, i was amazed at first but then something dawned on me that bird never flew back up...like they always do, thats when panic and fear sets in. After getting to work i did a quick inspection maybe it hit the bumper or something but theirs no evidence of biologic stains marks or scratches so i though it may have flew off i quickly forgot about it, and I moved on............

4 DAYS LATER

So every week i do a weekly inspection of the engine compartment of its fluids, oil level ect ect, I decided to clean the engine bay a little as i seem to get lots of sand and grit all over the engine compartment so i begin to remove some trimming out of the and i begin to smell something that was ripe, VERY VERY RIPE, i was begin to think what was that smell i look and followed my nose and it pointed at the left front bumper....(some internal mental processing later) .....panic arises, Oh ****! I quickly removed top rubber cover that is located near the condenser and radiator (With all the yellow warning signs) and quickly looked down and saw what is left of a bird...Since ti was a hassle to remove the front fascia/bumper i grabbed a coat hanger made a fancy hook/loop and got that sucker out and cleaned that hell out of area and yelled at my Prius for eating a bird! .... on the bright side no damage was done on the car lower grill, but R.I.P poor bird.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yuck, one more reason to put a fine wire or plastic mesh behind the upper and lower grill openings. :eek:

Main reason is to protect the inverter and ICE radiators from rock damage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SCH-I535

#2 xliderider, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    MSA14 and fuzzy1 like this.
  3. Chris54

Chris54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple years ago I was driving at highway speeds with the windows down. I heard a loud 'thud' and couldn't figure out what it was. Later that day my daughter drove my car. She asked me, "Did you realize there is a dead bird in your back seat?"

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should have replied with, "Thank God! I thought that THUD came from the wino who stands at the corner of 4th and Main."

:LOL:

Chris54 likes this.
  5. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And the AC condenser which will cause expensive repairs sooner (IMHO) than a leak in one of the coolant systems

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good story to encourage weekly engine bay inspections.

Watched a documentary once where it was revealed that crows have an amazing capacity to remember the face of someone who has scared or harmed them. Coupled with the ability to communicate this to other crows, and across generations.

Hope it wasn't a crow.

hybridbear likes this.
  7. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No it was a sparrow, yeah I made it a habit when I had my first car as squirrels seems to love hibernating/living in my air vents.

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Once I drove fast in south FL (about 90 MPH) and killed a crane with a windshield. It cracked entire length across. It was very scary. It wasn't prius it was subaru. In my entire life I killed 2 dears and several birds, bunnies, squires, and other small creatures. All by cars, I don't hunt otherwise.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In other words, you have "a License to Kill" eh? ;) :D

I hope you meant to say you killed 2 deer and a squirrel, not girlfriends or spouses, or a young nobleman. :eek:

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A serial killer amongst us. :eek:

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good job spotting my dyslexia, LOL!
    On a second thought it could be ESL syndrome.

12. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've hit so many small woodland creatures with my pickup, I thought I should start putting decals on the driver side door like jet pilots have/had under the canopy to their cockpits. :D

Robert Holt likes this.
  13. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm still glad I did this over the holidays last year. If a bird hits the grille - that's where it stops.
    Prius front grill 016.JPG

14. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But you could still have the deer carcasses processed for venison, right? According to Wisconsin law at least, if you kill it with your car, you can keep it. Might be healthy as it would be range fed with no growth hormones, added antibiotics, etc.
    I hit a deer with an old Toyota Corolla, but I had locked up the brakes and was almost stopped. When I got out to inspect the damage, the deer jumped up and ran away!
    Hitting big black dragon flies up in Alberta this summer has made a mess on the front if our Prius.

15. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I hit a deer once in a snowstorm while driving my old '88 Buick Estate wagon. Caused a lot of damage but the car was still driveable.

Don't think the Prius would have stood up as well as the old Detroit iron did.

To install the mesh behind the grill; do you have to remove the entire bumper to do that? My car has those parking sensors at the sides and I am leery of pulling it off in case the alignment is as picky as the radar sensor is behind the front Toyota logo.

Roland

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the bumper cover needs to be removed to install mesh behind the grills.

SCH-I535

17. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Roland

18. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Putting them in front looks pretty nice it seems. I wonder if it does any kind of interference to the radar system.

19. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Isn't the radar sits right behind the toyota emblem? It shouldn't cause any interference unless you obstruct it directly.

20. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Relatively new here. Did you post photos of the install back then? That does look mighty nice.