1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius audio problem after replacing speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Baard Riiber, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Baard Riiber

Baard Riiber New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Prius 2011 with navigation (non JBL) that I bought recently. I didn't like the sound of the original speakers so I replaced the four speakers in the front with a Focal IS690TOY set which comes with two 6x9s for the front doors and two tweeters for the dash. They are plug-and-play compatible so they were very easy to install. They are supposed to cover frequencies from 50-20000Hz.

The result puzzles me. I now get a very nice and clear treble, very low bass (the doors are vibrating) and no mid tone. By adjusting the fader, I get the mid tones from the rear speakers and it actually sounds pretty good even though the mid tones now comes from the old low quality Toyota speaker. If I "push" the fader all the way to the front, there is only bass and treble.

The focal speakers are supposed to have a built in crossover. So to my question; Is there a crossover in the Prius that separates the signal to the dash and front door speakers? If so, where is it located? My thought is that if there is a crossover, this may send the mid tones to the wrong speaker. The dash speakers (tweeters) are much smaller than the original Toyota speakers. Any other ideas about what may be wrong?

I have sent an email to the web shop where I bought the speaker set, but the only answer I have received yet is that it will take long to get an answer from them because their support are heavily backlogged (Norway is shutting down the FM network this year and a lot of people are now installing DAB in their cars).

2. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I changed mine with jbl 3 way speaker 6*9 and it has really good bass.I didn't touch the dash speaker but I have pdf instructions from crutchfield for dash tweeter if u want I can email the instruction.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Baard Riiber

Baard Riiber New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes please. That would be very nice of you, but I'm not allowed to post my email address on this forum. It is a com address with my first name in front of the 'at' and my second name after.

4. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. Baard Riiber

Baard Riiber New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I did not. Please try again. The address is baard followed by at followed by riiber then a dot and com at the end.

6. Baard Riiber

Baard Riiber New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some additional information: After talking to the people that sold me the speakers I have found that these speakers have a crossover frequency of 4500Hz. They said I can lower this to 2000Hz by replacing the capacitor on the tweeters. I have also talked to Toyota. They did not know what a crossover is and had very little information. The only new information I got from them is that my car has a separate amplifier. I thought it was only the Prii with JBL that had a separate amplifier. The big question now if whether this amplifier has separate outputs for for the dash and door speakers.

7. jakeskin

jakeskin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This weekend I did the exact same thing. Installed the IS690TOY kit to my 2011 Prius with nav and discovered that it sounds just awful. Bass is better but the tweeters are too bright and loud and ruin the whole experience. And the mids are nonexistent. Also mobile calls connected with bluetooth sounds even worse. Very bassy and lots of clipping when turning up the volume to be able to hear the callers voice.

@Baard Riiber , you mentioned a recommendation to replace the capacitor in the tweeters. The tweeters are quite small and I didn't notice any electronics on or in them before installing them. Do you know which capacitor to replace them with and do you have any pictures of the modification?

I also noticed that the original tweeters did not have any capacitor, the signal seems to go right in. I ask the same thing, is there a crossover somewhere in the Prius? Have you managed to get more mids with the modification? Btw, I also noticed they are 8 ohms and not 4 ohms that I expected.

Not at all what I expected from this quite expencive kit made just for Toyota.

8. jakeskin

jakeskin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @Baard Riiber , do you have any more information that you can share?