1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius AWD - What are the specifications?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Eug, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Does anyone know the specs and design of the AWD in the 2016+ Prius model? I can't seem to find a good description of it. Even Wikipedia failed me here. No mention of AWD for the Prius.

BTW, now that I know an AWD Prius exists, I'm probably less likely to buy a FWD Prius in the future. I can wait though, considering I just got a Plug-in Prius last year.

2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :ROFLMAO: I have that one on my tool box at work.

4. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    #4 Eug, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  5. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Japan only I believe...

6. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    We know it's not coming to the US. I assume it's also not coming to Canada. do not know about Europe, but I'm guessing a no to Europe too.

However, this does bode well for a future AWD Prius in non-Japan markets, since Japan is often a test bed before releasing to other markets.

If those numbers are representative, and the fuel efficiency difference scales the same with real-world gas mileage, then it seems that AWD incurs a 5-6% fuel efficiency hit.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    upload_2016-1-22_23-45-6.png

upload_2016-1-22_23-45-57.png

The rear motor is pretty weak, especially compared to the one in the RAV4 Hybrid. I can see why TMS didn't bother offering it in the U.S.

7hp, 40.5lb-ft.

RAV4 Hybrid's 67hp rear motor (no idea what the torque measurement is)

8. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    What purpose is a 7 HP rear motor?

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    To get you unstuck, what purpose is two or three 0.7 HP humans? Answer, whatever works. ;)

10. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    1) At what RPM is it measured, and would it be different at say 4500 rpm?
    2) IOW, how strong is it really, compared to the RAV4? The RAV4 is 67 HP / 103 ft-lb torque.
    3) If it isn't very strong, will it really get you unstuck if there is no traction on the front wheels? Or is it just a small aid for weakened traction to the front?

I'm guessing it won't get you unstuck from a full stop if the front wheels are spinning, but it will help the front wheels maintain forward momentum that the car already has on a slippery road, or if the front wheels still have a fair amount of traction.

11. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    7HP is far more than is needed to get a car unstuck provided the gearing is low enough.

Unlike conventional 4WD, this rear wheel electric drive is separate from the front wheel drive. Provided the rear wheels have traction, it shouldn't matter what the front wheels are doing.

12. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I'm still having a hard time reconciling the spec difference from the RAV4 Hybrid AWD. Same setup with the independent rear electric motor, but on the RAV4 it's almost ten times the kW.

13. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Different purpose I expect. Getting unstuck is one thing, climbing a rough steep muddy or snowy road where various wheels will slip as you move up the road is another. The little motor might get you there but it will be pretty slow. The RAV 4 should be able to handle that kind of use. The Prius does not have the ground clearance that is so often needed under those conditions

14. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I still think Toyota should have offered it as an option in the states, I would have expected it to sell well (not to be used off road, but to give an advantage in the snowy states).

15. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I wonder what the torque is for the Prius AWD's rear motor. It is supposedly 103 ft-lb for the RAV4 Hybrid.

16. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I'm not so sure about that advantage. It has a lower ground clearance than the regular Prius. A photo in this forum showed the exhaust pipe ducking under the 4WD components and a cell phone leaning up against it. I suspect that the regular 2WD Prius with decent snow tires could go places this 4WD could not

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Prius AWD is shoehorned into the car. There is no room for the RAV4 type power range motor. The Prius eAWD system will work just fine on an icy or slightly snowy road to get you going when you otherwise would just spin the front wheels (slightly - traction control will intervene of course). Neither the Prius eAWD NOR the RAV4 eAWD system are intended for off-road use. From the owners manual. This also includes the Highlander Hybrid. And none of them work "at speed". RTFM.

But it's a moot point, as none of us will see it, at least for the time being. It's offered because there are those in Japan who want it and are willing to pay. And pay. And pay. And to compete with the other manufacturers in Japan that Toyota's boss wanted to compete with, they had to add it.

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm still thinking Subaru if I need an AWD car...but that's me.

19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I did the math in another thread but it'll provide 427 pounds of thrust at zero speed. You know how many people it would take on your rear bumper to provide that much thrust? Probably 6-8. I've pushed stuck cars out myself, and have done it many times with two people. This is plenty of power to get you unstuck or started up a slippery slope.

This is not an off road vehicle. This motor is to help you get started, get you unstuck, and help you up places like your driveway.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  20. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Well in that case it would have been nice to have that option in North America.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.