1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius basics?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by PRImeaUS, Nov 22, 2018.

1. PRImeaUS

PRImeaUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello and Happy Thanksgiving, Prius pals! My husband and I just bought our first-ever Prius yesterday - it’s a used 2014 Prius V Five - and we already love it.

However, we’re fairly clueless about all things Prius and hybrid in general. I’ve been reading some threads and seeing words like regen, pump and glide, EV, eco, HSI, and so forth thrown around, but I don’t know what they mean. Where can I find a great tutorial to get me up to speed (pun intended) on getting the best MPG and other important info? What tips do you have for us as new Prius drivers?

Cheers!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a starting point to better understand the car. Do not worry too much about the emergency response section.

Attached Files:

3. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here are the basics on maximizing your mpg, sometimes called hypermiling

4. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a glossary
    PriusChat Glossary | PriusChat

As you see, we wish to be very helpful, and are mostly harmless. Good news is that our best advice is 'Just drive it'.
    There are tons of techniques to get more MPG, but 95% is just drive it.

regen, pump and glide, EV, eco, HSI

Regen/ Regenerative Braking-Refers to the use of the motor generators as brakes that recover kinetic energy and convert it to potential energy stored in the High Voltage battery. Gentle braking is via regen, panic braking uses the friction brakes you are used to.

Pulse & Glide - (Also P&G) It refers to a type of driving that involves accelerating up to a set speed (usually 60kph/38mph), called pulsing and then letting the car glide down to a set speed (usually 40kph/25mph) and repeating as needed. If you are the only vehicle on the road, this will improve MPG, but is really annoying to others.

EV can mean 3 things, the v is not the first.

EV - Electric Vehicle.

EV Drive Mode - Refers to the electric drive mode engaged by pushing the EV switch/button. This allows pure electric motoring for short distances. In 2012 and newer, a "EV MODE" light will illuminate. In the v, this is almost always a gimmick.

EV Mode - To drive the vehicle in electric mode with only yellow arrows from the battery to the electric motor to the wheel on the Energy Monitor. Also known as Stealth mode. In 2012 and newer models, a little leaf car icon with "EV" in it will illuminate, indicating that the engine is off.

I would not bother with EV Drive Mode, and just let the computer choose EV Mode when it wants to. this is easiest in Cruise Control.

There are also two ECO modes:

ECO Mode - Reduces the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal, allowing finer control of acceleration as well as providing resistance to depress the accelerator harder than usual. It can help coach the driver in achieving better fuel economy. It may also engage the ECO mode for the climate control.

ECO/Hybrid ECO - In reference to the HSI, it is the area (either by a needle in the instrument cluster or an LCD display) that indicates the driver is driving in an economical fashion. An ECO light usually illuminates as well. Additionally, Prius, Prius c and Prius v models have a Hybrid ECO sub-section of the HSI (first half of the ECO area). This is the area where the electric motor is typically favored to power the vehicle. The engine may or may not be off, depending on various parameters.

HSI - Hybrid System Indicator - It refers to the screen with the diagonal bar depicting accelerator pedal movement in relation to the hybrid system's output as well as the amount of regenerative braking. It is split into 3 areas - CHG, ECO and PWR. The ECO area can be further divided into the Hybrid ECO area (the upper side) and the ECO area (the lower side). This display is to the left of the speedometer.

[​IMG]

You can see Charge mode in white, the two parts of Eco mode in green, and Power mode in Red.

If I have all the time in the world to brake, I try for two bars in the charge mode.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just love this forum. It wasn't my question but I am thankful for all the help I find here

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!

Here's one for the Gen 3 Prius (2010-2015). The basic hybrid system is the same as the one found on your Prius v

John's Stuff - Toyota Prius User-Guide

This video is pretty good too. It explains the Pulse & Glide technique.

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just drive it, it is just a vehicle to get you there.

Use fuelly.com to track your mileage. It takes a few fuel-ups before you get a true readout of what your driving style and terrain is going to give you in MPG. You can see other's results there and see how you compare.

Pay attention to tire pressures, a trade-off between ride comfort, handling and efficiency.

Leave the HVAC in Auto mode when you can (green light lit).

I drive 100% in ECO mode. I'm used to it. You may take some time adapting and find you don't like it.

I drive at the speed limit but don't hesitate to mash the gas pedal when necessary. I try to plan ahead. I generally an first off the changing traffic light due to my reaction time and not due to any desire to beat the other guy.

At 50k I have replaced tires only due to age (mine is a '12) and not miles driven. And wipers. And the 12v battery (again an age based decision, no symptoms of failure). I'm content to get within a fraction of what the EPA says I should get. My long term results are shown below. Some do better, some worse. I'm not in competition.