1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius battery died today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rio Kamimura, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Rio Kamimura

Rio Kamimura Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I messed up a couple weeks ago and left the car battery running while waiting for someone. I noticed after doing that, that whenever i had the car is standby mode the red triangle would come up and stay there. Today i got into my car and when i tried turning on the car it died and only had a check engine light come on. I read online that it was the battery so i got the car jumpstarted. We did this with one of those jump starter boxes (not another car) and now the car is running fine. I read that jump starting a prius could cause damage to it and checked the battery levels. When i pushed the power button once the 12v level was at 12.4. When i pressed it twice the level was at 12.1 and when the car is on the level is at 13.9. My 2004 prius is now at 161k miles. What would you do in my position? Do you think im fine using the car as is? or should i change the 12v, or check if the HV is alright?

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Flattening the 12V battery wont have any effect on the HV battery, so don't worry about that. Yes you should try charging the 12V battery. Do you currently own a charger?

With the voltage measurements, try measuring them first thing in the morning. Be sure not to allow the car to go to ready (at all on that day) before taking the first two voltage measurements.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm thinking you are probably low on oil or overheating. When your car is running, it will not drain your battery.

4. Rio Kamimura

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, thanks. I do not own a charger. Which type of charger do you recommend? also the red triangle is gone when the car is on standby now. Do you think the car is safe to drive? Everything seems to be working fine.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The newer style "smart" chargers are the best ones to get, as you can leave them connected for a long time (overnight or even 24 hours) without risk of overcharging.

It sounds like it's ok to drive it. Driving it around for a few hours will help the battery, but it probably wont fully recharge it. As I said before, the very best way to check if the battery is truly "holding up" is to test it first thing in the morning before it's been started or ready for that day.

BTW. I'm assuming that you flattened it originally by leaving it in accessory mode while you were waiting (for someone), is that correct?

6. Rio Kamimura

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    okay thank you! Yes i flattened it by leaving it in accessory mode while waiting for someone. Do you think it'd be fine to keep this 12v battery for now? or should i think about getting it replaced soon?

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Should be ok, just don't run the car without being in READY. In the Prius there is "off" where nothing is lit up, READY mode and ACC mode. In ACC mode the car is being powered off of the 12v battery. There are lawn mowers with bigger batteries. It is not meant to do that. ACC mode is for a quick check of the odometer reading or ejecting a CD. Not to sit and wait. READY is the default mode of the car. If you are in the car and want anything to be on, put it in READY. That simple, no questions asked. The engine already shuts off when not needed, you are not saving much in ACC mode. Technically you are saving about 300W to 400W of power that is "wasted" keeping the car alive and ready to move when not moving, but that's pretty small in the grand scheme of things. Also lets you run whatever you want like AC or the giant subwoofer you might have in the back.

If this is the first time you killed the battery, you are probably OK. If this is a chronic problem, then you might as well replace it. If this is your grandmother's car and you never want to risk her being stranded ever, then replace it.

The act of jumpstarting a Prius will not in itself damage the car. However, it is extremely easy to damage the car by blowing the inverter by connecting the jump leads backwards. This happens more often than you think, especially with quick roadside type mechanics who connect without thinking. In a normal car you might get some sparks and a laugh. In a Prius you will get a small pop, some smoke, and a $4000 bill from the dealership. Get yourself a pair of smart jumper cables and keep in the boot. Those will not allow wrong connections.

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not enough information.
    How old is the battery ?

If the answer is: "More than 5 years".....or....."I don't know", then you probably should consider a replacement soon.

You also could have a load test done on it after a good charge but those aren't always conclusive either.